Thread: Local publish file problem

Default Local publish file problem

For my first site I installed NOF 7.5 on one laptop and did not update it. Made a site (some probs but they were rectified here by kind people) then did a Local Publish and using Filezilla uploaded it, no problems. Have now installed NOF on another laptop and this was updated. I wanted to create a single page with just an image and text (site under construction). I went to publish local site but the folder created another folder assets, this never happened on the other laptop. However uploaded again using Filezilla, text and image in preview, but on the server only the text appears with what looks like a placeholder. So I wonder why this is happening. The path I am told is wrong, assets should not be in the string.
    I was totally unaware in the first place that NOF has FTP built in. So as I find Filezilla a little bit of a problem (age against me, a silver surfer) would using NOF FTP help me?

Did you move all files and folders in the Local Publish folder to the server? For a site that basic, the built in FTP should work just fine.

Yes I did, but it was the assets folder that threw a wobbly. On my previous site local publish folder there was not an assets folder at all. That's what puzzling me. From your experience would using NOFs FTP be better for me. As I see it now I am maybe making matters worse using Filezilla, not getting the correct info up onto the server.

Depending on your publis settings, you very well may have an assets folder. Since you are using a new install, the settings may be a little different than what you have seen before. FileZilla is a great FTP program and you won't be making anything worse by using it. A little practice is all it takes. You'll get the hang of it.

Best of luck..........
    David

Are you sure you are looking at the correct folders? This is how Fusion sets up its folder structure: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4028
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Yes Mike and thanks. I printed off your info, but it is not working as before. I am thinking that as I installed this on another PC and updated it, this has caused the problem. I will now uninstall it and use my CD to reinstall clean. Meaning I will remove all in C drive and registry before re-install. Hopefully this will sort everything out as on my other PC. Here I had no problems. Just out ot of interest would you use NOF FTP or Filezilla for uploading?

Quote Originally Posted by kfoto View Post
    Just out ot of interest would you use NOF FTP or Filezilla for uploading?
    I have used a 3rd party FTP program for the past 10 years or more with Fusion. I find it nicer to see everything on the server and local computer and be able to manipulate files. I put a lot of other things on a web site besides what Fusion does which requires me to use a 3rd party FTP program so I just got in the habit of using it for everything. This is how I work and it might not fit how you work.

There is nothing wrong with the built in FTP module in Fusion. It is fantastic for someone with less computer knowledge than what an advanced user would have. It works and it does not goof up much. You can goof up a LOT using a dedicated FTP program if you do not know what you are doing.

I would suggest that you use both so that you become comfortable with your server's file structure. For some things you will need FTP access. Fusion does not see below root and if you are uploading an access database or setting up a hidden FTP folder you need to get below root and do these things manually.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks to all who replied. I think that this fresh install with an update could be the cause of my problems. Seems strange everything worked well on the other PC without the update. As to FTP I do not have much PC knowledge with this software , yes I can build and repair PCs, done photographics and video, but this is just something new to me, making websites. It all boils down to one thing, like Mike says and it is true, you have to know what you are doing. My problem with Alzeimers I can't remember what I did yesterday!! Thanks to you all for your attention.

Have a look at Filezilla.
    It's so simple amd self-explanatory.

And after you made a local publish of your project, NOF creates a folder "Local Publish".
    You will find this in your project folder.
    All you have to do now, open up Filezilla, connect to your server.
    In the left window you see your harddrive, navigate to the local publish folder of your project.

In the right window you will see your server.
    All you have to do now is to upload the content of your local publish folder up onto the server.

Once you get a bit more comfortable with this way of upload you will love it.
    If you just changed a single page, no problem, the upload of just this page will take seconds...

And if you have problems with remembering why don't you create a log file.
    Write down what you did, make notes, a list...
    I do this sometimes as well.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Thanks Mia for your ideas. What is apparent now is that NOF did not create a folder Local Publish for some reason. Also if my memory serves me well here, when I installed NOF on my first laptop it created a folder for the installation. However when I came to install it on my macbook running XP on bootcamp it did not make a folder and the files are everywhere on c drive. I think an uninstall, major clean up and fresh install might be the answer here. Yes I do have lots of notes here otherwise I would be totally lost.