Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've designed a Template Directory, need to place Linked files into a folder

Question I've designed a Template Directory, need to place Linked files into a folder

I have created a large template directory with approximately 160 different files. I am hosting it on our intranet server internally. It is a simple site with a text link that opens the corresponding template.

The question I have is; can I change where these files are stored when i publish? When I publish, I have the usual folders: Assets and html, and the file index.html. Unfortunately, I have all 160 templates stored in my root directory as well.

Is there a way I can set NetObjects to place these linked documents into a specific folder within the root directory, called say; "files", instead of the root directory of my website?

It would just look cleaner when i publish my final directory.

Thanks

Take a FTP programm like Filezilla, create a folder on your webspace where you want to have your 160 files, name it as you like.
    And then you create external links in your main project.
    Easy.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Quote Originally Posted by nedmondson View Post
    I have created a large template directory with approximately 160 different files. I am hosting it on our intranet server internally. It is a simple site with a text link that opens the corresponding template.

The question I have is; can I change where these files are stored when i publish? When I publish, I have the usual folders: Assets and html, and the file index.html. Unfortunately, I have all 160 templates stored in my root directory as well.

Is there a way I can set NetObjects to place these linked documents into a specific folder within the root directory, called say; "files", instead of the root directory of my website?

It would just look cleaner when i publish my final directory.

Thanks
    If you wish to do this from within Fusion:

1) Click on the Publish icon to go to publish view.
    2) Right Click on your root folder
    3) Select New Folder (name it files) from the list of options

You will now have a folder called files off of root (like you want)

Now... on the right side of the publish window select the files you wish to move into this new folder and drag and drop them into the Files folder.

I would move a couple of them and do a local publish to make sure that the links get changed to reflect the new location and that the files end up where you told Fusion to place them. You will want to clean up your work files and folders so that you do not end up with duplicate files in multiple locations. See this page for details: http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029

If all works as it should, you can go back and move the rest of the files.

Just make sure you do not select the Clear Customizations option in publish view as this would move everything back to the default locations.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

turtle, it´s great that you point our how to do this within NOF.

But honestly, would you really do it like that..?
    It´s so easy to load the whole lot up to your server into a special folder and have done with it.

Kind regards,
    Mia
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Thanks gotFusion! That is exactly what I was looking to do.

Also, thanks for your input too Mia. I am placing these templates in our local template directory and when the user opens this directory, i just didn't want them looking through 160 files to find the index.html file.

Also, thanks for your input too Mia. I am placing these templates in our local template directory and when the user opens this directory, i just didn't want them looking through 160 files to find the index.html file.
    Sry, but somebody is standing on the line.... I don´t understand this...
    Can you try to enlighten me...

Hi Mia,

Take a peek a the attached Jpg. A before and after of what my viewers will see. I wanted each of my documents hidden in a folder, not with the index.html file.

Not sure what you mean: "Sry, but somebody is standing on the line...."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	netobj..jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	744  

Hi ned...,

somebody is standing on my line ..... is : I don´t understand what you want to describe, somebody is standing on the/my cable...
    First your were talking about textlinks which are connected to templates.
    And you wanted to put them all into a special folder on the web.

Now you come out with a screen of what I can´t read, because it´s all blurred.
    Are your users supposed to choose from a list of files..?
    This is not what you mentioned in the first place.

Never mind, if it works ok for you now. I was just puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    turtle, it´s great that you point our how to do this within NOF.

But honestly, would you really do it like that..?
    It´s so easy to load the whole lot up to your server into a special folder and have done with it.

Kind regards,
    Mia
    What would I do? I would make a folder with 3rd party tools like you recommend and set folder browsing to on or upload a folder browser script to dump the folder contents as links. I have an example of a folder dump script I wrote somewhere on the GF site but I am getting ready to do a full backup and have almost everything closed on my home computer now so can't go looking for a link to it.

I would open the remote folder using a scripted popup window with no chrome so that the visitor can only select content or close the window when finished.

The OP asked if there was a way for Fusion to do it. Yes there is but it might not be what I would do

NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

You are a very clever guy.