Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOF 11 crashing

Yes, I took my version 7 template through Essentials and exported a new template from there. Had exactly the same problems in NOF 11 creating a site from this new Essentials template. Site ultimately came in. I then closed the site so NOF 11 would save it, make the backup, and treat it as an existing site. Exited NOF 11. Relaunched NOF 11. Clicked on the existing site to open it. Immediately got the pop-up runtime error about the Fusion.exe and "abnormal program termination." Clicked OK. After watching the hour glass for 15 minutes without NOF 11 actually crashing, went to Task Manager which said program was not responding. Told it to "end now" to terminate NOF 11 that way. I am ready to scream. Something is obviously VERY wrong with something but I don't know what's wrong and I don't know what to do about it. Any additional advice?

We've gone through all of the easy ways. Now we get into more work on your part.

If you can get into your existing import in 11 you can "try" to start replacing components (this includes the nav bar too...). Who knows, you might just get lucky and find that your site project comes back from the dead if you replace all of the old version 7 components with version 11 ones. No guarantees mind you, only suggestions at this point

If replacing all components does not clear up your project issues you will have to export your project as "sections" and reassemble it during import.

Can you export your site in sections (is it set up so that it can easily be broken down into several movable sections)? A site of that size is going to be difficult to handle in one block.

Export just your home page (use selected pages instead of entire site)

Start a new site with the home page in 11.

Then go to your sections (in site view). If you hold your shift key and click your left mouse button on a parent all child pages will be selected along with the parent page. Export each selected block.

Import them into 11 as sections to reconstruct the site structure.

You will still have to go through essentials to get from 7 to 11. You will still need to delete some of the components and recreate them (click on the component in the 11 tool bar, place it, and configure it). There have been a LOT of changes to the components since Fusion 7 was released.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

OMG!! If what we've gone through the past several days is the "easy ways," I can't face the "more work" ways today. I'm fried!

Yes, I do have 8 iterations of the Rollover Picture component on the site. See http://www.santafetradingpost.com These components are in the right master border. So hopefully I can get into the NOF 11 site and just delete them and recreate them from scratch. Luckily my navigation "bar" in the left master border has always been text that I typed in a text box. It is not a NOF text navigation bar, so it's not a "component." What about the banners? Are they considered to be "components," too??

If I can't work in the NOF 11 site and have to go back to Essentials, surely deleting the master border components there and exporting a new template should work, shouldn't it? I'd already thought about exporting/recreating the site in sections. That's doable <groan>, but it's my procedure of last resort. I'm terrified that the entire link structure would be messed up, even though theoretically that shouldn't happen. Right now I'm in full "whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong" mode!

Thank you for your continuing help. I'll give you the latest update tomorrow.

I know you will spank me for asking.... but... Is there a compelling reason you wish to move the site out of Fusion 7? Is it functioning reasonably well in that version? I know several users that maintain old sites in older versions of the product. If nothing is broken now... well...

Looking over your site it would be an excellent candidate for a using a dynamic language, especially for the store items. Serving some of the "similar displayed content" from a database could cut the number of pages down by as much as 70%

you might want to give some consideration to keeping the existing site in version 7 and starting a new site (with a database store) in Fusion 11 (or even 12). Now this is assuming that the site is yours and not a clients.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Sorry Mike. Day job got in the way of all the fun we're having. Haven't had a chance to do any NOF work today and now I'm waay too tired. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.