Thread: Strange Link Fail Problem!

Default Strange Link Fail Problem!

I've been using Fusion a long time and have never seen this. I created a new page with a text link to it and published several days ago. Fine. Today I rebuilt the page, republished and the link would work - page not found. So I re-did the link (over and over) and it still won't work. I even deleted the page, created a new page with the content, linked to it and it still won't work. It seems I am suddenly unable to create a link that doesn't already exist! Thanks in advance for ideas, Lynn

I should add that not only does the link not work, but the page (which was published successfully) in also no accessible by entering the url directly. Perhaps the problem is at the host, but they say it is the software being used.

Can you post a link?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

http://kensingtonrunestone.us/html/current_issues.html

The text link at the bottom of the page is to a page titled groundline. The host says that page has some kind of asp extension on it and their servers are unix. But all the other pages andmy other sites work. Thanks!

ps I'm now trying to import a template of the site into essentials to see if it will publish correctly from there but I can't seem to get that done. Is it possible? If I just buy Fusion 12 will that fix my problem? Will 12 work ok on Vista?
    Last edited by moonrock; 01-18-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Your problem is not with the link or the Fusion product. There is something wrong with the actual next page (the groundline.html one). The page may have been hijacked and recoded without your knowledge.

What I would recommend is that you

1) Delete all content off of your domain.
    2) Clean up your work files as outlined in this tutorial http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029
    3) Upload all of the pages again

This holds if you ONLY have content placed on your domain that is within Fusion (no other or outside content). If you have other content you should identify all of the Fusion content and delete that.

If this resolves your issue I would recommend that you change all of your passwords (FTP and control panel passwords especially) as they may have been compromised. I would also notify your web host if this clears up your problem and ask them to check your FTP log as their global passwords may be compromised.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks much! Would any of this affect other sites that I also created with Fusion and are with the same host?

Quote Originally Posted by moonrock View Post
    Thanks much! Would any of this affect other sites that I also created with Fusion and are with the same host?
    This is only a guess based on what I saw when visiting the site.

If you want to do the minimum I would suggest that you log into your domain using a 3rd party FTP program like FileZilla and delete the groundline.html page and upload a copy from your computer. It works locally on your computer doesn't it?

IF this fixes the problem I would still recommend that you rotate your passwords. Rotating passwords on a regular basis is a good safety precaution.

Thanks again. I'm a little confused. Are you suggesting that a malicious individual did this on purpose? I sort of doubt that. There are probably only 6 or 7 people who know this site even exists, it's only been registered about a month. But I will change the passwords, thanks again!

Does your web site function as it should when you local publish and check the pages?

If it does then your remote pages might have been compromised.

I deleted all but three pages including the problem page. I then made a new page in it's place, set a new link, re-published the whole site and it seems to be fine! Thanks again for all your help.

ps I am asking the host to check for logins from other than my IP.