Thread: Lost Site - Any ideas

Unhappy Lost Site - Any ideas

Hi

I've nearly completed a new site for my work. It has just over 200 pages and i make sure I regularly save and back up.

Last night i saved twice after publishing all the changes. It had started to crash so I re-optimised.

The problem after this is the site has reverted to a state 2 days ago, every back up, and every recovery

I have lost 2 solid days work! I’ve tried every back-up and every recovery version and each one comes up as the site style has been deleted and most pages from a version 2 days ago.

I'm totally gutted and the only the published version is the up to date one.

Is there any way I can import pages from the published files?

Any help would be much appreciated as right now I've tried all I can think of but still getting nowhere!!!!

Hobee

Hobee,

I feel for you! There's no easy answer but I think you only option is to copy the content/changes from the published version back into your NOD file

The backup system in NOF has limited value IMHO. I prefer to use the TEMPLATE method after EACH and EVERY update to a site. I keep small updates as local templates on my PC but anything major or after a few minor changes I create a new template and upload to my server and even occasionally dump them on CD.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

NOF 11 has the option to import from a website, but I can't get it to work.

Create a new site, select 'File' / import / web site / remote and then enter the URL.
    All I get is 'Cannot connect to www.whatever.co.uk'

It is supposed to download and create it as a child page under the home page. No Go.

Looks like your best move is to FTP the whole site back from your web server.
    At least you will get all the code back then you can recreate the page content from what you downloaded.

EDIT: Oooops.
    I just got curious and clicked that link (just any old garbage I used as an example)
    Lo and Behold ........ it's a real website.

Anyway, it might help you Hobee.
    Go to that site, select the page source and copy it.
    Now create a new site in NOF, delete all the banners/links etc and set masterborder to zeromargins.
    Next, place a text box to cover the pull page, right click in it and select Text Html.
    Now paste in the code you copied from the website and hit Preview.

As you can see, all the html code including links is now in your new site.
    You can use that method to rebuild the site you have lost. It gonna take a while with 200 pages, and you will have to re-insert all your images etc from your assets folder as well.
    But, anything is better than having to start all over again.
    Last edited by Voyager; 10-12-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Unexpected outcome from URL quoted

You will have to redo your 2 days work.

When you get it back together follow the methods outlined in these 2 pages to make safe backups

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

You may want to have a look at this page before you start to see if it is helpful

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4035
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Normally, every night, I take a template backup, however I have been working at home so did not bother taking a copy!

At least I had published to a sub-domain so I can still refer to the published site so I can copy text and see what I had done before so can easily, but time consuming, recreate the pages.

What puzzles me is there is no logic to how far back the nod file has went back after re-optimising the site ..... I could understand if it was the last back up but 2 days ago.

Every file in the backup folder and recovery folder was either old or had lost all the site style and links to file assets so these are no use.

At least I had regular template backups so it's only 2 nights work and not months but is a bit annoying.

I did try and import the site from the sub domain I'm testing the new site on but think i'm going to be more confident re-doing the 2 nights work.

the site can easily be broken into 3 Net objects files so I'm thinking about spending a few hours doing this to make it more manageable and not so frightening if I lose any work again.

Thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated.

Hobee

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You will have to redo your 2 days work.

When you get it back together follow the methods outlined in these 2 pages to make safe backups

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

You may want to have a look at this page before you start to see if it is helpful

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4035
    Thanks for the advice, as I said earlier I normall backup this way, except re-optimise!

As the site had crashed a few time i decided to re-optimise before finishing for the night. This is what caused the probelm.

From now on I will export a template every night regardless but will only try re-optimising after ensuring I have a back up template which hasn't been corrupted.

Thanks again,

Hobee

Quote Originally Posted by hobee View Post
    Thanks for the advice, as I said earlier I normall backup this way, except re-optimise!

As the site had crashed a few time i decided to re-optimise before finishing for the night. This is what caused the probelm.

From now on I will export a template every night regardless but will only try re-optimising after ensuring I have a back up template which hasn't been corrupted.

Thanks again,

Hobee
    Did you check all of the backup files in the backup file? The re-optimize function creates a backup before it runs. Look un the folder called Recovery for the file with the latest date. You will need to MOVE that file into your user sites folder before you open it to avoid broken graphics and other objects (rename it before moving so you do not overwrite your existing project file)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Did you check all of the backup files in the backup file? The re-optimize function creates a backup before it runs. Look un the folder called Recovery for the file with the latest date. You will need to MOVE that file into your user sites folder before you open it to avoid broken graphics and other objects (rename it before moving so you do not overwrite your existing project file)
    Didn't realise to copy the files from the recovery file, I have now done this.

Whilst I haven't found the most up to date file I have found one which is a newer version than the file I thought I was going to have to work from after going through all the files.

Thank you very much as this has saved probably a few hours re-work! When I was opening the recovery files this morning as I couldn't see any of the graphics I wasn't paying much attention to the file.

Hobee