Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Publishing and Arranging Files by Site Structure

Default Publishing and Arranging Files by Site Structure

I am having a major problem. Godaddy, my hosting service, notified me that I have too many files in my assets and html directory. I have been publishing my site arranging the files by asset type. So I changed it to by site structure so that the files would be broken up. But when I publish now, only the html files that are generated are put into separate subdirectories. All the assests, ie jpg files, etc are put into the root directory, giving me over 6000 files in the root

What am I doing wrong? Please help ASAP as godaddy is going to delete my site

Thanks

Paul

http://www.EarthAngelsToys.com

That is the way publish by asset type works. Only the html documents go into the separate folders. All banners and autogenerated go into the domain root folder.

Are you on a free hosting account? I've never heard of a host throttling the number of files/folders. Bandwidth and storage capacity maybe but what you put on your hosting partition should be your business not theirs (as long as you are not breaking the law or something).
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

No, it's not a free hosting account (I did not think godaddy offered anything free )

here is the message I got from godaddy:

"In addition, this hosting account currently has an improper directory structure. More specifically, the following directories have greater than 1,024 files:

6491 - /assets/images/db_images
    3096 - /html

The amount of files in this directory is causing an issue with backing up your account, as well as maintenance operations on the shared server. Each directory should have a maximum of 1,024 files. Any more than this can cause file system latency and slowness when accessing FTP and hosting from the Web."

We respectfully request that by 1/6/2011 you reduce your directories to have no more than 1024 files.

If this is not completed by then, we will have to bring the directories into compliance on your behalf. Additionally, we ask that any scripts that automatically create these files be optimized to not create more than this amount. Please note, further excessive directory structures could be subject to an account suspension."

Now what the heck do I do? They are going to delete my site and I can't your NetObjects to build it !!!! This sucks!!!!!

Perhaps you have a bunch of old image files from products no longer available.

Your site doesn't look like it has 6,000 files worth of products on it.

And I agree... I've never heard of a host limiting the number of files. At least not anywhere near the number you have even if it's 6,000.

On a Unix/Linux server, it is possible to run out of something called inodes before you run out of space, if you have a zillion files (give or take).

But even then, it's the OS that limits you from adding more files, not the hosting company.

Sounds strange to me.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Clean up your local work files/folders (see this URL for details): http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029

Do a full local publish (generate all pages).

Take a look and see how many files you end up with.

If it is less than what they are allowing you, then delete everything on your hosting account and do a full remote publish (generate all pages to the web server).

As Chuck said, you may have a lot of orphan files that can be deleted off your hosting account.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

No orphan files guys. I often republish the whole site. And 2 days ago I finally upgrade to NOF 11 hoping that might fix things

I created a template from nof 10 and did not include orphan files. I imported that into 11 and rebuilt the whole site. Still way too many files per directory

Looks like i am pretty much screwed

Well, if you really have to, you can go to Publish View, and there you can create additional folders by right-clicking in the window. (See attached.)

You could create various folders to put your product images in, perhaps sorting them into categories. Once you've created the folders, find the JPG assets in Publish View, and simply drag them into the various folders you've created. When you republish, all associated links to the files will be updated by NOF. You could use the 300-odd

A bit of a drag with, what was it, 6,000 files? But would get you out of this jam until you find better hosting. (See below )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PublishWindow..jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	686  
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

When you publish by asset type, the only thing in the html folder is all of your pages axcept for the index (home) page.

How many pages are in your site?

I can see where using stacked pages can add up, but over 3,000?

Ultimately, the solution could be switching to a dynamic site with a database for your products.

You could do a site like yours with a handful of html files if you went "dynamic".
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

The jpg assets don't seem to appear in the published view? What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Well, if you really have to, you can go to Publish View, and there you can create additional folders by right-clicking in the window. (See attached.)

You could create various folders to put your product images in, perhaps sorting them into categories. Once you've created the folders, find the JPG assets in Publish View, and simply drag them into the various folders you've created. When you republish, all associated links to the files will be updated by NOF. You could use the 300-odd

A bit of a drag with, what was it, 6,000 files? But would get you out of this jam until you find better hosting. (See below )

you can see the site for yourself http://www.EarthAngelsToys.com and maybe see what I am doing wrong ? thanks