Thread: Uploading site to web help please

Default Uploading site to web help please

Hello all, thanks for your help in advance. Sorry for this lengthy description.

I am having a problem loading my website to the web. Here’s the situation:

I am using NOF 11, Windows 7 and am signed on as administrator. I always publish to a folder on my computer and then upload to the web using CoreFTP Lite (which has never failed me).

I have developed two websites; one for a new client (referred to as # 1) and one to upgrade my businesses current website (referred to as # 2) which was done using MS Publisher.

I created a sub folder in my root directory to upload and test #1. I did that and it works beautifully. When I try to do the same to # 2, I get errors uploading (saying it can’t find the file specified), and when I type in the URL, I get a “site not found” type error.

I look at the code created when I published site # 1 and here is what I see in the folder called “Local Publish”: A folder called “Scripts” and then in no folder my page files (html extension including index.html) and all my graphics files.

I look at the code created when I published site # 2 and here is what I see in the folder called “Local Publish”: A folder called “assets” a folder called “HTML” and a file called “index.html”.

Why are the differences between what I see in site # 1 and # 2? I believe I must have something set up wrong on site # 2.

BTW, I (think) I deleted all the MS Publisher files including “index.htm” before I uploaded site # 2.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me at: dmg@dirmarketing.com. And thanks again!

DmgGuy,

The difference between the the two publishes seems to be that #1 is published flat and #2 is published by assets. I always use "by asset" as this creates all the required files in the correct folders so that I can manually FTP everything under the Local Publish folder. I've never used the previous method so I can't comment but method two should be OK. All you need to do is make sure the live server you are uploading to has the index.html in the root folder and all the folders/files as appear in your Local Publish folder.

If you can open the index.html on your local PC and everything works, you simply upload EVERYTHING from the Local Publish folder to your host server.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Thanks. Not sure how I did that. Can you tell me how to publish locally in asset mode and how I published in flat mode? A little dense here I guess.

Hi,

Click on PUBLISH in the tool bar, select ARRANGE FILES and then select the desired setting (structure, assets, flat)
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

This tutorial will give you details of all 3 publish methods: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=181
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks. So is it the consenses that files shouold be published in "Assets" mode? Any feedback on this would be appreciated because I believe the default is flat.

The Fusion default is By Asset Type.

I almost always use it becasue it keeps thing organized with a minimum of folders.

The "html" that appears in the URL for non-index pages is a total non-issue.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums