Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with importing sites in V12

Hi Mike
    Sorry to cause the confusion <g>
    So far, looks as though the datafile was the culprit.
    Starting a brand new site from scratch (but using the same style, and, this time, controlling layout with tables
    whereas the original file just used indents etc) and NOF didn't crash once! <g>

Still scary that NOF12 could bring down / lock up the entire PC, though...

Adrian

Hi Mike

Thanks for your advice yesterday, points taken on board. However this may help anyone with a similar issue, I have opened all templates in v1, v2 and v3, created and published all with no problem apart from one single template 'Lady Justice' from v3 templates. It would be interesting to see if anyone else comes across a similar problem.

The speed of v12 is very impressive and it has been a snip carrying out the above operation as a test case.

I almost forgot to add that the sites I am having problems with that were made originally using Templates 3 - Photo Lens [39 pages] and Personal01 [4 pages] I still have but using the original templates they work fine.

Regards

Tim

UPDATE: Templates 1 & 2 on viewing once published on my server, around 50% seem to have small issues with images, tables and text boxes jumping around. I have tinkered with one only, and with a little thought was able to correct the layout issues. So no big deal really just a few minutes thought and patience, hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-06-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: updated info about templates 1 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    It has always been recommended to keep existing sites within the same version they were started with and to start new projects in the new version. This goes way back to the beginning of the software. I would recommend that you keep your version 11 sites in version 11 and only move to the newer version (be it 12, 12 5/8, 14, etc) when the project requires a re-design.

You will avoid a lot of "make work" by following this model.
    Mike,

I've been using NOF since version 3, but having said that, I'm not questioning that you are much more experienced with NOF than I am. All I can say is that I've successfully upgraded my sites to the newest version for years (using both a straight copy and also the template method). Out of hundreds of sites, the problems have been few and minor. However, I have never used any of the site styles that come with NOF, I always design my own layout and graphics, so that might have something to do with it.

I do agree that if you have a site that doesn't get updated much and it can't really use any of the latest version updates, why bother to convert it. Previous versions have always co-existed on the same PC very nicely, so it's not a problem to keep multiple versions active. I just hate having to reacquaint myself with the old GUI's and features that the old versions may not have.

Well, this is me too!

I just upgraded to V12 in the hope that a lot of the problems have been sorted. I took a large site that is ok under V11 and imported it. The alignments of the menus were out and a few red apostrophise could be seen. I persevered and then asked for a view in a browser. After a few minutes the program crashed and I was back to where I was.

Even if my website contains problems, the fact that V12 imported it ok means it ought have been cleaned up. What software worth it's salt does not validate it's own input files? If I raise a support issue they will want me to send the whole site (as before) and never come up with a fix except to say I should consider starting again. My time is money so not an option.

After all this wait V12 is, so far, a big disappointment. I have been with Netobjects since V5.01 so I'm not a newbie to this or their products.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoadby View Post
    Well, this is me too!

I just upgraded to V12 in the hope that a lot of the problems have been sorted. I took a large site that is ok under V11 and imported it. The alignments of the menus were out and a few red apostrophise could be seen. I persevered and then asked for a view in a browser. After a few minutes the program crashed and I was back to where I was.

Even if my website contains problems, the fact that V12 imported it ok means it ought have been cleaned up. What software worth it's salt does not validate it's own input files? If I raise a support issue they will want me to send the whole site (as before) and never come up with a fix except to say I should consider starting again. My time is money so not an option.

After all this wait V12 is, so far, a big disappointment. I have been with Netobjects since V5.01 so I'm not a newbie to this or their products.
    Hi dgoadby,

This is not so. Your thinking of NetObjects support under Web.com management. NetObjects Inc. is a (still) newly independent software development company formed by the acquisition of Web.com’s software division and we continue to refine and improve support.

Knowing this, I will keep you in mind as I work with Tim on his issue and let you know what we find.
    Last edited by Adam; 01-07-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Default Here's what I did when opening v11 sites in v12...

When I exported my sites into a template from v11, I first verified all the file assets of each website (deleted those files that were missing), and then re-optimized the sites before exporting them to a template. When I installed Netojects v12, I made sure that the JRE (Tools/Options/Application - use external JRE 1.6), was set to v1.6. When I opened the exported templates in v12, I could only find a couple of translation errors, and those were only limited to a couple of flash horizontal banners that had changed color. Other than that, the transition of sites from v11 to v12 went very smoothly. The three website sizes varied from 4 pages to 81 pages in size. When publishing, I arrange files "by flat", and publish to a temp directory on my C: drive (not the NetObjects default), before uploading via FTP client (FileZilla) to the file server....works for me.