Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics mysteriously go missing in preview?

Default Graphics mysteriously go missing in preview?

Working on this same small test site. Everything looks fine, preview works fine, and then at some point (editing, switching between design and preview), preview displays the dreaded boxes-with-xes instead of the actual graphics. Nothing has changed, nothing has moved, it's within an editing session.

If I exit from NOF, get back in, and open the site again, everything is back to normal.

I've been working on this site (started from scratch several times, sometimes I'm working for hours at a time, sometimes not) for the last three days and I'm not seeing a pattern.

Publishing when the preview is wrong produces a site without the necessary graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Working on this same small test site. Everything looks fine, preview works fine, and then at some point (editing, switching between design and preview), preview displays the dreaded boxes-with-xes instead of the actual graphics. Nothing has changed, nothing has moved, it's within an editing session.

If I exit from NOF, get back in, and open the site again, everything is back to normal.

I've been working on this site (started from scratch several times, sometimes I'm working for hours at a time, sometimes not) for the last three days and I'm not seeing a pattern.

Publishing when the preview is wrong produces a site without the necessary graphics.
    When you add your graphics to the site, are they being saved in the NOF folder? If they're not, you'll get the box with the X. The program is similar to Dreamweaver where it's not brain/momery free and needs to have a property folder.

If that isn't your issue, then it's a big in NOF. That's one of the reasons why I got away from NOF, due to things just not function. I'd put up a Guestbook that's made in the Java from them and sometimes it would show and other times it will not show. Not good if you're working on a client's website.

The graphics are being saved where ever NOF puts them. This hasn't happened to me at all today, happened several times yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a screen cap yesterday (figuring it would happen again today) so I'm just having to describe the problem in my notes and hope my students don't run across it. Not betting on that, though.

Preview would work fine for awhile and then it would just quit showing the graphics. I'd have made one little change to the site, and poof. No graphics. Exiting from NOF and getting back in always fixed the problem. This is on a three-year-old Win XP laptop w/2 GB RAM. Might be a memory issue.

The graphics are being saved where ever NOF puts them. This hasn't happened to me at all today, happened several times yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a screen cap yesterday (figuring it would happen again today) so I'm just having to describe the problem in my notes and hope my students don't run across it. Not betting on that, though.

Preview would work fine for awhile and then it would just quit showing the graphics. I'd have made one little change to the site, and poof. No graphics. Exiting from NOF and getting back in always fixed the problem. This is on a three-year-old Win XP laptop w/2 GB RAM. Might be a memory issue.
    Meh, I doubt if it's the memory unless you are using a lot on that computer. 2gb should be fine. Do you have a lot on your computer? Yeah, that's what I didn't like about NOF over the years. It's not stable and can be unpredictable. What bothers me about NOF is this has been going on for years and they still haven't address this bug per new software. I hope that they do, seeing that the company owns the business again. WebPro had purchased several years back.

Was using Snagit to take screen caps, Snagit Editor to edit them, saving to another computer on the network, browsers open. Occasionally Word open. Usual antivirus, etc. Am thinking memory leaks, but who knows? Saw it bunches yesterday, not at all today.

Was using Snagit to take screen caps, Snagit Editor to edit them, saving to another computer on the network, browsers open. Occasionally Word open. Usual antivirus, etc. Am thinking memory leaks, but who knows? Saw it bunches yesterday, not at all today.
    Hi Liz,

This is not a known issue or something we have run across in testing. Curious, are your images stored on an external drive or network shared location? If so, are you at any time losing connection/removing the drive/etc?
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Adam,

The photo is in My Documents on the local computer. The background, banners, and buttons are all on the local machine in the default NOF location. It's as vanilla an install as can be.

The only possible oddball thing is that instead of creating the site in the default location (under My Documents, in the folder NOF wants to use), I've put it in c:\temp\EXST2000web.

It happened to me quite a few times on Saturday, not once yesterday. I was doing more testing and tinkering Saturday. Maybe it was gremlins <wry grin>. I was connected to the hard drive on my desktop computer both days because my screen shots go directly to that computer, but I didn't lose the connection and that shouldn't have anything to do with NOF.

If it happens again, I'll see if I can figure out why. Since the problem can be fixed by exiting from NOF and getting back in, it's merely an annoyance. I reported it just as a "heads up". If I'm the only one having the problem, maybe it's just something with my system. Y'all can't keep an eye out for possible problems unless people report them, though, so I'd rather mention it and have it be my isolated problem than not say anything when it might be the start of a pattern.

liz

Adam,

The photo is in My Documents on the local computer. The background, banners, and buttons are all on the local machine in the default NOF location. It's as vanilla an install as can be.

The only possible oddball thing is that instead of creating the site in the default location (under My Documents, in the folder NOF wants to use), I've put it in c:\temp\EXST2000web.

It happened to me quite a few times on Saturday, not once yesterday. I was doing more testing and tinkering Saturday. Maybe it was gremlins <wry grin>. I was connected to the hard drive on my desktop computer both days because my screen shots go directly to that computer, but I didn't lose the connection and that shouldn't have anything to do with NOF.

If it happens again, I'll see if I can figure out why. Since the problem can be fixed by exiting from NOF and getting back in, it's merely an annoyance. I reported it just as a "heads up". If I'm the only one having the problem, maybe it's just something with my system. Y'all can't keep an eye out for possible problems unless people report them, though, so I'd rather mention it and have it be my isolated problem than not say anything when it might be the start of a pattern.

liz
    Thanks Liz,

We're keeping an eye out as well. Thanks for the heads up!
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Just happened to me again, this time on a different computer. Dell Precision T1500, Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, web site started from scratch, similar to the one I worked on yesterday except using an older site style with a modified background and banner. Happened after I published, had not been taking screen shots. This is a one-page site with no nav buttons. I've attached a screen shot taken from preview. Banner, background, and photo missing. These are not the same graphics I was using yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOF76a..png 
Views:	131 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	713  
    Last edited by Liz; 01-10-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: needed to edit attached screen shot

Happened again! Same computer as above, same web site, but have been in and out of NOF. Same solution. It seems to be related to publishing, but I can't be absolutely sure because I preview/publish/edit and repeat. Unfortunately, it's still not preditable.

Except that I think that it IS predictable! If I publish, then view the actual web site in a browser (either Firefox or IE, doesn't seem to matter), then any additional preview or publish loses the graphics. It doesn't matter whether the browser window is open to the page or not. Web hosting is on Xythos. I have some space on my Cox account that I can experiment (if I can figure out the publish settings again!), but not tonight. I'll see if the behavior is limited ot the Xythos space or if it occurs with both Xythos and Cox space.

I'm also getting some weird extra space between the cells of an embedded table. Doesn't show in preview, does show in on the actual web site. I have made sure that all the tables and all the rows and columns are set to auto width/height. I will PM the URL to you, Adam.