Thread: Well, heck I'll go first then...

Default Well, heck I'll go first then...

We're suppose to show off our sites here. I would like some feedback on mine. It sure can be a struggle to keep things functioning sometimes. I fell like I belong to the NOF family, even though I could never get in them damn newsgroups, I am so glad there is a forum now! WOO HOO! I will be stayin for sure. Been with NOF since 7, hope they keep going.

www.nicecarvings.com

Jason

Hello Jason,

I have seen your website already the other day and looked at it quite a long time, because it is very particular. You also posted a link to your blog, which I found was better organised.

Frankly, you've got so much flash and Java on it, that it tends to open too slowly in the browser. Second time around is better. I like quiet websites, this one is overloaded.

Flash navigation bars have a problem: They are not recognised by search engines. However, those links within your website are very important for search engines to quickly recognise the contents and structures of a website. I would recommend you use normal grafical nav bars.

Apart from the banner, which could be placed directly on the background, the rest of the layout should be better organised. I don't usually like the use of many objects and text fields on a structured background.

The blog was better the other day before you inserted the nav bar. Now the Banner has shiftet to the right and the nav bar is somewhere to the right.

Pics size is good.

You are using page titles, however they are not relevant to your actual title, which should be defined with an H1 Tag.

You are using keywords in your metas, however, these keywords are not in use on your pages.

The site-description (metas) is also only approx 40% relevant.

Make sure each page has an individual title, an individual description (metas) and that search engines will find those titles and description in the content of your page.

Forget keywords in the metas, make sure that they are appropriately weighted in the content of your pages.

Since we are talking of a business website I think you should be looking into all these aspects, as they are relevant for your SEO and for the reputation of your website.

I hope I did not depress you with this long post (much too long, I know...) and wish you a good evening

Best regards
    Barbara

Jason,

Brave man...well done for putting yourself out there!

OK, well I can't disagree with a word of Barbara's critique. Design is often a very personal thing and ... err, personally, I find the site very, very busy. In fact I prefer the look and feel of the blog site much more than the actual site. Far less busy, easier to understand and feels more comfortable. I'd be inclined to re-model the site to look more like the blog as the main site feels like you have placed 6 or 7 chunks of different things on the page as they came along. And finally, the home page has hardly any textual content, which is bad for search engines. You really should describe fully what the site is and does and don't stop until you reach at least 200 words, IMHO.

Melissa is a very talented artist and deserves her 'art' to be shown off.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

well I can't disagree with a word of Barbara's critique
    I always knew you're a good guy, Paul

Melissa is a very talented artist and deserves her 'art' to be shown off
    ... and I couldn't agree more!

Awww shucks
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Thank you both! I too agree with pretty much everything Barbara pointed out. I have design issues that run pretty deep, and thats just for starters. What I need is a clean theme that would work for our business, and go with it. I would be up for a complete renovation with a plan like that. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced theme that you think would fit, please let me know.

The seo issues, etc., I could begin to work on those issues at the same time. Thank you all again. We're about to be published in a couple huge magazines, I better prepare for some new traffic!

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced theme that you think would fit, please let me know.
    I can't help you commercially at this stage... But perhaps some one else can. I think it would be a good idea to let someone develop your template :-)

An idea for your consideration, from one woodworker to another:

You're obfuscating your carving product with graphic site design elements which emulate carving.

My suggestion is to remove and/or replace those to let the actual carving work stand out.

If the site is perceived as elegant, so will the carving.
    Only the Blue Roads

Looks OK to me.... A few suggetions....

Move the slide show to your gallery page.

Drop the Java scrolling ticker tape (opening page)

Drop the top redundant navigation, you only need 1 set of navigation on a page unless you wish to use a secondary TEXT only navigation at the bottom

Add some relevant text about the business on the front page.

Some of the animated gifs on interior pages are a little 80's (out of date and not considered professional by many people). They may be fun but if you can do without them on a business site I would suggest that you do with out them

the overall look / feel is very in keeping with what the site is about.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Wow! Amazing advice here!

So, in order to get help from some of the best in this buz, all I have to do is ASK? .....SWEET!
    Oops, I better be careful some of you will probably want to put out the hat! (and I wouldn't blame you, this could be like NOF special olympics)

Alright-y then, together we can do this! I will try and get the ball rolling as soon as possible. I want to make an attempt to fix on each and every issue suggested in this thread. I do appreciate them all very much, as well as the compliments!

I will check back in with a progress report when something happens. :cheers to ya all: