Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I see is not what I get

Default What I see is not what I get

Hi,
    I have been having a problem consistently in that what I design in design view is not what I see in preview and its very difficult to get what I want.
    For example I have a text box with a with a picture next to it. In design it shows the text box with color continuing after the picture but its not there in preview.
    How do I manage to work so that what I actually see in design is what comes up in preview?
    Thanks so much

I'm not quite sure I understand what is happening. Certainly sometimes things don't always align the way you think they will when NOF generates the code.

When I have problems getting things to align the way I want, I will often create a table and place the elements into cells in the table. EG. Image in one cell, text in the next, etc. This provides a better structure for NOF to align things. NOF does it's thing by generating tables anyway, so this forces your content into a table you define.

If your problem is related to the graphic, if it is a PNG with transparency, NOF doesn't play nicely with PNG in preview, but looks fine when published.

A URL to a page with the issue, or some screenshots would be helpful in seeing what's going on with your layout.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Default I attached images

first of all I am so excited to have found this forum. I kept emailing support with questions and it takes them 4-5 days to answer.
    anyway I attached 2 images of what something looks like in design and in preview for you to see
    Thanks so much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	master border in&#32.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	master border in&#32.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	500  

The red circle with the white exclamation mark means something is overlapping. If the entire blue banner is an image, and the picture of the girl is also an image, they cannot be on top of each other. At that point, all bets are off as to how NOF deals with it.

If you need to overlap images you can set your site to fixed layout, which will allow this.

Have a look at this thread.

HTH
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

the blue banner is actually the background of a text box with a blue background. It was extending up to the image which is an image in a picture box right next to the text box. I can move it over a bit so that it doesn't overlap but it still doesn't help me understand why in my design view it shows it extending to the end of my layout yet doesn't really extend in preview. how would I get the results I needed like getting the whole blue text box along with the image to go over the whole top of my layout if whenever I do it, the preview shows me that in actuality I did not do it?

Ok I read the thread you referred to above which helped a bit but it still doesn't help the length of that layout region match the size of the layout below it. do I have to just keep steretching in and checking in preview if it reached the right size?

Could you also answer this question for me that I had emailed support last week and haven't hear from them yet.
    I enclosed two more screenshots of 5 images that are in a table with split cells and in design they look one way and in preview the other. Could you tell me what I did wrong?
    thanks so much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot with &#1.JPG 
Views:	303 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot with &#1.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	502  

In Page View, do you notice how your 3rd image is actually larger than the cell that it is sitting in? This is slightly buggy behavior on NOF's part because it ought to widen the table for you... but try to expand the width of your table and see if it behaves a little better.

Since you apparently have quite a complex layout you should follow RayCs advise. Use tables. Your banner should be created as a grafic banner incl. the picture of the girl as a part of it. It can be placed in a table, doesn't have to if there is no navbar underneath it. I never use fixed layout output if not absolutely unavoidable.

Place a table in your layout with exact the same width as the banner. Adjust your page width accordingly. Use background, paddings and borders in the CSS-formats to decorate your homepage. Copy the completed tables into other pages to have exactly the same layout on each page.

Your second question: Normally the pictures should show up allright. These problems can happen when you insert Text in the cells, or when you insert pictures and change their size afterwards or fiddle with the cells. There is another aspect to it: NOF doesn't like the dividing of cells. If you want to have a stable show of your pictures, place them in a new table, define padding in the properties box, and insert the table into the mother cell.

Twayne

Default Re: What I see is not what I get

In news:barbara0701.4hath0@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    barbara0701 <barbara0701.4hath0@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Since you apparently have quite a complex layout you should
    > follow RayCs advise. Use tables. Your banner should be
    > created as a grafic banner incl. the picture of the girl as
    > a part of it. It can be placed in a table, doesn't have to
    > if there is no navbar underneath it. I never use fixed
    > layout output if not absolutely unavoidable.
    >
    > Place a table in your layout with exact the same width as
    > the banner. Adjust your page width accordingly. Use
    > background, paddings and borders in the CSS-formats to
    > decorate your homepage. Copy the completed tables into
    > other pages to have exactly the same layout on each page.
    >
    > Your second question: Normally the pictures should show up
    > allright. These problems can happen when you insert Text in
    > the cells, or when you insert pictures and change their
    > size afterwards or fiddle with the cells. There is another
    > aspect to it: NOF doesn't like the dividing of cells. If
    > you want to have a stable show of your pictures, place them
    > in a new table, define padding in the properties box, and
    > insert the table into the mother cell.
    >
    >
    >
    > "When the shoe fits, you don't think about the foot"
    > (Chuang Chou)
    >> 'NOF-SCHULE - Forum, Tutorials und Support f|r NetObjects
    >> Fusion -

> Ein eigenes Design mit NOF' (http://www.nof-schule.de) |
    > 'Facebook' (http://www.facebook.com/NofSchule) | 'Twitter '
    > (http://twitter.com/NOF_Netobjects) |

I concur; and also check your Preview setting to be sure it uses the same
    browser you view the actual site with.
    Tools; Options; Application.
    There you can choose IE or FF or add your own browser. Different browsers
    dsplay differently, especially IE and any other browser.

Just a thought.
    HTH,

Twayne`

Quote Originally Posted by faigekobre View Post
    the blue banner is actually the background of a text box with a blue background. It was extending up to the image which is an image in a picture box right next to the text box. I can move it over a bit so that it doesn't overlap but it still doesn't help me understand why in my design view it shows it extending to the end of my layout yet doesn't really extend in preview. how would I get the results I needed like getting the whole blue text box along with the image to go over the whole top of my layout if whenever I do it, the preview shows me that in actuality I did not do it?
    As far as the top banner is concerned, what you've described will indeed result in an overlap between the text box and the image. It may seem kind of subtle, but by dragging the text box over the graphic, that causes them to be on top of each other. You need to drag the graphic INTO the text box and place it inside with the text. You can then set text wrapping properties for the image to control how they interact. For this, I would think "Wrap Left" to place the image on the right side and the text on the left.

Although, truly, in this situation, I would:
    • create a 1-row by 2-column table,
    • set the background color of the table to blue,
    • and put the text in the left cell and the image in the right cell.

Adjust to border to zero, and you're done.

As to width, if you do everything right, you should be able to drag the side of the table to the width of your page and it will stay put. If your page width changes however, due to other overlaps for instance, the table will stay at the width you set. You can also change the table width to be "percent" instead of "pixels", and set it to 100%, and that should adjust to the total width of your layout.
    Last edited by RayC; 09-15-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in