Thread: New install, new site, rollover.js error

Unhappy New install, new site, rollover.js error

I had some errors come up with a site I designed using essentials when I opened it in XII and tried to do a page preview. The first error is:
    an error has occured in the script in this page
    line 1
    char 1
    error: invalid character
    code 0
    url file:///C:/Program%20Files/NetObjects/NetObjects%20Fusion%2012.0/NetObjects%20System/rollover.js

I searched for rollover.js and found the suggestion to set administrator priveledges on the executable file, that didn't change anything.

I created a brand new site from scratch, added a simple text box and tried preview - same error.

any ideas why my brand-spankin-new version of XII won't work?

Gary

That error came up when I did a page preview. When I tried to preview the site the error was still there and others came up as well. This is all in IE 8.
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; AskTbGGSV5/5.9.1.14019)
    Timestamp: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 06:44:20 UTC

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NetObjects/NetObjects%20Fusion%2012.0/NetObjects%20System/rollover.js

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    URI: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NetObjects/NetObjects%20Fusion%2012.0/NetObjects%20System/Resources/Flash/FlashCtrl.js

Line: 19
    Char: 3
    URI: file://li-32bitwin7/Client%20Files/1%20Laser%20Image/Website/Netobjects/Testing/Laser%20Image/Preview/index.html

Line: 171
    Char: 3
    URI: file://li-32bitwin7/Client%20Files/1%20Laser%20Image/Website/Netobjects/Testing/Laser%20Image/Preview/index.html

Hi Gary, do the error messages persist when you publish to a web server? Browser will often alert you with a warning when you preview/publish locally. This is true of all sites that contain scripts and are viewed locally.

You could also try to change the Site Generation method to "HTML 4.01" (Tools > Options > Current Site > General tab ). This will update the the rollover.js with a newer JavaScript.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. I just published locally and the errors go away. I changed the Site Generation method to "HTML 4.01" and the problem is still there when I preview. Although I appreciate your reply it's dissapointing that this bug is known and hasn't been resolved. It makes no sense that I should have to publish a site just to preview it, simply because I am using scripts. Is there any hope of this bug being resolved in the program?

gary

Hi Gary, we were not able to reproduce the JavaScript errors you encountered and the issue might be restricted to a specific setup. If we can determine the root cause of the issue, then we'll definitely patch it. At the moment it is not a wide spread known bug.

One thing I noticed in your notes; it looks like you have Fusion installed on your C: drive, but user sites saved to another location (li-32bitwin7)? There might be a permissions issue related to that setup. Would you try saving your "Laser Image" site to your "...My Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0\User Sites" folder instead? This might help with the Preview issue.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

The location may have been the issue. The li-32bitwin7 is actually a locally shared drive but since I got to it through the network share instead of directly to the drive and directory, it may have been a problem. The permissions shouldn't have been a problem but they may have been - not sure why though.

Thanks for the help Mike.

Gary