Thread: Retrieving Websites

Default Retrieving Websites

Ok guys I really need help with this one.

I am at a point where I may need to get a template so to speak from an exsisiting website. Now I have tried this in the past but I have had absolutely no luck.
    I can not remember everything off of the top of my head I am suppose to do to set it up, but I believe I did everything I was suppose to then. I entered the address of where my website was sitting, tried it both with the Http:// and without. Set the amount of pages and so on. I hit OK or whatever you click on to get it started, it moves for a moment like it is going to go and then stops and says something to the effect that it can not retrieve it. I might get just the home page with very little or noting on it and that is it.

These are websites that I have done with fusion and I guess have control over as they are going up on web hosting space that I have purchased through godaddy. So what is the issue and or what am I doing wrong?

I suppose your going to say because I do not have control over the servers and they are actually godaddy's that I am up the river without a paddle. I sure hope that is not the case.
    If the servers are not the issue I hope someone can explain in detail what I am doing wrong and what I have to enter to make it all work. If you need anymore answers I will try and get them to you the best I can.

Also if this works can I download the site to say a thumbdrive and then transport it to a computer that has fusion 11 or does it have to be done with the computer that has fusion 11 on it? Thanks for all of your help.

I don't like to be the deliverer of bad news, but it doesn't look very good in your case.

It's just a day ago, somebody posted with the same problem.
    Have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...rom-server-web

The only decent backup for your project is to create a template and save this on an external medium, like CD, USB stick or even on the server.
    I cannot understand why you didn't create templates after you had the same experience of lost data already before.
    Last edited by mia; 11-06-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

I just did an experiment along these lines a couple of days ago. The results were less than encouraging.

I used a program called HTTrack, which will download an entire web site to your hard drive. You can surf the entire site offline, and all of the associated images and files will exist on your hard drive.

This was a site that had a very basic layout, was pure HTML -- no PHP scripts or anything fancy. I used the NOF Import Site feature and pointed to the files on my hard drive. In short, the results were a disaster.

My conclusion is, the only two options for maintaining or updating a site for which you have no NOF NOD file are:

1. Capture the site files as described above, and edit/update using an HTML editing program like GoLive, Dreamweaver, or Kompozer (Free), or
    2. Using the site as a guide, re-create the site in NOF, creating a SiteStyle and project NOD file for the site.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Twayne

Default Re: Retrieving Websites

In news:RayC.4k0amz@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    RayC <RayC.4k0amz@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > I just did an experiment along these lines a couple of days
    > ago. The results were less than encouraging.
    >
    > I used a program called HTTrack, which will download an
    > entire web site to your hard drive. You can surf the entire
    > site offline, and all of the associated images and files
    > will exist on your hard drive.
    >
    > This was a site that had a very basic layout, was pure HTML
    > -- no PHP scripts or anything fancy. I used the NOF Import
    > Site feature and pointed to the files on my hard drive. In
    > short, the results were a disaster.
    >
    > My conclusion is, the only two options for maintaining or
    > updating a site for which you have no NOF NOD file are:
    >
    > 1. Capture the site files as described above, and
    > edit/update using an HTML editing program like GoLive,
    > Dreamweaver, or Kompozer (Free), or
    > 2. Using the site as a guide, re-create the site in NOF,
    > creating a SiteStyle and project NOD file for the site.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ray Cambpell
    > Sounds In Sync
    > 'Unlimited Web Hosting $5.95/month'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/hosting595)

First I made a .zip template backup of the most current files I did have.
    I then opened that site, just to use as a reference.
    Then I opened a second instance of NOF and left it there for the time
    being.

I've had pretty good luck twice with using FileZilla to download the entire
    web site to my hard drive, being sure of keeping the structure together.
    Then usng
    File; New Site; Using Existing Web Site,
    and pointing it to the downloaded web site's index.html or whatever name
    you had to use for the server you're on. NOF did a pretty good job of
    "importing" & organizing the pages.
    If the site includes .asp or .php, etc., then it's also handy to have a
    local Apache server on your machine for full testing though they worked
    prefectly in my cases.

IIRC I had Master Border problems with both sites but they were annoyances
    rather than problems to recreate. A small number of assets got missed, but
    the open older site made it easy to find those and replace them. No URL
    problems except any in the Master Border. No javascript problems.
    One Gallery got messed up; used the old site to copy into the new site,
    then redid the updates needed.
    Saved my .php files back to where I wanted them.
    Published locally; seemed OK.
    Published remotely; worked fine. No problems afterwards that I could
    attribute to the rebuild.

I suppose that looks like a lot of words and actions, but it isn't, really.
    Working from memory here but I'm fairly confident I didn't leave anything
    out. Would appreciate hearing the results if you try this.

HTH,

Twayne`

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    I don't like to be the deliverer of bad news, but it doesn't look very good in your case.

It's just a day ago, somebody posted with the same problem.
    Have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...rom-server-web

The only decent backup for your project is to create a template and save this on an external medium, like CD, USB stick or even on the server.
    I cannot understand why you didn't create templates after you had the same experience of lost data already before.
    Well before it was not necessary I was just toying with it to see if it would work. According to NOF that is one way to retrieve a website, and get a template. You would think if you enter the correct info for the beginning page and do all of the rest it should work.

Anyway this time I thought my laptop was going flaky and I would not be able to get inside the program and make a backup template, now it seems like it may just be my power cord of which I need to get another one. If that is all it is, then once back on I will for sure make backup templates.
    Last edited by Larry5000; 11-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry5000 View Post
    Ok guys I really need help with this one.

I am at a point where I may need to get a template so to speak from an exsisiting website. Now I have tried this in the past but I have had absolutely no luck.
    I can not remember everything off of the top of my head I am suppose to do to set it up, but I believe I did everything I was suppose to then. I entered the address of where my website was sitting, tried it both with the Http:// and without. Set the amount of pages and so on. I hit OK or whatever you click on YO WhatsApp to get it started, it moves for a moment like it is going to go and then stops and says something to the effect that it can not retrieve it. I might get just the home page with very little or noting on it and that is it.

These are websites that I have done with fusion and I guess have control over as they are going up on web hosting space that I have purchased through godaddy. So what is the issue and or what am I doing wrong?

I suppose your going to say because I do not have control over the servers and they are actually godaddy's that I am up the river without a paddle. I sure hope that is not the case.
    If the servers are not the issue I hope someone can explain in detail what I am doing wrong and what I have to enter to make it all work. If you need anymore answers I will try and get them to you the best I can.

Also if this works can I download the site to say a thumbdrive and then transport it to a computer that has fusion 11 or does it have to be done with the computer that has fusion 11 on it? Thanks for all of your help.
    wayback-machine is a great tool to add to the toolbox...I especially enjoy using it to educate people about how politicians love to flip-flop on issues...hypocrites I tell you, hypocrites..

I just did an experiment along these lines a couple of days ago. The results were less than encouraging.