Thread: i have lots of questions but these forums are a minefield

Default i have lots of questions but these forums are a minefield

Hi. I am a long time user of NOF but cannot find anyone to answer some simple questions?? And I do mean simple !!
    Way back when, in 2008 to 2010, I used NOF to create a number of websites.
    my NOF 11 no longer works, but I do have all the NOD files etc.

firstly does anyone still have emails from 2008 ?? I know I don't, I only keep the last 2 years so 2011 is also out of the question. So why do I see so many posts saying "get your serial number from your email", and it seems no alternative is on offer. truly remarkable !!

secondly, I thought it was the responsibility of the product developer to keep track of who has bought their software, so they can track you for upgrades etc. !! so why would we even need a email from the last decade??

I guess my last question is also simple. Why is there no mention on the website of the difference between the two packages on offer ? I may not need other than the free version for all I know ?? Does it use nod files from way back then ???

I hope someone can give some simple answers please, as trolling through so many posts here is NOT Support.

Thank you and I hope my frustration has not made me seem less than amicable.

firstly does anyone still have emails from 2008 ??
    Yes. I have important emails archived from 1996 and I copy and paste ALL my online purchase licences in a redundant text file. I have licences for applications that haven't existed for 10 years or more. Why? Because I also keep my downloaded applications in a redundant directory so I always have an installer and licence number in case I want to install that application again for some reason. e.g. I run XP in a virtual machine so that I can run some 8-bit applications from the mid-90s that have never been ported to 16-bit, let alone 64-bit.

secondly, I thought it was the responsibility of the product developer to keep track of who has bought their software
    HA! If you want to hand over responsibility for your purchases that's up to you. I prefer to make sure I keep the stuff I pay for.

Why is there no mention on the website of the difference between the two packages on offer ?
    Can't say as I'm not responsible for the Netobjects web site. If you mean, what is the difference between Essentials and NoF2015 I've never used Essentials but I'd suspect quite a lot as you never, ever get the full box and dice in a free program. A developer only offers a cut-down free program to entice you to upgrade to the full version. Many companies do this. I guess it depends on what you want the application for. Best thing is to download the free version and see if it does what you want. Once you hit a wall and it no longer does that, it's time to pony up for the real deal.

Oh and by the way, 2008-2010 is not Way Back When. 1996, when Netobjects first launched, is Way Back When.

Lastly, these forums are not a minefield. They are maintained by a small, and ever diminishing, group of enthusiasts who give of their time and expertise to help people like you. Netobjects Support doesn't exist any more, and hasn't for quite some time.

Everyone is responsible for his own happiness.

Please forgive, but an email is your purchase confirmation, which also contains the serial number of the purchased license.
    If you want to use or install a program even after ten or even more years, you need to back up this number. Whether as an email or as a text is up to you.

Of course, you also have to back up the setup file and available service packs.

If you upgrade the software to a newer version, you will need a NOF template of the previous version and not a nod file.

The free NOF version of essentials 2014 can not open templates from previous versions. You must create a new website here.