Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Center in browser problem

I would recommend that you get rid of the frames.
    For start it doesn´t look very good with this scroll bar next to the navigation and it will solve your problems with centering the pages and your fly-out navigation as well.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

The scoll is there if your monitor is at a lower rez. Mine is maxed at 1280 x 1024 and the scroll bar is not present. It is on my wifes machine as here's maxes at 1440 x 900.
    I just don't know any other way to have a stationary nav bar.

And if you missed it, I did update my first post with several thoughts...
    "Every morning is the dawn of a new error"

I know that the scroll only appears when your monitor is at a lower rez, like you say.
    But you don´t make a website for yourself, do you?
    Quite a lot of people still have 1024 x 768.
    And frames are really out-dated. They were used a lot 6-10 years ago.
    It´s normal by now that the whole lot scrolls together.

But everybody to his own liking, it´s just a suggestion to solve your problems.
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

I appreciate it. And I am considering it. May have to redo the entire format when I implement FancyBox for all my images. I know there are java menus that float on the screen. That could be one way around it. I'm just not big on coding as I learn what I need to get through what is at hand. As it is, FancyBox is going to be a stretch for me. I'll do a quick test to see what the pages look like without frames.

Same problem, just now the nav bar moves with the width of the content and the banner still shifts from center to off center to the right.
    Last edited by Talcum X; 10-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talcum X View Post
    Same problem, just now the nav bar moves with the width of the content and the banner still shifts from center to off center to the right.
    You cannot center frames (at least easily). Frames are separate HTML documents and as such will behave independent of each other when you try to apply a center to each of them
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I'll do a quick test to see what the pages look like without frames.

You disabled your frames for a test and find out that your content and your navigation is moving about when you center your pages?
    It looks like you didn´t use tables when you created your pages. Tables make everything rock-solid.

If you really gotta have a menu that's sticky and appears on your page in the same location while you scroll content, you can use AllWebMenus.

DHTML menus and there's a free Fusion component for adding them to your site.

You'll find a tutorial on BeyondFusion.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks for the input, all of you. Actually, I'm not trying to center the frame. I want it all the way to the left as it is (at the moment)...so that headache is not mine in all of this. I just want the body content to center is all. I realize with the frame there, it will only center the remaining area to the right. I'm finding out as I work with this more and more that my main problem is the varying width between pages. Because of this (and that NOF centers the objects as a group in relation to each other) is the reason my center point between pages differs. Once I create a standard width (objects on either side and no further than the boundaries) things should start working as I plan on them too. Reducing the size of all the images will achieve this. Plus, as I have learned, the frame will adjust to the objects within it, not just what the code says it is. If it's empty of objects, it will get squished by the body during the center process. BUT, if I place a transparent .PNG file at the right most edge of the frame, it doesn't squish, unless it runs out of real estate at the right end of the screen. So I'm making progress here...just venturing into places I haven't explored yet.

You are on the right way. If you make your pages the same width, create the content and the masterborder and navi in tables, you will find out nothing shifts anymore.
    Getting rid of the frames would be very good, because they have the tendency to stick to the outside.
    And like you found out, if you place your objects freely in the content, NOF will find SOME middle to center the lot, it will never be the middle that you think it is.

Hope you understand what I mean....

I think I know what you mean, Mia, about putting everything in tables. Is that in TOOLS/OPTIONS/CURRENT SITE menu under the GENERAL tab. Currently set for Dynamic Layout, though it's not set at Regular Tables or Fixed Width, though I tried them both and the output looked the same, so I went back to Dynamic....but like I said, my primary issues right now is the varying width of my pages. Let me fix that and we shall see if things start lining up correctly. But if you could explain placing everything in tables to me a bit more, I would appreciate it. I went through the help on that, but really didn't answer the question.
    I did try placing everything on a page within a single text box and a singe cell table. but I cant position the images freely. I have to select fixed positions in the properties box....if this is what your leaning towards....