Thread: Identifying rogue element in layout?

Default Identifying rogue element in layout?

I have read through many threads about extra space in pages but I am still stumped. I've attached screen shots of the page in NOF 12 and of the preview. Within NOF, I don't see anything unusual (no warnings of overlap, etc.).

Every element within the Layout area is inside one text box. I added the text box to the Layout area then added all my content to the text box.

I didn't notice something strange when I was working with this page and maybe this will be a clue. The text box has always been in the upper left corner of the Layout area, although not quite to the top and left borders. The page was wide at one point and every time I'd try to use the margin handles to narrow it, they'd go racing to the right, make the page even wider than it was. Once I sized the layout to the contents, the width corrected itself.

That table that I copied in is not marked as an embedded table. The table that I created from scratch is marked as an embedded table. Again, I don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

Also, the HTML for the layout has been edited and all rogue code removed. I've triple checked that.

I suspect that if I recreate the page, I may not have these problems. However, I'd like to learn how to diagnose and solve the problem. If I'm having it, I'm pretty sure some of my students will have it, too.

The URL for the web site is https://tb2.lsu.edu/users/eswoope/web

Thanks,

liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF101..png 
Views:	444 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF100..png 
Views:	432 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	709  

Why are you placing your content in a text box in the Layout?

This makes positioning much more difficult than it needs to be.

Instead of a text box, try using a Layout Region.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck,

I started with a Layout region, but I'm not adding my content from top to bottom. When I tried to add an element above an existing one, I got the overlap and a mess. Obviously, I've done something wrong, and I'm doing something wrong. I don't want to have to drag elements around, I want the ones that are lower on the page to move down automatically when I put something above them, and continue to move down as I add something to the element above (e.g., more text).

Suggestions appreciated. I'm Fusioned out right now and my brain is not functioning.

Thanks,

liz

I like the freedom of a layout region. But....

You'd do better by putting your content in a table.

Adding more text to a cell would foce everything below it down the page.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that tomorrow. I use tables to control content in word processing documents. Will have to see what happens when I paste a table into a table cell.

Liz

You get a nested table.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    Tutorials and Forums

Chuck,

Yep, it's 4-something a.m. on a Saturday and I'm up testing the table thing. It seems to do exactly what I want it to do, and it's probably a good lesson to start the students using a table with no visible lines to control mixed content on a page even though on first blush it seems to add complexity to the task. Probably should have done that in the first place but hadn't really planned to do that in this assignment.

I really appreciate your input. Even though I'm going to have to do a bunch of rewriting and taking of screen shots, I'll end up with a better lesson so it's worth doing the work to get it right.

liz