Thread: Changing font in Site TextObject works in NOF 11, not in NOF 12

Question Changing font in Site TextObject works in NOF 11, not in NOF 12

I hope this is something simple that I'm doing wrong.

In NOF 11, I can create a new blank site (using the default site style), change to page mode, Text > Manage Styles... > select Text Object (.TextObject) under Site > Edit... > Character tab and change the font from Automatic to something else (I've tried both Georgia and Comic Sans MS just to have something identifiable).

Text in existing text objects, as well as text typed in new text objects changes to the new font.

However, when I do the same thing in NOF 12, the font does not change. It remains the default sans serif.

I haven't tried publishing to see if there's any difference in the actual web site.

I'm writing a basic intro-to-web-sites for college students, most of whom have no web authoring experience. They learn to use styles in Word so I want to have them use css basics in NOF. Doing anything with external style sheets is out of the question, so I need a solution that works within NOF that's not too complicated.

Thanks,

liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Text in existing text objects, as well as text typed in new text objects changes to the new font.
    Hi Liz the SiteStyle applied might already have CSS for P elements defined. Whatever rules defined for the P tag would supersede the same CSS properties defined for the .TextObject class.

I'd suggest going to the Style View and scrolling down to the "Normal (P)" section, there you can update the CSS for all P elements, which is your normal text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region capture 1..png 
Views:	456 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	698  
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

Mike,

Thanks for your quick response. That's the obvious solution, but here's my concern. If the students are working on their own computers, then having them make a backup copy of a site style and making changes to the copy should work fine. However, at least some of them will probably work on lab computers, with individual logons and limited privileges (Win XP, if it matters). I'm not sure what will happen if students do anything that attempts to write anywhere other than where they have write privileges (basically, My Documents and C:\TEMP). They also may begin working on one computer and continue their work on another, so one major lesson will be proper backup of the site to a template and creating a new site from that template if they do switch computers. They will be working on their site in a folder under C:\TEMP rather than in the default User Sites folder.

Do you have any insight whether having students edit a copy of the SiteStyle will work, given their very limited privileges? Maybe it won't be a problem, but I can't afford to assume that it won't be and then have it blow up on me. The lab computers aren't set up now so I don't have a way to test. Need to get this assignment written and tested by tomorrow if at all possible, but I think once I get this set of problems resolved, the rest will go pretty quickly.

liz

Similar question. Is there an easy way to specify a font for the headings as a group (e.g., all headings are Verdana) or does each heading have to be edited separately?

The site can be saved into any folder the user has write permission to. By default it is below "My Documents", but you could alternatively use File > Save As... to save to C:\Temp. The SiteStyle is part of the Site, and will be saved with the site where ever you specify.

To edit CSS on all pages the Style View is a great option. From the menu bar click Go > Style. Your active SiteStyle will be selected, make sure it is not checked read only. Then scroll down to the "Text Styles" section. There you can update Paragraphs, Headings, Lists, etc.
    Mike
    forums.NetObjects.com

Mike,

Thanks again for your help. I think you've given me the info that I need to work through this. I think that I had problems with altering site styles years and years ago and just haven't tried dealing with them since. Looks like I need to have the students change quite a few of the styles, but it's very easy in style view.

liz

You're welcome, one last bit of info. Since you're in an educational environment you might have the students work off a Blank SiteStyle. There is less pre-written CSS there, that way they won't have to redefine existing rules.

To create a Blank SiteStyle, goto StyleView and then click the "New Style" button from the Views toolbar. This will create a new node in the Active Styles tree on the left. Give the style a name and you're on your way.
    Mike
    forums.NetObjects.com