Thread: Site Backup problem

Default Site Backup problem

Odd behaviour in Site Backup...

One-page site - generated from scratch.
    Has 2 publishing profiles, one local, other ftp
    Noticed that the 'Publish a site backup' checkbox in the Publish Site pop-up doesn't remain checked -
    so has to be 'ticked' each time you publish. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to work - make the process rather less 'automatic'.

With the FTP publish selected go Tools | Options | Current Site | Backups
    where 'Local Publish' is showing under Publish Profile used to store site backups.
    Select the other (FTP) profile, click OK, and NOF hangs with an hourglass.....
    Closing the dialogue box with the red 'x' gives a 'Program not responding' from Windows

On closing NOF & re-opening the site you get the 'Unstable file' message.

Operating system Win XP Pro SP3......

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian5750 View Post
    NOF hangs with an hourglass.....
    After selecting the remote (FTP) profile. Fusion must verify the connection and provision a few files on the server, this might take a minute or two depending on the speed of the server. If the connection fails it might be due to the path generated/provided in the Backup Settings dialog. Check to make sure you're able to connect to the host server and that you have write permissions to the path.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

HI Mike
    Ah - so it's trying to write the zip file to my webserver, is it....
    Surprisingly (!) it's succeeded - under a very 'deep' directory structure it's created three directories (one for each backup) - path looks like this

/webspace/httpdocs/websitename.com/nof-Backup-Manager/nof-#######/######/_versioning_repository_

and each directory contains

websitename-1-20110006174943.xml which seems to be some sort of a logfile
    websitename-1-20110006174943.zip which presumably is the template
    index.php - which contains the single line <?php header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found"); ?>
    index.html - which contains the enigmatic tag <html />
    and index.asp

Is this what you'd expect ?

As I say - the process still results in an eternal hourglass......

----------------

Two questions
    1) Does this mean that you can't create a local (=on your own PC) backup automatically if you're doing an FTP publish - will the program insist
    on storing its backup on the webserver ?

2) Should the 'Publish a site backup' checkbox be 'sticky' - or does it require the user to check it _each_ time ?

Thanks
    Adrian

it's succeeded - under a very 'deep' directory structure it's created three directories (one for each backup) - path looks like this
    /webspace/httpdocs/websitename.com/nof-Backup-Manager/nof-#######/######/_versioning_repository_
    Is this what you'd expect ?
    Hi Adrian. Yes, the deep nesting and additional php, asp, htaccess files are expected and help secure your template. Ideally you would provide a path not available to the public, but some hosts don't offer this.

Two questions
    1) Does this mean that you can't create a local (=on your own PC) backup automatically if you're doing an FTP publish - will the program insist
    on storing its backup on the webserver ?
    You can backup locally while you publish remotely, this is the way Fusion works by default. The profile specified in 'Tools > Options > Current Site... Backups' will be where backups are published until changed (i.e. you can have have multiple back locations, but only use 1 at a time)

2) Should the 'Publish a site backup' checkbox be 'sticky' - or does it require the user to check it _each_ time ?
    The checkbox is sticky throughout the Fusion session, but resets to unchecked after Fusion is closed. We could make it stick per site or per backup profile in the next patch.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Adrian. Yes, the deep nesting and additional php, asp, htaccess files are expected and help secure your template. Ideally you would provide a path not available to the public, but some hosts don't offer this.
    Understood.....
    doesn't explain why the FTP backup process causes the 'perpetual hourglass' and hangs the program, though.....??

You can backup locally while you publish remotely, this is the way Fusion works by default. The profile specified in 'Tools > Options > Current Site... Backups' will be where backups are published until changed (i.e. you can have have multiple back locations, but only use 1 at a time)
    Ah - I see. I'd imagined that the setup in Current Site Options // Publish profie to use to store site backups
    was implying 'when I publish the site / page with profile X - use these parameters for strring the backup' -
    but, if I'm understanding it correctly now, the profile you publish to, and the profile you store the template on, are independant.

If you're advertising this feature as 'Automatically protect your website assets.' I think it needs to be a little bit more 'automatic' <g>
    Adrian

The checkbox is sticky throughout the Fusion session, but resets to unchecked after Fusion is closed. We could make it stick per site or per backup profile in the next patch.
    I guess it's a matter of taste - but, given that the saving of a zip template is an automatic 'insurance' against NOF throwing a wobbly and shredding a site
    (which has been known to happen! <g>) - there seems little point in having an 'off' switch on this feature....?
    As it currently stands, the user has to remember to turn on the 'automatic' backup each time they publish - which seems silly to me.......?

I guess it's a matter of taste - but, given that the saving of a zip template is an automatic 'insurance' against NOF throwing a wobbly and shredding a site
    (which has been known to happen! <g>) - there seems little point in having an 'off' switch on this feature....?
    As it currently stands, the user has to remember to turn on the 'automatic' backup each time they publish - which seems silly to me.......?
    I would prefer it as it is now. Many times a user will not wish to upload a template every time they publish a page to conserve bandwidth and the time involved in the upload process.

An OS alert window saying "remote backup turned off, proceed Y/N?" along with a check box "do not show this reminder again for this session" would be a better option
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    I would prefer it as it is now. Many times a user will not wish to upload a template every time they publish a page to conserve bandwidth and the time involved in the upload process.

An OS alert window saying "remote backup turned off, proceed Y/N?" along with a check box "do not show this reminder again for this session" would be a better option
    HI Mike
    That's a good solution.....
    If you're saving the template locally then I guess the bandwith issue doesn't apply....

It's just that, if the thing's supposed to work 'automatically' then it's probably better to default to 'save template'
    - with the option of the Alert to say 'check box to not save' is more 'fail-safe'....

Given that the most common response on the forums to the 'Help! - my site's disappeared' is
    'You have saved the site as a template, haven't you?' - then many tears might be saved by having this happen
    by default, don't you think.

Maybe have an setting in Publish Options - that says 'always save .zip', 'never save zip' or 'prompt to save zio' -
    and have it set to 'always' by default on installation....

Adrian

I am here to suggest you to download and install this GB WhatsApp for dual WhatsApp which has amazing features and functions to make original WhatsApp use even more better.