Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: commerce problem

Question commerce problem

Hi, I want to list over 100 products in a straightforward button list, which will link to more details. When I use the data list, it's great that I can use an Excel spreadsheet as the source BUT how do I also get images of the products onto the stacked pages? I put images into the spreadsheet but they don't come out properly on the stacked pages.
    If I use the shopping cart option, the list is hopeless - even the simplest one is about three lines for each product with a button as well. Can I alter this so that the product name IS the button to further details? That would be the best solution I think.
    I had thought of simply having a hundred odd pages and linking them all by hand, but that seems a bit long winded.
    Sorry this is a bit long. Maybe someone could suggest another way to do this?
    best wishes
    BS

Well.... I'd do this with a database and PHP scripting, personally.

Stacked pages are incredibly inefficient for listing products.

It can be done with two html pages in Fusion. One to list the products and another as a container for the details displayed from a link.

Much more flexible.

Requires some coding ability or hiring a mercenary to help.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I have just scrapped a site that's taken 5 weeks to build using eCommerce.

Like 'business starter' I have a lot of products, 102, but also need to split them into 4 main categories, with 6 sub-categories.
    I also need to adjust delivery prices depending on the total order value and the size of the product (carrier charges me by cubic metre).

NOF11 eCommerce has proved to be totally inadequate, despite many hours of searching for 'workarounds', and the most frustrating part is the way NOF insists on 'updating' catalogs every time you exit any page - even when you haven't done anything to that page or catalog.

So, now I am rebuilding the whole site using tables with Mal's eCommerce. At least that allows me to layout the list and detail pages in a tidy, readable format.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    I have just scrapped a site that's taken 5 weeks to build using eCommerce.

Like 'business starter' I have a lot of products, 102, but also need to split them into 4 main categories, with 6 sub-categories.
    I also need to adjust delivery prices depending on the total order value and the size of the product (carrier charges me by cubic metre).

NOF11 eCommerce has proved to be totally inadequate, despite many hours of searching for 'workarounds', and the most frustrating part is the way NOF insists on 'updating' catalogs every time you exit any page - even when you haven't done anything to that page or catalog.

So, now I am rebuilding the whole site using tables with Mal's eCommerce. At least that allows me to layout the list and detail pages in a tidy, readable format.

The most flexible is a database driven store. There are canned ones out there or you can code your own (or have one coded for you).

If you do not want to get into that, you can go over my tutorial on using mals-e and Fusion tables to create a group of store pages. I don't think you would find it a satisfactory method of maintaining hundreds of items though. If your items did not change frequently or if you only wanted to change the buy option to "currently out of stock" it might be better than what you are doing now.... maybe.... take a look anyway

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4050
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    If you do not want to get into that, you can go over my tutorial on using mals-e and Fusion tables to create a group of store pages. I don't think you would find it a satisfactory method of maintaining hundreds of items though. If your items did not change frequently or if you only wanted to change the buy option to "currently out of stock" it might be better than what you are doing now.... maybe.... take a look anyway

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4050
    That's how I'm rebuilding the site now. That way I can basically put things where I want them instead of the inflexible way the NOF catalogs work.
    With the catalog detail pages, I couldn't place the image first, with text alongside it and the price/delivery/Add to Cart/Checkout option on a single line below. The best I could manage was text with image below, then qty (no choice there, it always appears no matter what), the price underneath that and delivery charge on the next line, andyet another line with Add to Cart on it. Messy.

With your method, I can now do it the way I wanted to originally. Maintaining the product tables isn't really an issue as they only change maybe twice a year.

Hey thanks for all the replies! I did sort the image thing, but then of course another problem cropped up, in that I couldn't get it to display only 2 decimal places.
    I've spent so much time on this, and boy it seems I'm not the only one! Voyager thanks for letting me know you had similar probs. I thought it was just me!

I don't know much coding, so I'll have a look at the Mal's tutorial suggested by GotFusion. I suppose there must be a price tag with Mals? Well I'll soon find out!

If there is an ongoing charge, is there something with a 'one off' chrage please?

Many thanks I'm glad of any replies and suggestions for solving this.

Quote Originally Posted by frustrated View Post
    I don't know much coding, so I'll have a look at the Mal's tutorial suggested by GotFusion. I suppose there must be a price tag with Mals? Well I'll soon find out!

If there is an ongoing charge, is there something with a 'one off' charge please?
    Mals-e has a free and paid cart. The difference is # of transactions per day and features. You can start with the free and see if you need anything else. If you are successful enough to have to go to their paid version the cost should not be an issue
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Well that's good and I found the free one. HOwever, it looks as though it isn't much better than using the data list option with internal data from Essentials. I am not too worried about the add to cart and all that as Paypal seem to have made that part easy, and we have already registered with them.
    The hard part for me is to place the list of products just as we want it, and have the detailed pages coming up. With Mals this seems to have to be done by hand rather than imported from a database or spreadsheet, sowhy not just use the existing option and then add Paypal buttons to it?

I found a snag! The stacked pages all contain the same data, although I have managed to get the different photos on the pages by using the properties dialogue box and selecting them.
    Now if I insert the HTML for an 'add to cart' button, with the name of the product and total cost in the code, it puts this same button on each page. Is there some way I can put a different button on each page?

Quote Originally Posted by business starter View Post
    I found a snag! The stacked pages all contain the same data, although I have managed to get the different photos on the pages by using the properties dialogue box and selecting them.
    Now if I insert the HTML for an 'add to cart' button, with the name of the product and total cost in the code, it puts this same button on each page. Is there some way I can put a different button on each page?
    If you are seeing the same content on all pages you have placed the content into the masterborder. See this page for more details: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=382