Thread: Editing Fusion 11 site using text editor

Default Editing Fusion 11 site using text editor

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to re-skin a 15 page Fusion 11 website with a new design / theme. I'm new to NetObjects Fusion (but have 10 years web dev experience) and I was hoping to get a couple of questions answered if I can please?

Basically I'm wanting to know if it's practical for a competent developer to reskin a Fusion site using a plain text editor. I'm quite happy with my existing development tools and (with all due respect) don't really want to buy this product just to work on one small job.

Iif I use a text editor to make these changes, can the original developers still use Fusion to continue making changes? Obviously I'll be sensitive to any special tags that Fusion has added into the code.

Does Fusion store the template in a single template file (like PHP includes) or is it more like Dreamweaver, where each page is self-contained?

At this stage I don't have FTP access so I can't check these things for myself, which is making it more difficult to quote on this job.

Thanks everyone. Any advice appreciated.

Simple answer - No.

Once you mess with the code outside NoF, it stays messed. NoF is a code generator, not a code editor.

And, if its a simple 15 page site, why wait for FTP access? do waht i do and use http://www.httrack.com/ website copier.

Sadu,
    Why dont you download and install the free Netobjects Essentials and get a feel for what the program does? NOF does let you enter code directly if you know what you are doing. You may get to like the program because you can get a site up and working in a relatively short amount of time. IMHO
    Bert542

Quote Originally Posted by Sadu View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to re-skin a 15 page Fusion 11 website with a new design / theme. I'm new to NetObjects Fusion (but have 10 years web dev experience) and I was hoping to get a couple of questions answered if I can please?

Basically I'm wanting to know if it's practical for a competent developer to reskin a Fusion site using a plain text editor. I'm quite happy with my existing development tools and (with all due respect) don't really want to buy this product just to work on one small job.

Iif I use a text editor to make these changes, can the original developers still use Fusion to continue making changes? Obviously I'll be sensitive to any special tags that Fusion has added into the code.

Does Fusion store the template in a single template file (like PHP includes) or is it more like Dreamweaver, where each page is self-contained?

At this stage I don't have FTP access so I can't check these things for myself, which is making it more difficult to quote on this job.

Thanks everyone. Any advice appreciated.
    Fusion is a very different animal than DW and other editors.

If your client wishes to end up with a usable Fusion database after your redesign you must work in the same version of the product that the end user has or the exported database file cannot be used by them. Fusion is NOT backward compatible so you cannot go out and get the latest version if your client is not also using it.

If the client does not care if they are able to continue using the Fusion product then you can just download the live html pages and open the pages in the editor of your choice. Fusion generates html. There is nothing special or out of the ordinary, only html.

You should ask your client if they expect to be able to edit their site content with Fusion after you are finished. If they do expect to continue using Fusion to change content you should give some consideration to creating a full dynamic site that will allow them to make edits via a web browser interface. That way you can work in the editor of your choice and the client can still continue to make edits to the content.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Ian

Default Re: Editing Fusion 11 site using text editor

Remeber that if you alter anything outside of NOF then when someone else
    updates the site with NOF and uploads it you will most likely lose your
    changes.

Ian

On 01/20/2011 03:48, 1FugleyKiwi wrote:
    > Simple answer - No.
    >
    > Once you mess with the code outside NoF, it stays messed. NoF is a code
    > generator, not a code editor.
    >
    > And, if its a simple 15 page site, why wait for FTP access? do waht i
    > do and use http://www.httrack.com/ website copier.
    >
    >

OK, thanks for some good feedback everyone.

It sounds like making direct changes to the HTML is a terrible idea, so I'll forget about that one. Leaving 3 other options...

1. I buy a copy of Fusion, ask the existing developers nicely for a copy of the fusion source database, and then take over control of all future updates to the site.

2. Rewrite the site using a CMS or alternative platform.

3. Leave the existing developers to do the reskin using their existing copy of Fusion, maintaining the status quo. The reason I'm involved at all is because their quote to do this work was over the top and the client is looking for other options.

Ian

Default Re: Editing Fusion 11 site using text editor

NOF XII has just been released but there seem to be one or two bugs at
    present. Not sure on that as I am still running V11.

However you can use NOF with its built in version manager if you both have a
    copy of NOF. The NOF manual says: -
    "With NetObjects Fusion's Versions Manager, you can store site versions in
    template form, in a remote location, with a few simple clicks.

You can keep a copy of the current template on a remote server then,
    providing you and your client are both set up the same, upload it and NOF
    will store a copy of its working files as a template in a separate folder
    (for example) in the hosting area on the web server. If your client needs to
    make a change then they can automatically retrieve the template and make
    their own changes. It works well but only one of you can make changes at any
    given time.

Ian

"Sadu" <Sadu.4o8x0i@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> wrote in message
    news:Sadu.4o8x0i@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...
    >
    > OK, thanks for some good feedback everyone.
    >
    > It sounds like making direct changes to the HTML is a terrible idea, so
    > I'll forget about that one. Leaving 3 other options...
    >
    > 1. I buy a copy of Fusion, ask the existing developers nicely for a
    > copy of the fusion source database, and then take over control of all
    > future updates to the site.
    >
    > 2. Rewrite the site using a CMS or alternative platform.
    >
    > 3. Leave the existing developers to do the reskin using their existing
    > copy of Fusion, maintaining the status quo. The reason I'm involved at
    > all is because their quote to do this work was over the top and the
    > client is looking for other options.
    >
    >