Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Import existing Dreamweaver template site

Question Import existing Dreamweaver template site

I am looking at purchasing NOF 12 to maintain an existing site created as a template in Dreamweaver with php pages. I've used Contribute CS3 for the past 2.5 yrs to add/manage the site but as of late have run into multiple errors adobe is at a loss to fix in contribute.

My question, can you download a website template w/ php pages created in Dreamweaver to NOF 12 w/out too much hassel? (sure that's a loaded question ;o) )

Thanks,
    FD

Quote Originally Posted by midwest View Post
    I am looking at purchasing NOF 12 to maintain an existing site created as a template in Dreamweaver with php pages. I've used Contribute CS3 for the past 2.5 yrs to add/manage the site but as of late have run into multiple errors adobe is at a loss to fix in contribute.

My question, can you download a website template w/ php pages created in Dreamweaver to NOF 12 w/out too much hassel? (sure that's a loaded question ;o) )

Thanks,
    FD

Naw... Fusion is a closed system. It is a database program that generates HTML documents.

It is simple to insert PHP code into Fusion but there is no simple way to take something that exists and "stuff" it into Fusion.

If you think of Fusion like an accounting package. The package will generate a P&L and other reports from the transaction data that is manually entered. What you are proposing to do is to take a P&L and transaction report and recreated the detail transactions. Not gonna happen.

You can create a blank site structure and copy/paste content from a live web site into the Fusion pages, insert any PHP coding you now have, and end up with exactly what you had in DW but you can't take raw code and shove it into Fusion. You have to manually build the site database by using the GUI.

The GUI is so intuitive and easy to use that it should not be too much hassle to move over from the dark side

If you want to post a URL so everyone can take a look at what you now have you will get more input.

Sorry.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

The answer is basically no.
    NOF is a HTML generator.
    You can't even import a website created with NOF.

While I'm typing...... turtle will be springing up very soon with the links to his tuts how to import any site from the web or an existing file.....

Uuuuups, too late..... my goodness me, am I getting slow in typing....?
    Last edited by mia; 01-11-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

...was afraid of that answer, but expected it...human nature to seek out a short cut ;o)... looking to answer the universal question, NOF or Dreamweaver to edit/manage my 'simple' site, even if a redo is needed to create a clean slate. Here's the url

www.midwestlandcompany.com

...thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated

fd

You should be able to do this in Fusion easily. Nothing out of the ordinary. I would suggest that you place the listings in a database and serve it from there (if you are not already doing this).

the overall design/layout is straight froward enough. For the display of the properties you would have a minimum of a content table and an images table. Display the content then loop through the images table to show all images with the same ID as the property. Simple dynamic database coding.

Once you have the content served from a database you will be using a web browser admin interface to keep things updated. It will be a LOT simpler to keep updated then editing static pages with contribute like you are now.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks so much Mike for ithe advice. Once upon a time I created/designed in HotDog. I've left the site design world and broker land, farms, ranches. That being said, my time is spread thin running a land brokerage & maintaining the site. If you know of someone willing to head up the transition and let me 'look over their shoulder' I think I can take on the learning curve of NOF to maintain/add to the site but not sure I could handle too many frustrated nights on a redesign of my site. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

FD

Thanks so much Mike for ithe advice. Once upon a time I created/designed in HotDog. I've left the site design world and broker land, farms, ranches. That being said, my time is spread thin running a land brokerage & maintaining the site. If you know of someone willing to head up the transition and let me 'look over their shoulder' I think I can take on the learning curve of NOF to maintain/add to the site but not sure I could handle too many frustrated nights on a redesign of my site. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

FD
    A lot is going to depend on who your web host is and what dynamic languages and databases they offer.

No point getting a site developed in something that your web host does not support. This is one of the reasons I support all dynamic languages and databases. I believe in a no compromises approach.

Ask your web host what they offer with the package you are currently hosted on. Then you can find someone who will develop coding in what you can use. If your web host offers coldfusion I would point you in that direction as CF is a tag based dynamic language just like html and is very simple to use and understand as it uses plain english tags such as cfquery, cfoutput, cform, and cfmail (and many more simple to understand tags). That way you can "tweak" your own coding yourself rather than having to go back and contract with another programmer that "understands" the dynamic language that was used.

...was afraid of that answer, but expected it...human nature to seek out a short cut ;o)... looking to answer the universal question, NOF or Dreamweaver to edit/manage my 'simple' site, even if a redo is needed to create a clean slate. Here's the url

www.midwestlandcompany.com

...thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated

fd
    I'm a D.W. user. The link that you sent is a basic site. Yes, the site can be duplicated in NOF. I'm currently doing this with a site of mine made with D.W. I still say that D.W. is better because you have full control of your coding. All of my graphics I do in Fireworks. NOF is an easier program; it's a drag n drop and as two already mentioned, html generator. But you're limited on what you can do with the html part. Plus my main concern is stability. Keep that in mind. Especially when working on large websites.
    Last edited by dove-7; 01-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You should be able to do this in Fusion easily. Nothing out of the ordinary. I would suggest that you place the listings in a database and serve it from there (if you are not already doing this).

the overall design/layout is straight froward enough. For the display of the properties you would have a minimum of a content table and an images table. Display the content then loop through the images table to show all images with the same ID as the property. Simple dynamic database coding.

Once you have the content served from a database you will be using a web browser admin interface to keep things updated. It will be a LOT simpler to keep updated then editing static pages with contribute like you are now.
    This.^ That's the best route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    I still say that D.W. is better because you have full control of your coding. All of my graphics I do in Fireworks. NOF is an easier program; it's a drag n drop and as two already mentioned, html generator. But you're limited on what you can do with the html part. Plus my main concern is stability. Keep that in mind. Especially when working on large websites.
    Better is a subjective term.

Like you I am also a long time DW user. I started using DW and Fusion about the same week. I even used to write tutorials for dreamweaver back in the DW 4 days and was a regular participant on the MM newsgroups. I still use DW and have had it installed on every computer I have used.

You just need to use a different mindset when working with both programs.

DW is an enhanced editor (i.e. you can write raw code in it or use the tools to write snippets of code for you).

Fusion is a code generator. You have to use a "finished page" mind set. Any code that needs to be included on the finished page has to be inserted at the location necessary using the insertion points provided.

Neither product has any show stopping limitations as long as you understand the basic design concept of the software.

In Fusion you work on what appears to be the finished web page using the GUI to lay everything out as you wish it to appear. The Fusion product then generates all of the necessary code to display your layout as an actual web page. With Fusion the GUI layout becomes the web page.

With DW the user must create the code using either a directly entry of code or using tools/extensions/snippets etc to create the html code. The code written by the user and the tools used is the web page with DW.

Very different concepts that yield the same results.

As to Fusion's stability. 99.9999% of the stability issues are user induced (improper insertion/pasting of external content into the GUI). The product itself is and has been a stable product. It is the user that induces stability issues through "pilot error".