Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Individual button sets for Navigation

Default Using Individual button sets for Navigation

Hi guys,

I've got a problem that I need a bit of help on. I create individual icons for each button and use accordingly - eg, a house graphic for "home", musical notes for Audio. etc, etc - all in the same style. Using individual button sets for each navigation button seems the way it should be done... eg, Regular, Regular Rollover, Highlighted, & Highlighted Rollover. But is this possible?

I look forward to any help or pointers, I've searched the forum to no avail.
    Thankyou for any info,
    Shanners.

Quote Originally Posted by shanners View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got a problem that I need a bit of help on. I create individual icons for each button and use accordingly - eg, a house graphic for "home", musical notes for Audio. etc, etc - all in the same style. Using individual button sets for each navigation button seems the way it should be done... eg, Regular, Regular Rollover, Highlighted, & Highlighted Rollover. But is this possible?

I look forward to any help or pointers, I've searched the forum to no avail.
    Thankyou for any info,
    Shanners.
    What you are talking about is NOT typical use of the nav bar component but it CAN be done.

i would suggest that you get all pages completed before you start changing images (to avoid any possible conflicts on pages created after the images were swapped out).

Go to any page (click the page view icon)
    Double click on the graphic you wish to change
    From the nav button properties palette use the browse to select a new primary and rollover graphic

You will need to do it on each button instance to get different custom graphics on each button and rollover...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	changeIndividual&#73.gif 
Views:	200 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	583

Post a URL when you get it done as I would like to see what it looks like
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thumbs up

The original line was supposed to read, "I want to create...".

I have been able to do this using the browse and add primary and rollover, but my idea was to have a dull grey line image for the unused icons, bright White outline for the rollover, and coloured in image for the highlighted button (hope this makes sense?). This means I would need to use 3 images really - this is why I was thinking of creating a button set for each icon, that way I can set up the 3 images per navi button icon.

The pages are set up with buttons already, which are 100x100 pixel images. So I can import the new icon images with some ease as they are the same size.

Do you think what I want (the 3 image button set) is possible, or do I have to stick to 2 buttons?

Thank you very much for your response so far.

Regards, Shanners.

Using 3 different graphics on each button is beyond what the Fusion component can do. If you can live with 2 (link and rollover) you can use the nav bar component, otherwise you will need to go to a 3rd party menu creation software like Likno.

you can download a 30 day trial of Likno AWM and play around with it to see if it does what you are looking for. I have a very basic 4 page tutorial on how it works with Fusion if you want to go over that after downloading your trial version. http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4030

I am migrating the gotFusion domain to another server today so you may find that the tutorial may be unavailable while I am "fiddling" with things
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

I've had a look at Linkno, and although perfect, is maybe a little complicated for me at the fledgling stage I'm at with web page creation...

I have settled for the two-image nav button, but what I am noticing is that when i click on "use page name in button" - it doesn't show up? Is this happening for any reason, or am i misunderstanding the option a little. What I was hoping for is an icon, with the page name contained within - is this not what it means, orhave I got this set up wrong to show this?

Quote Originally Posted by shanners View Post
    I've had a look at Linkno, and although perfect, is maybe a little complicated for me at the fledgling stage I'm at with web page creation...

I have settled for the two-image nav button, but what I am noticing is that when i click on "use page name in button" - it doesn't show up? Is this happening for any reason, or am i misunderstanding the option a little. What I was hoping for is an icon, with the page name contained within - is this not what it means, orhave I got this set up wrong to show this?
    You can also set page names in site view. See this tutorial for an explanation of the site view properties: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=242

Mike, Im not sure on the limit of three different buttons, as i use three on one of my sites, http://www.tulakhounds.co.uk/index.html where you have the stationary button, the mouse over and the selected, I have a blue button with a brown button on mouse over and a highlighted pink glow for the selected?

Mike C

I think Mike is referring to the "custom" nav button replacement that you can do in the Properties Box rather than the buttons defined in the Style Sheet.

In the Style Sheet you can have 4 different buttons variations defined for your navigation, but these will be the same for every nav button.

You can also select an individual button and replace the graphics used for that one button via the Properties Panel. But there are only two options for replacement: Regular and Rollover.

I believe your site is using the Style Sheet buttons, and there are actually FOUR styles if you count the "regular rollover" that faces left, and the "selected rollover" which faces right.

If you want to see an example of both, have a look at this site that I did. The horizontal nav bar across the top uses the Style Sheet buttons with 4 states. The vertical nav bar on the left uses "custom" buttons for each to allow for unique buttons for each link. There are only two states: regular and rollover.

Hope that clarifies a bit.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

The OP wanted a different graphic on each button and to have rollover and visited states for each different graphic button.

AWM should be able to do this but the Fusion component does not go that far in flexibility. Using a different graphic for each button limits to link and rollover only.

It might be possible to set up the component to have a shared active graphic and use 2 different for main and rollover. I just have not played with the component to that extent of customization.

If someone comes up with a way to use the component using 3 separate graphics on each button state I would like to see an example. Ya can't be too old to learn something new.

Thanks Ray this makes it clearer for me now, love the graphics on your site, realy nice

mike C