Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two people updating a site

Default Two people updating a site

My boss wants to update our website from his PC, in addition to me updating the site. How can I keep the website in sync. e.g. My boss makes a change, how can I migrate the changes to my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    My boss wants to update our website from his PC, in addition to me updating the site. How can I keep the website in sync. e.g. My boss makes a change, how can I migrate the changes to my PC.
    Break the site into 2 sections. One person update one section. The other person update the other section. Link from section to section (via the menu structure) by using absolute external URLs.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

It is a small site, so we would probably be updating the same location.

One solution for me is to create a new site and import from the actual website. Not very pretty, but it should work. If I made a change, he does not have the computer skills to update his version.

Any other ideas.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Break the site into 2 sections. One person update one section. The other person update the other section. Link from section to section (via the menu structure) by using absolute external URLs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    It is a small site, so we would probably be updating the same location.

One solution for me is to create a new site and import from the actual website. Not very pretty, but it should work. If I made a change, he does not have the computer skills to update his version.

Any other ideas.
    thanks
    Fusion is a single user software program. Any changes made by another person will be over written when the original author generates the pages that do not have the updates/changes made by the 2nd user.

This is NOT to say that it cannot be done. The original 2001 gotFusion web site was authored and maintained by a dozen people. All were advanced users so knew all of the pitfalls and how to avoid them. Each author was responsible for a designated "section". each section referenced the other sections through the main menu using absolute external links.

Without a "plan" you will end up with a mess and a lot of arguments.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

You can use a 3rd party cms program like cushyCMS or surealCMS. This would allow content to be edited by any number of people as it does not involve Fusion.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. Hopefully he lets me do it and keeps his hands off the site.

Of course it is possible, I know a few people you work on the same project without splitting it into different sections.

But it´s not worth in your case with a small website.

After every change you make a template of the website and load it into a special folder on your server.
    The other person grabs the template from the server, makes a new site and carries on working..... makes a template, shifts it onto the server.... and so on...

Well, since your boss is not a skilled computer person, he should rather leave the whole lot to you.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Thanks.
    bob

I tried to create a template and get the following error

The jpg file is in the correct folder. Have no idea how to fix.

BTW, I am using version 8

Eureka. Problem solved. found this link: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

Thanks for you help. Pointed me in the right direction.