Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NOF12 Forum / nntp

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    There is only 1 nntp group for each product version.

The install and suggestions web forums get moved up as new versions are introduced. If you remember... the suggestions and install issues forums used to be Fusion 11 suggestions and Fusion 11 install. Now there is only 1 web forum for Fusion 11 not 3 as there was back in December when Fusion 11 was the latest version.
    Thanks for that...
    No - I didn't remember that (don't think I even knew that <g>)

Seems kind of a strange way to do things - if I'm understanding you correctly then only one of the three forums is mirrored onto News...

.....so News access is only for the forum where you can " ask questions about how to do things or how to fix problems in NetObjects Fusion 12"

- and not for the other two forums where you can "Post your question about installing or upgrading to NetObjects Fusion 12. "

or " post suggestions related to NetObjects Fusion software and features. Suggestions made here can help us create updates for existing versions of NetObjects Fusion, as well as help guide new features of future releases."

Is that right ?

Adrian

If you choose to use an nntp interface to the web forums you have access to the public online web forum through nntp. As an nntp user you will not have access to all of the options that are available to people who use the actual web forum but you will have basic access to the web forum

What questions you ask is up to you.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

If you choose to use an nntp interface to the web forums you have access to the public online web forum through nntp. As an nntp user you will not have access to all of the options that are available to people who use the actual web forum but you will have basic access to the web forum

What questions you ask is up to you.
    HI Mike
    Thanks for the reply.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying - but it seems there are three forums available via the web interface, and only the one mirrored on NNTP ?

The quotes about the appropriate subject matter for each forum are from the page at

http://forums.netobjects.com/forumdi...ects-Fusion-12

If only the first of these forums is available via NNTP (as seems to be the case) - then what's the point of that - surely it'll either lead to people on NNTP asking questions that have already been answered on the two 'web-only' fora, or lead to the "Q's, probs & Troubleshooting" getting cluttered with content that 'should' be in the other two forums .....

Not trying to be contentious, but I must be missing something here....??

Adrian

I am surprised that NetO still has a news server much less interfaces it to the web forums. Most basic users do not know what a news reader is, where to find one (they have not come with any windows OS since XP), how to install a news reader, how to locate news servers, or how to subscribe to news groups. Just about everyone understands a web browser.

Don't know if you were on nntp in the way back years of the product. There used to be separate newsgroups on each product release for general, web-design, components, actions, dynamic sites, 2 groups for nPower, new-sites, CDK, (I can't even remember them all now).

At one time I was running over 30 different newsgroups on the gotFusion news server, now I have zero. Things change.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

HI Mike

All understood about how times change.
    Maybe Netobjects should jump one way or the other -
    if they decide to have no NNTP mirror then that's fine, they'll upset some users who would prefer to read the postings via a newsreader, but at least Netobjects will have a consistent policy.

If they decide that they're going to mirror _any_ of the NOF12 forums on Newsgroups then they should go the extra mile and mirror all three of them - just mirroring one-of-three is silly!

Makes about as much sense as their policy of overcharging users who buy the program in Euro!
    - I'm still waiting for a reply from a Netobjects 'superior' on that one (as promised by NOF Support a while back) - especially as the other supplier of NOF12 ( www.downloadbuyer.com )
    seems able to do the mathematics in a much more sensible way, and undercut Netobjects pricing.....

Still - we're just the users - what do we know ? <g>
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian5750 View Post
    - I'm still waiting for a reply from a Netobjects 'superior' on that one (as promised by NOF Support a while back) - especially as the other supplier of NOF12 ( www.downloadbuyer.com )
    seems able to do the mathematics in a much more sensible way, and undercut Netobjects pricing.....

Adrian
    With NetO allowing users of Essentials upgrade pricing I am surprised that ebay seller (downloadbuyer) is able to sell any full retail versions for $70 more than any user can purchase an upgrade for just by downloading and installing Essentials.

Product pricing has always baffled me (not with just NetO but with everything). If you look hard enough you can always find a deal somewhere on something. Not to run too far off topic but this is a "deal" that will always stick in my mind. We had friends visiting us up at our cabin in New Hampshire one summer and they went off to the state run liquor store to see what they could find for that evenings "fun". They returned with a 1.75 liter bottle of rum. They showed us the 2 in-store discount coupons for the rum along with a mail in rebate. All totaled after all the discounts and rebates, they were paid $2.oo to purchase that big bottle and get skunked (true story)

With NetO allowing users of Essentials upgrade pricing I am surprised that ebay seller (downloadbuyer) is able to sell any full retail versions for $70 more than any user can purchase an upgrade for just by downloading and installing Essentials.
    Relies on ignorance, I guess <g>

Product pricing has always baffled me (not with just NetO but with everything). If you look hard enough you can always find a deal somewhere on something. Not to run too far off topic but this is a "deal" that will always stick in my mind. We had friends visiting us up at our cabin in New Hampshire one summer and they went off to the state run liquor store to see what they could find for that evenings "fun". They returned with a 1.75 liter bottle of rum. They showed us the 2 in-store discount coupons for the rum along with a mail in rebate. All totaled after all the discounts and rebates, they were paid $2.oo to purchase that big bottle and get skunked (true story)
    Same as the pilot in 'catch22' who was able to make a profitable business by selling eggs at less than he bought them for..... <g>
    With a 'mail in' voucher it's often a loss-leader in order to get hold of your contact details - information is valuable nowadays..

Adrian