Thread: hotspot mouseover

Default hotspot mouseover

Hi folks, a complete newbie to web building here, so apologies for being dim..

I am looking to create a highlight when the mouse is rolled over a hotspot which links to another page.
    I have created the hotspot and link, I just need it to highlight if this is possible.

Any suggestions (clean ones only) would be very welcome especially if they are in layman's terms.

Many many thanks in advance to all you lovely intelligent peeps out there, i wish i had your knowledge, but everyone needs to start somewhere, no?

I don't follow your question. Using the hotspot tool and creating a link is automatic. Are you talking about a rollover? Remote targeted grapic? This would not be done using a hotspot but using the rollover tool or a 3rd party script. If you want to use a rollover with a hotspot there is not a simple (i.e. click here) method within the product. You "might" be able to use a onMouseOver action on the hotspot.

A little more info from you would be helpful to point you in the right direction (such as a link to an example page you wish to duplicate)
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Hi, and thanks for answering, much appreciated.

Here is the link to my page www.limosulike.co.uk you will see at the top the words "about us" "services" etc. These are the hotspot links to the various sections. What I am interested in is highlighting each word as the mouse is pointed at them, to show that the word is actually "clickable". Hope this makes sense, and I hope it's possible.

Many thanks for any advice.

The mouse pointer turns to a link hand when moved over the "words".

What else were you looking to achieve?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Since you are using Hot Spots, and the graphic is a single image, I don't think there is an easy way to have any sort of highlight effect on just part of it. It would have to be chopped into pieces, then a "highlight" version of each piece created, then some sort of rollover effect incorporated.

A typical technique for this is to take a small vertical slice of the blue graphic bar and use that as a background image, then create buttons that seemlessly blend in with the background based on the same graphic. That way you can use the Navigation bar component and have the buttons highlight on hover and click, and can also have the text change, if you like.

• Keep the parts at each end where the bar "bends" as a separate graphic.
    • Take a small vertical slice of the long middle part of the graphic and save that as your background image.
    • Use a larger piece to create a button for each menu item, and import that into your style sheet. Set the various text parameters on your style sheet including font, size and colour for each state (normal, selected, rollover, selected+rollover).
      (Note: You may need to incorporate part of the darker blue background into the above graphic elements to keep them all the same height.)
    • Create a one-row, three-column table. Put the "bendy bits" of the graphic in the left and right cell. Assign the background image as the background of the middle cell of the table.
    • In the middle cell, using the nav-bar tool and insert your navigation bar with your four buttons.

It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I hope you get the idea.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Best way to do what you want I think, is to create Menu items using the STYLE menu and then the curved parts of the ribbon either side of the menu will meet them. In STYLE, you need to create a menu "bar" in the blue you've used to the width necessary so that 4 of them equal the width between the curved part of your ribbon (i.e. the width of the four items as they are already.)

You'll see under Navigation that you can edit the bars for Regular, Regular Rollover, Highlighted and Highlighted Rollover and then on the right in the Button Properties box, you can change the colour of the text as you rollover. If you want the "bar" to change colour, simply save the blue bar as you have it now and darken or lighten it and then use that as your Regular Rollover graphic. Hope that makes sense.

You then add a Button Navigation Bar and in Navigation Bar Properties (on the right), you choose just the four menu items you want from all your pages.