Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Navigation Bar Problem

Default Vertical Navigation Bar Problem

I cannot make my vertical navigation bar work correctly - the buttons for the 3rd level down are simply big red crosses on the 2nd level page they should originate from (sorry for the non-tech words, but I am a complete novice). I have tried finding the solution in the help areas but couldn't find an answer. I have tried all the permutations I can think of in the Navigation Bar Properties, but when I change that for one page, it changes for every page. The horizontal navigational bar at the bottom is doing the right thing. I've checked the properties for that and made those changes for the vertical bar and still no go. My daughter set up the basic page and structure, but she is out of the country for 2 months and is difficult to contact, so she may have done something I know nothing about. I hope this is a clear enough explanation. Thanks.

Melody,

The 'big red crosses' are telling you that the images are not there. Each nav button has 4 images for each state. These are auto generated images. Before you dig too deep in to NOF it is usually best the do a clean publish of the entire site. I would suggest that you locate your local publish folder, rename it to XXXLocal Publish and then do a full site publish. Most of the time that will fix the problem. If not come back and let us know what happened.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I cannot make my vertical navigation bar work correctly - the buttons for the 3rd level down are simply big red crosses on the 2nd level page they should originate from (sorry for the non-tech words, but I am a complete novice). I have tried finding the solution in the help areas but couldn't find an answer. I have tried all the permutations I can think of in the Navigation Bar Properties, but when I change that for one page, it changes for every page. The horizontal navigational bar at the bottom is doing the right thing. I've checked the properties for that and made those changes for the vertical bar and still no go. My daughter set up the basic page and structure, but she is out of the country for 2 months and is difficult to contact, so she may have done something I know nothing about. I hope this is a clear enough explanation. Thanks.

As Paul suggests, clean up your work files and do a full site generation. Follow this tutorial: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029

If you still have problems post a URL of the web site so others can see what is going on.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks, guys. I tried the full site publishing thing, and it didn't help. I know the images for the buttons are there, because they appear when I change the navigation bar level on the Jewellery page to 'child'. As I said before, having this on 'child' results in every page having that attribute and only showing the Home button. My website is www.melodytallon.com
    Thanks.

Melody,

So the only problem is that the images under the Jewellery button (/assets/images/autogen/Bracelets_N, /assets/images/autogen/Necklaces_N, /assets/images/autogen/Earrings_N and /assets/images/autogen/Misc_N) are not getting uploaded to the server? Are they being generated - look in the /assets/autogen folder - if they are there just upload them to the server, if they are not I'd be surprised
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Hi Paul,
    No, they are not showing up on my page even before I publish to the server. I look in the Assets folder (I'm assuming you mean the tabs at the top of the page) and there is no autogen folder. Is this because I'm using the free software?

Melody,

No I mean look in the published folder files. In Local Publish there will be a series of folders such as /assets and /html, maybe /scripts if you are using forms etc. Fire up Windows Explorer and navigate to your site's local publish folder, double click it, and do the same on the /assets folder. In that folder you will find another folder called /images - this is where the images you place on pages are stored. There will be another folder under this called /autogen and this is where NOF automatically stores all images it creates from navigation bars. Every file in this folder needs to be on the server, otherwise you get the missing red crosses.

When you publish locally your browser should fire up so you can view the pages just published. When you navigate to the offending page I suspect you will see that all your buttons are working - which will confirm that you just need to upload the missing images.

If you are using NOF's in-built FTP facility (I guess you are) this does happen - it just fails to upload files sometimes. For that reason I don't use NOF for uploading and prefer to use an external FTP program. There are many free options out there, so Google "free ftp client" and try one of those.

Good luck - and let us know.

@ melody

The pictures are not to be found on your server. What you could do is to load them again using style view. Go to style view, click on the button used for the third level, replace the picture using another name for it. Repeat the procedure for every button setting (hover etc there are four of them). Publish again. I guess it should work now.

Back again. I found the autogen file and the four missing button images were there, with all of them having the red 'never published' status in both Last Remote Publish and Last Local Publish. So the question is, how do I get them published? As for trying an external FTP program, I'm struggling enough with this one, so I really don't want to have to learn how to do something else. However, if that is all that will help, I guess it will have to do. If so, any suggestions for a reliable program would be appreciated :-)

You can use FileZilla, it's pretty straightforward. However, try to do what I described above, I'm sure it would be no problem at all.

Best regards
    Barbara