Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Google Analyitics Gurus out there?

Default Any Google Analyitics Gurus out there?

Hi,

I have a question that I can't get a satisfactory answer to...yet.

I have a client that had a 10 year old site from a previous developer that I recently redesigned and it's been live now for roughly 3 months. The entire site content was re-written by a professional copy writer and other than the home page (index.php) pretty much every page on the new site is [a] differently named and [b] has new content.

In GA we are seeing an old site page called /chemkitch.htm (and a handful of others) that no longer exists and I can't figure out why it is showing as having 236 hits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Content..jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	529

There is a 404 page on the server and I would have expected that page to get the 236 hits (plus any other old site pages that are bookmarked or linked on other sites) but the 404 page hit value is only showing up as having under a dozen hits.

Any ideas?
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

What is the URL of the site?

have you tried to go directly to that page to see what happens?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Were the old site pages actually deleted from the web server? Or was the new site just published on top?
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Hi,

@Mike - the url is www.faia.org.uk and yes if you attempt to visit any of the old pages that appear in GA you get taken straight to my 404 page. So www.faia.org.uk/chemkitch.htm will go to the 404 page; as will any other bad url.

@Chuckj - the domain nameservers were moved to my new host and the old site probably remains somewhere on the clients old server.
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

This is one you need to dig into on the google analytics site/forum as it is something that should not be showing or what it means needs to be explained. I would be interested in hearing what you find out

I believe Chuck was suggesting that the pages may still be on the current server location but since the name server records have been changed there is no way to get to the old page outside of a direct IP/page reference and this would not show up in analytics as the page hit would be on the other server.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Mike,

Yeah, I've trawled the GA forum for help but as I stated up front, still yet to find a satisfactory answer. I've posted the same question on the GA forum, so maybe some bright spark can shed some light on it. If and when I get some feedback I'll post it here too.

Edit: Two more hours of trawling and no nearer an answer!
    Last edited by Adendum; 09-30-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Actually, depending on where the new name servers are and whether the old DNS has been taken down by the old host, updates may not have propagated completely yet and some requests may still be hitting the old DNS.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck,

Understood but the OLD site wasn't one of mine and the previous developer was using Urchin for tracking so any tracking code in the OLD pages should be irrelevant. The OLD and NEW sites are 100% different beasts; OLD was on a UK server and had Urchin tracking and NEW is on a USA server with GA tracking. The new site was uploaded, DNS changed and as far as I am aware the OLD files probably remain on a physical UK server but these can't appear in the DNS network because the domain nameservers were changed 3+ months ago.

The /chemkitch.htm page is an example of a page that was never created in the NEW site and the page suffix was never used in any pages for the NEW site (all .php) therefore chemkich is exclusively OLD site and has never been anywhere near the NEW site or server. Thus my bemusement.

Default The mystery deepens!

I am no closer to finding the answer to why chemkich.htm is appearing in GA but, as ever when trying to find an answer, one of the sidetracks I followed produced another mystery.

I logged in to GA and looked at the TOP CONTENT
    I clicked on the chemkich.htm underlined link to show the CONTENT DETAIL
    Underneath the graph you'll see a drop down box that has 'content detail' showing - so I changed it to ENTRANCE SOURCES
    And you'll see the main source for this page is wtps.org

Enter wtps.org into a new browser and then try and figure that out!

Default 301 Redirect

If you moved the page - and it won't ever go back to the old URL (e.g. you converted the site from .htm to .php) - then use a 301 to take them to the correct new URL (in .htaccess) - so the new URL is indexed, and the old one is dropped.

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html
    John Walker
    NetObjects Technical Support