Thread: need to transfer fusion 8 to my new pc

Default need to transfer fusion 8 to my new pc

I have just built a new pc and I need to transfer/export/move/whatever---the files needed to access my website that was built while fusion8 was on my OLD pc. I have installed fusion8 on my NEW pc but of course there are no files in fusion8 that will allow me to get into my website. I still have my OLD pc up and working (but it is not connect to the internet) so I can get at the old files in fusion8. I have tried to move some files from the OLD pc to the NEW pc but that hasn't worked.

Any help would be appreciated--I have a small RealEstate business and the website needs to be updated on a regular basis.

If your old PC is still working, this should be no trouble at all to move your projects to the new pc.

You create templates of your projects in NOF8 on your old pc, store them onto a CD, USB stick or else.
    Copy the templates, they are .zip files, onto your new PC.

Open your NOF8 on your new pc and start to import the project by making a New Site > from Template, search the .zip file on your harddrive, rename the project and click OK.
    That's all.

Here you can read how to create templates:
    http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Almost sounds TOO easy---Yes the old pc is still working. What I did today was to copy the contents of a folder called "USER SITES" in my old pc. I then pasted these into the same folder in my new pc. At this point I was able to find and open the files needed to work on my website. However, I noticed that some of the pictures that I had on certain pages were missing (those missing pictures are okay on the actual website. I also received a message when I first started the Fusion8 program--something about the backup information was not available (sorry that I didn't copy that message).

About your answer--when you say "You create templates of your projects in NOF8 on your old pc...." Just how do I need to "create templates" of my projects. Should I uninstall Fusion8 and the files that I moved ? Please excuse me if I seem dumb about NOF8. I only have the one website and I made that several years ago so I am not as up to date as I would like to be (or hope to be!!)

One other thing that I failed to mention is that the old pc OS is XP PRO and the new pc is Windows 7.

What you did is fine... as long as the old and new paths are exactly the same. The missing images were probably somewhere on your drive outside of the site's assets folder. (there's a lesson in that)

You make templates in Fusion from Site view. you can export the entire site or selected pages. And choose to include or not include your remote publish profile.

This is a way to move a site to another computer or to backup your site(s) off your hard drive. Either on a CD/DVD or another dirve or even on your web server.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I can go to the "assets" folder and the pictures are there--I guess somehow they just didn't get to the right place.And when I go to the page in NOF8 there is just a square frame where the picture should be. I think I will start over (tomorrow) and do it the way it is outlined in the tutorials---I will let you know how it goes in a couple of days--(I just have to get some OTHER things done this week.--thanks for your help to this point--you are all great!!!

You need to either export the site from your old computer or relink all missing assets. The 2 tutorials explained how to export the site from your old computer and import them into your new one. If you use this method all images will be saved with the exported template and when you import the template into your new computere... shazam... all of the images will be there

This tutorial will tell you how to manually relink the missing images if you would rather do it that way: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=357

you will end up with the same results regardless of which method you choose.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Well guess what guys---I uninstalled the software and then reinstalled the software. Then I exported as a template from my old pc--and then imported as a template into the new pc---And I have the same problem!!!!! The pictures that are missing are in the assets file but the page in NOF8 has the little red "!" icon in the upper left corner--when I put the cusor over it I get a message saying "unsupported picture format" (it is the same format as the rest f the pictures--jpg!!!) my next try is ""This tutorial will tell you how to manually relink the missing images if you would rather do it that way: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=357""

We will see what happens.

I think that I will just replace those missing pictures with different ones (the program will NOT let me reinstall those pictures from my files--not a problem--the website is not that big so it will not be a lot of work) Thanks for your help--I did learn some important info from you all--thanks again--