Thread: Trial Web Site Background

Angry Trial Web Site Background

I'm new to this so please bear with me. I started with Net Object Essentials last year. I build a quick web site for my business which is custom stained glass, yes... sigh... using a template. I've since tossd templates aside and built a nice simple site that focused on my product. I was a mainframe programmer for over 20 years but I've been out of the business for over 10 years so some of these products that build web sites seem nice and quick but actually frustrate me as an old code slinger. I don't want to sling code... OK? AND I get frustrated with code generators and you'll find out why soon. In Nov, I decided to buy Net Object Fusion 11 HOPING I'd get more fexibility, functionality and control without having to learn more code.

I recently wanted to change my site "look" and decided to use a pre-existing style from the online library. It's called Ripple. When I view it in Fusion, it looks good to me, black background, half-way decent images, etc. When I publish it to my hosting server, the first page looks good too. But click on any link and all the sudden my nice simple black background is replace by a white background with "Trial Web Page" all over it. It even happens if I click on the Home link which looked good to start with.

I've browsed the source and I see where some bugger or another is putting in a link to this "trial" background but for the life of me I can't tell what is generating it or how to get rid of it.

Please, someone help me. My web site is www.mountain-rainbows.com Thank you!
    Last edited by sdaugherty; 09-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.

martin young

Default Re: Trial Web Site Background

Hi there,

The first line of your body code reads

<body background="http://images.bizland.com/bg_trial.jpg" style="margin:
    0px;">

which is the white image. The background image for the site should be
    specified in the in the stylesheet (see 'Style' on the Fusion menu bar and
    set it there).

Hope that helps

__________________________________________________ _______________

Martin Young

Consciousness Designs - Graphic & web design for awakening people &
    organisations

tel: 0800 2983029
    mob: 07970 415398
    e-mail: martin@consciousnessdesigns.com
    web: www.consciousnessdesigns.com
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this e-mail?

"sdaugherty" <sdaugherty.4i0mvb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> wrote in
    message news:sdaugherty.4i0mvb@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...
    >
    > I'm new to this so please bear with me. I started with Net Object
    > Essentials last year. I build a quick web site for my business which is
    > custom stained glass, yes... sigh... using a template. I've since tossd
    > templates aside and built a nice simple site that focused on my product.
    > I was a mainframe programmer for over 20 years but I've been out of the
    > business for over 10 years so some of these products that build web
    > sites seem nice and quick but actually frustrate me as an old code
    > slinger. I don't want to sling code... OK? AND I get frustrated with
    > code generators and you'll find out why soon. In Nov, I decided to buy
    > Net Object Fusion 11 HOPING I'd get more fexibility, functionality and
    > control without having to learn more code.
    >
    > I recently wanted to change my site "look" and decided to use a
    > pre-existing style from the online library. It's called Ripple. When I
    > view it in Fusion, it looks good to me, black background, half-way
    > decent images, etc. When I publish it to my hosting server, the first
    > page looks good too. But click on any link and all the sudden by nice
    > simple black background is replace by a white background with "Trial Web
    > Page" all over it. It even happens if I click on the Home link which
    > looked good to start with.
    >
    > I've browsed the source and I see where some bugger or another is
    > putting in a link to this "trial" background but for the life of me I
    > can't tell what is generating it or how to get rid of it.
    >
    > Please, someone help me. My web site is www.mountain-rainbows.com
    > Thank you!
    >
    >

In my style sheet the background image says none. Thus my confusion about where this stupid image is coming from. Any other suggestions?

When I look at your site, the background for all the pages is black.

Looking at the code, I do see the link to http://images.bizland.com/bg_trial.jpg, which is odd.

(The other thing I see is Dark Blue text against a BLACK background on the "About Us" page. That will have to change eventually.)

Do you have any dealings with "Bizland.com"? I see they are a web host, and have "Trial Memberships". Is this what you have?

If this is the case, this may be "injected" by the hosting company until you pay up.

If none of this is the case (or even if it is), here is what I would do:
    • Perform a "Local Publish" of your site.
    • Look in the "/Local Publish" folder, open /html/about_us.html (or any of your other pages) in an HTML editor, a text editor, or even your browser and use the "View Source" command.
    • Check to see if the link appears in your code.
    • If not, log onto your web server and delete ALL the files for your site and republish. (Or use FTP to transfer the site from the "Local Publish" folder -- same thing.)
    • Now visit your site, view source, and see if it's back.

If you're still stumped after that, report back what you find.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Ray, thanks for taking a look. Shortly after the first reply here I went back to fusion and messed around a bit. I tried changing the none on background images to some other image. When it produced something rather "funky" I changed it back to none. Then I republished the entire site. Viola, the background is now black. Don't ask me why but it is.

I think you may be right about it coming from somewhere other than fusion but I really don't know how it could. All I do is publish the entire site straight from fusion to my host computer. The host isn't suppose to do anything except store it the way I have it set up. But who knows. I've never heard of the company in the link.

Believe me I've seen stranger things in my life as a programmer so I guess I should just consider myself fortunate that it's been sort of solved... and I do say sort of as I bet it will crop up again someday.

I just performed a local publish and the link for a background image isn't there and it's obviously still in the code on my site even though the background is black as it should be. I will do some more research and get back to you... I may hang my hosting company out to dry if they are the cause... I've been with them for over a year.

Oh, and I'm on an auto pay with my host company and am always paid up... but it's a thought. I'd already gone through the whole clean out the file system on the host and re-ftp all files before I ever asked this question. But thank you for confirming my steps. I guess once and old programmer, always an old programmer.