Thread: "Base directory public_html does not exist would you like to create it?"

Default "Base directory public_html does not exist would you like to create it?"

When I try to publish my updated site I get message

"Base directory public_html does not exist would you like to create it?"

If I say no then publishing just stops, If I say yes it creates public_html_ in my root directory then stops.

The only change since my previous successful publish is that I am now using windows 7.

I have read the compatability sticky and I am running as Admin.

Grateful for any suggestions thanks Pye

Sounds like you have your publish profile incorrect.

Try removing the directory from your publish profile and see if that works for you. Your web host should have some tutorials that you can take a look at. Who is your web host?

A URL of your site would be helpful also.......
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Tried removing directory just says base directory does not exist now.
    I am with 000webhost but I can't find much there, tried their forum ,no joy.
    URL is [URL="http://campfires.co.cc/"[/URL] I have unfortunately deleted my site prior to coming back here as I found multiple copies of all images so decided on a clean install but the problem persists. However there remains a mystery directory called F: in my public_html (empty) which I cannot delete. This directory is now all that is visble at URL.

I suspect Win 7 compatability still

Edit I have removed mystery directory by setting my account to its virgin state but have still got original problem of Nof not recognising public_html.
    Last edited by pyewhacker; 11-27-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks for trying gotFusion. I worked around by using a FTP prog to upload site from local publish version. So my website is fine now.

Initial problem is somthing I'll continue to try and solve

It's not always obvious where to start when specifying the directory to publish. For my usual web host, HostPapa, my publish directory is /www/ which is actually a "shortcut" (or "virtual directory" or whatever you wanna call it), that points to /public_html/.

I made a mistake once, and published a site to the actual ROOT -- what a mess.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

You are right, they don't have much in the way of helpful info.

Try substituting / or /home for /public_html (you are using a hash aren't you)?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

I have just gone to the expense of buying NOF 12, in the hopes it might work better.
    I just keep getting the message cannot set up base directory when I try to publish my site.
    Does anyone know how to fix this please. Frustrated.

My NOF 12 when I try to publish it locally to my desktop says "invalid directory" and will not publish locally. I cannot publish my site, it just keeps saying, cannot find base directory. Even though the folder is in there, in htdocs. This program is a waste of money, and the later editions are worse than the earlier ones, which actually worked. rturner info@999alternatives.com

Quote Originally Posted by rturner View Post
    I have just gone to the expense of buying NOF 12, in the hopes it might work better.
    I just keep getting the message cannot set up base directory when I try to publish my site.
    Does anyone know how to fix this please. Frustrated.
    You are just trying to put your files in the wrong location.

Contact your web host about where to upload your files.

Quote Originally Posted by rturner View Post
    My NOF 12 when I try to publish it locally to my desktop says "invalid directory" and will not publish locally. I cannot publish my site, it just keeps saying, cannot find base directory. Even though the folder is in there, in htdocs. This program is a waste of money, and the later editions are worse than the earlier ones, which actually worked. rturner info@999alternatives.com
    If you are running apache on your local machine you still have to place your files in the proper location.

The program is not putting the files in the wrong place. YOU have told it to place them in the wrong location. Fusion will try to do what you tell it to do, even if it is not the right thing to do. It assumes you know what you are doing.

If you want to use the forum for help you are going to have to present some screenshots of what you have done (your rermote publish profile minus your username/password and your hosting FTP account minus your username/password). Your web host would be a better contact for where to upload your files.