Thread: Can you Preview what a template will look like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can you Preview what a template will look like?

For refresher... from the Main page in NOF XII, under new sites the thee options are;

New Blank Site (which is not blank),
    Site from Wizard (no comments here),
    and Site from Template.

Site From Template is interesting to me as it seems like it could speed up the design process... or at least give some ideas.. as well as samples for good usage of the included functions and components that you guys have created. So thank you for that.

Is there a way to see what a template will look like prior to actually saving the site saving? I have purchased a lot of templates and creating a site for each one is a drag. What is the short cut? Thanks in advance.

respectfully,
    Scot

Scot,

By template, do you mean SiteStyle? If so, you don't have to create a site for each style. Create a new blank site and create a single page. Then click the Style button, then the + sign beside Local SiteStyles (or other location that contains styles). In that list, click each style to see the components. There's a Preview tab just below the toolbar, so use that to see a sample page. Just look at each style until you find one you like. Set Style and go back to your site.

Is that what you mean? If not, post back with more detail and some of the gurus will have an answer for you.

liz

Thanks for the reply liz. i understand styles fully. I do not mean sitestyle.

Open NOF12
    Click on New Site from Template
    It then opens a folder with zip files (templates)

the only way i can figure how to see these files is by creating a new site. There is no preview option that i can find for templates.

Scot,

Makes perfect sense. I ran into something like this for some statistical programming software and ended up generating output with all the different "looks", taking screen shots, and setting up a web site so I'd have something as a reference because there wasn't any. I can sympathize...

liz

Thanks Liz, But you think that when program team is looking at the product... and they select from template... thier users (me) would want to know what it looks like prior to saving a test site... i have several sites in my folder that are named something like this... "Bluefadedbackgroundwithoranngeswoosh.nod" i have a site that is named WORKING... so this is my lengthy process

i open a template and save it as "working"
    Do you want to overwrite? YES
    then i decide if it is a template with naming keeping.
    I then Save As
    i will close this site and open another one from template and call that one working and repeat the process..

When a user has to manipulate the product to make it work for a simple thing such as "What is this going to look like?" makes me feel like i am a retard when in fact seeing what a template will look like before you use it makes perfect sense. Vol3 comes with a PSD screen shot so if i can open PSD's i can see what vol 3 has... but for the templates that are downloadable the only look you get is when you first download them and that is a small look... I mean c'mon already.

But still i am probably ranting and there is a quick solution to what it is i am trying to do i just don't know what it is. NOF Team is really good and their replies are generally smart and good as well.

here is one of the NOF 12 Templates... with little modifications. I like it and would use it, this is just a test but it is online. www.yachtsplus.net

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Thanks Liz, But you think that when program team is looking at the product... and they select from template... thier users (me) would want to know what it looks like prior to saving a test site... i have several sites in my folder that are named something like this... "Bluefadedbackgroundwithoranngeswoosh.nod" i have a site that is named WORKING... so this is my lengthy process

i open a template and save it as "working"
    Do you want to overwrite? YES
    then i decide if it is a template with naming keeping.
    I then Save As
    i will close this site and open another one from template and call that one working and repeat the process..

When a user has to manipulate the product to make it work for a simple thing such as "What is this going to look like?" makes me feel like i am a retard when in fact seeing what a template will look like before you use it makes perfect sense. Vol3 comes with a PSD screen shot so if i can open PSD's i can see what vol 3 has... but for the templates that are downloadable the only look you get is when you first download them and that is a small look... I mean c'mon already.

But still i am probably ranting and there is a quick solution to what it is i am trying to do i just don't know what it is. NOF Team is really good and their replies are generally smart and good as well.

here is one of the NOF 12 Templates... with little modifications. I like it and would use it, this is just a test but it is online. www.yachtsplus.net
    Hi Scot,

We plan on releasing PSD files of our templates via Cloud Burst in the Online view. Off the top of my head perhaps a sample link hosted somewhere to click through and see the template in action or at least to larger screenshots! We will have an archive at some point in the future (probably a link off the main site) so this is something we can think about.
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

Scot,

I agree that there outta be a way, and it looks like there will be. I'm just saying that I've run into it with other software and did something myself so I did not have a reason to keep bitching. That may not be an option in your case...

liz