Thread: Site background image not working

Default Site background image not working

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Using NOF 7. Have a site that's been online for years w/ the same site style background image. All of a sudden it's not showing up online and every page on my site has a white background, not the image background it's supposed to have. Site URL is santafetradingpost.com. View Page Source shows that the background.gif image is there, so why are my page backgrounds white??? And what can I do to fix this??? I've tried everything I can think of and so far nothing works. I'm about to tear my hair! Thanks in advance for your help.

Go to page view for your home page.
    From the menu bar select Text >Edit Text Styles
    On the Text Styles properties palette scroll down to BODY and click it (it will be the last one)
    Click the edit button
    On the Text Format properties palette select the Background tab
    Make sure that the Repeat option is set to Both
    Click OK then Close

Clean up your work folders as outlined in this tutorial (http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029) and do a full local site generation to test for the repeat background.

If it shows as you expect then do a full remote publish to get everything to your domain
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Looks like she doesn't have CSS turned on at all.

HTML formatting is deprecated along with the background tag.

Turning on CSS would be the first step in Site settings.

Then the background image could be set in the Site Style.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Can't believe you're actually answering posts on New Year's Day! Followed your instructions exactly, but still no joy. Even on the locally generated site, page backgrounds are still white, so obviously I did NOT do an ftp upload to the server. What's most maddening is that online, around each rotating picture in the right master border, you can see an "extra" yellowish pebbly border that is, in fact, the background.gif image. I'm at a total loss as to why it appears there but nowhere else on the page(s).

Do you have css enabled as Chuck pointed out?

Se this tutorial page for details: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutsAS/px-css1.cfm

You will need to clean your files and folders and generate the whole site locally again to test
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

You're right, Chuck. I DON'T have CSS turned on. That's because when I first created this site 10 years ago, CSS wasn't universally supported across browsers. Even the NOF 7 documententation warned about this. So I never turned CSS on for any of the sites I've created and regularly update. Everything has been fine with all of them until my background image problem w/ this particular site today. The background image is, and always has been, set in the Site Style. Are you saying I should now switch from HTML to CSS for all my sites?

OK, I turned on CSS, cleaned the files & folders, & generated the whole site locally again. Pages are still white. <sigh>

Did you go to your Site Style in Style View and add your background?
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Default Problem solved

My background is back and you'll never believe what the problem was. I had added a new Meta Tag this morning before republishing and neglected to finish it w/ the closing quotes. Don't know what on earth this would have to do w/ a background image getting messed up, but once I put in the closing quotes, everything is now fine and my pages look like they always have. Go figure. Thank you both for your time and help, especially on a holiday. I really appreciate it.