Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Import existing Dreamweaver template site

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post

As to Fusion's stability. 99.9999% of the stability issues are user induced (improper insertion/pasting of external content into the GUI). The product itself is and has been a stable product. It is the user that induces stability issues through "pilot error".
    Not so sure about your statistics there Mike.
    I had a succession of four hard-lock-ups on this WinXP box using NOF12 to edit a site imported from NOF11.
    Fair enough (I suppose) - given the warnings about importing existing sites.

But, just now - I opened a site that I'd previously generated in NOF12 -
    (make new site from template in NOF12, open up the 'smartphone' template, save as smartphone-test.nod)

That was a couple of days ago.
    Somebody else was asking what the smartphone template included - so I opened my previously-created test site
    in NOF12, tried to publish it locally, and it locked up the whole computer.... had to drop the mains off to get out of it.

Now (of course) I can't reproduce the problem <g>

I don't think I've ever seen a program before, that can completely lock up an entire WinXP machine .....
    or rather - before NOF12, that is.....

It's worrying

Better is a subjective term.

Like you I am also a long time DW user. I started using DW and Fusion about the same week. I even used to write tutorials for dreamweaver back in the DW 4 days and was a regular participant on the MM newsgroups. I still use DW and have had it installed on every computer I have used.

You just need to use a different mindset when working with both programs.

DW is an enhanced editor (i.e. you can write raw code in it or use the tools to write snippets of code for you).

Fusion is a code generator. You have to use a "finished page" mind set. Any code that needs to be included on the finished page has to be inserted at the location necessary using the insertion points provided.

Neither product has any show stopping limitations as long as you understand the basic design concept of the software.

In Fusion you work on what appears to be the finished web page using the GUI to lay everything out as you wish it to appear. The Fusion product then generates all of the necessary code to display your layout as an actual web page. With Fusion the GUI layout becomes the web page.

With DW the user must create the code using either a directly entry of code or using tools/extensions/snippets etc to create the html code. The code written by the user and the tools used is the web page with DW.

Very different concepts that yield the same results.

As to Fusion's stability. 99.9999% of the stability issues are user induced (improper insertion/pasting of external content into the GUI). The product itself is and has been a stable product. It is the user that induces stability issues through "pilot error".
    "Subjective" would be right if I had solely said better. In context, I said, full control over your html coding. That you don't with NOF. I understand the concept behind both programs. "Very different concepts that yield the same results." No one is debating that. We know that the end results is to have a running and functioning website. But it's behind the scenes where there are advantages in the coding area. That was my point. As I also pointed out too. NOF is easier due to it's drag and drop and few more things. D.W. is the opposite but have more power and control on what you can do.

"user induced" Yes, users do play a role too. But let's not throw numbers out there that large. We know that NOF have some bug issues that's been known for years. Scapegoating that on 99.9999% is exaggerating. The concept with D.W. vs. NOF is no different than ADobe Flash vs. SWishmax. Both in the end make flash based websites. But they too have some different concepts and one will give you more control than the other. Swishmax is more like NOF. Easy drag n drop like NOF. While Adobe Flash is more like D.W. Complex, but you have more control.
    Last edited by dove-7; 01-12-2011 at 04:52 PM.

you should look into potential conflicts with existing software especially any AV software that is running. You might want to disconnect your connection to the internet (unplug your modem) and run fusion without AV software looking over its shoulder.

How long has it been since you have done a clean OS install? I'm not suggesting that you do one but if you have been running the same install for several years and added and removed a fair amount of software in that time, you can get some very odd behaviors.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

HI Mike

you should look into potential conflicts with existing software especially any AV software that is running. You might want to disconnect your connection to the internet (unplug your modem) and run fusion without AV software looking over its shoulder.
    Hmmm - running Avast here, and it's peacefully coexisted with all the other programs on this PC..
    Not really practical for me to disconnect from the 'net, just for the sake of debugging NOF.......

How long has it been since you have done a clean OS install? I'm not suggesting that you do one but if you have been running the same install for several years and added and removed a fair amount of software in that time, you can get some very odd behaviors.
    Some time since a clean XP install - but same comments apply - I've only ever seen one program (NOF12) get its knickers so comprehensively knotted that it brings down the entire PC......
    ...up until installing NOF12 any infrequent lockups could be cured by Alt-Ctr-Del and killing off the offending program (usually Firefox)
    in Task Manager. I'm not used to killing the mains power to the PC in order to continue.

I've worked in tech support, and I understand some of the crazy things that users can do -
    but to attribute 99-and-4-decimal-places percent of problems to 'user error' just isn't sensible.

Fusion 12 is Windows 7 compliant. The first version of Fusion to be so.

Perhaps that compliance came at a cost with some incompatibilities for the ancient XP OS.

Something NetObjects should look into.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrian5750 View Post
    I've worked in tech support, and I understand some of the crazy things that users can do -
    but to attribute 99-and-4-decimal-places percent of problems to 'user error' just isn't sensible.
    And not very accurate either. Was a humorous example for effect not something that was developed by any kind of statical analysis

During beta testing I ran 12 in XP, Vista, and 7 and had no issues (well no show stoppers and I classify a lock up as a show stopper). As far as I know, no one else had their system freeze during beta testing. These leads me to believe that your issue is local (i.e. resides somewhere in your computer setup).

Now back when 7 or 7.5 was released there was an issue that was not caught in beta testing with certain nvida video cards and the driver for that card that drove a lot of people bonkers until it was isolated and resolved.

I would suggest that you stick with your support ticket so that NetO can find out what the cause of your problem is, and determine if it is a software problem/bug or if it is your problem (and they can help you resolve it). Speaking of which you may want to check the firmware and drivers for your hardware. I had a firmware issue on a raid controller board that kept PhotoShop CS5 from functioning that drove Adobe nuts for over 3 months. It is still getting responses on their support forum a year later as others find they have a similar issue.

As you know from being in tech support, it is almost imposable to resolve an issue that no one else on the planet can duplicate. I doubt that you will receive much help on the user to user groups when you seem to be the only one with this issue. This is why you are receiving a number of "suggestions". No one has a resolution as no one knows what the problem is.. You have provided us with the symptoms, not the problem.... well yet anyway... keep plugging away until you isolate it.
    Last edited by gotFusion; 01-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

And not very accurate either. Was a humorous example for effect not something that was developed by any kind of statical analysis

During beta testing I ran 12 in XP, Vista, and 7 and had no issues (well no show stoppers and I classify a lock up as a show stopper). As far as I know, no one else had their system freeze during beta testing. These leads me to believe that your issue is local (i.e. resides somewhere in your computer setup).

Now back when 7 or 7.5 was released there was an issue that was not caught in beta testing with certain nvida video cards and the driver for that card that drove a lot of people bonkers until it was isolated and resolved.

I would suggest that you stick with your support ticket so that NetO can find out what the cause of your problem is, and determine if it is a software problem/bug or if it is your problem (and they can help you resolve it). Speaking of which you may want to check the firmware and drivers for your hardware. I had a firmware issue on a raid controller board that kept PhotoShop CS5 from functioning that drove Adobe nuts for over 3 months. It is still getting responses on their support forum a year later as others find they have a similar issue.

As you know from being in tech support, it is almost imposable to resolve an issue that no one else on the planet can duplicate. I doubt that you will receive much help on the user to user groups when you seem to be the only one with this issue. This is why you are receiving a number of "suggestions". No one has a resolution as no one knows what the problem is.. You have provided us with the symptoms, not the problem.... well yet anyway... keep plugging away until you isolate it.
    What about some of the java based programs? Example: Guestbook. Sometimes it'll show when you upload it and other times it doesn't show at all. Or if it does show, some of the elements don't appear. That's an example of stable and why I said better is not subjective in this case. I'm currently dealing with this now like I have in the past. Trust me, I wished that it was on my side. But it's a pretty cut n dry process (I think that it is.) and it happens. Each time that I upload, I'm doing nothing different from the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    What about some of the java based programs? Example: Guestbook. Sometimes it'll show when you upload it and other times it doesn't show at all. Or if it does show, some of the elements don't appear. That's an example of stable and why I said better is not subjective in this case. I'm currently dealing with this now like I have in the past. Trust me, I wished that it was on my side. But it's a pretty cut n dry process (I think that it is.) and it happens. Each time that I upload, I'm doing nothing different from the first time.
    Care to elaborate? I am not aware of any issues with the components such as you are describing? Perhaps you can share a link of the issue when it happens next. You can always PM me the links or to provide me more details.

Have you tried switching JRE from the bundled 1.4 to the latest? I run the bundled 1.4 without any problems but some users seem to have better stability with 1.6.
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Care to elaborate? I am not aware of any issues with the components such as you are describing? Perhaps you can share a link of the issue when it happens next. You can always PM me the links or to provide me more details.

Have you tried switching JRE from the bundled 1.4 to the latest? I run the bundled 1.4 without any problems but some users seem to have better stability with 1.6.
    Yes. As I had already addressed. When I add the Guestbook that's made from NOF. The Guestbook sometimes won't show. And when it does, some of the elements don't show. Example, the captcha doesn't show. There's a question mark there and below that it says, "An error has occurred. Please see administrator."

The JRE question. I'l have to check into this. Just so I won't confuse people, I'm using NOF 11. Perhaps we should move this over there so that others don't get confused if they want to assist me. I'll leave that up to the MODS.

I'll also p.m. you the link too. Btw, this doesn't just happen with th java items. It also has happened to me when I use the drop down menu to add items.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post

I too have had issues over the years with the NOF components, so much so, that I never did use any on a live site. There comes a point where it just isn't worth the time and energy to troubleshoot the problems, so I just moved on. Still use NOF for 90%+ of my projects and plan to upgrade to 12 this weekend.

Michael