Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering the move to 12

Default Considering the move to 12

I would like to join the crowd and upgrade to 12 in hopes of redesigning and updating the entire website. On the stamping page, I need to keep the two links where they are now, located under the paragraph, but change the look of these links to look like the top and bottom navigation bars. Also, I would like to change the overall color scheme of the website. Will this be a matter of simply changing the style or will this part involve a complete overhaul?

http://www.rockfordtoolcraft.com/heavystamping.html

Thank you.
    Last edited by gregs; 07-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs View Post
    I would like to join the crowd and upgrade to 12 in hopes of redesigning and updating the entire website. On the stamping page, I need to keep the two links where they are now, located under the paragraph, but change the look of these links to look like the top and bottom navigation bars. Also, I would like to change the overall color scheme of the website. Will this be a matter of simply changing the style or will this part involve a complete overhaul?

http://www.rockfordtoolcraft.com/htm..._stamping.html

Thank you.
    You should be able to do all of this in your current version before you export the site to move to the newer version.

Changing colors is just a matter of editing the style attributes in style view, cleaning up your work files, and generating all pages.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Gregs....

I would agree with Mike. If I were you I would make all the changes you need to make in the same version software you created it in. Then migrate the site if you need to. I would definitely recommend upgrading if not for anything more than the speed in which V XII operates. That's a big step. I like your site as it is and I am not sure you can do any better with V XII. What I am saying is that I don't believe there is much in V XII that you can't do in V11.

You will like NOF XII

Best of luck,
    David

It's probably only fair to warn Gregs that there are issues with updating/transferring between versions of NOF.

I have two NOF11 sites that (even after the export/import process) will crash NOF12, to the point where the entire Window PC
    is locked up solid, and the only way out is to disconnect the mains.

Only had one such site up to ten minutes ago - but another one just decided to misbehave.

Apparently, accepted wisdom amongst long-term users is that any site smaller than 75 pages should be re-created
    from scratch when moving up a version of NOF - rather than risk crashes, corruption & lock-ups.....

Now I've got a dilemma. The first site that locked up this computer was only a couple of pages long -
    the current one is several hundreds....

So - switch back to NOF11 and work on in that program? - or rebuild from scratch in NOF12 ?
    Decisions.....

Adrian

I have heard that there have been problems. I don't think any more so than any other piece of software. I for one have not experienced any (as of yet). But I do not have a problem keeping some sites in V10 or V11 untill a re-design is necessary. I like to keep changing and updating sites frequently. When it is time for change, what better time to move it up to the "latest and greatest"?

Mind you......these are just my thoughts on the subject!

David

Quote Originally Posted by adrian5750 View Post
    Apparently, accepted wisdom amongst long-term users is that any site smaller than 75 pages should be re-created
    from scratch when moving up a version of NOF - rather than risk crashes, corruption & lock-ups.....
    That's not very wise and I can't believe it's accepted. I can completely understand new version files not working with previous version programs but not being able to bring in older files??? Seriously??? I don't know about you, but if I had to recreate 2 pages I would be annoyed, let alone 75 pages!

What is this discussion all about not moving your site into the next version?

When a new version comes out our first priority is always to check how the older sites import by templates into the new version. Going by our experience for the last years this works just fine. From 7 to 8, to 9, to 10.....
    And if you are an oldie, you even moved your site from 4 to 7 ...and carried on....
    Good job too, because if a new version comes out with new features, like the MLRs in NOF11, you might want to use them in your project as well.

The only requirement is:
    Your project has to be clean.
    Don't expect that the new version solves the problems you have with your current site.
    The definition of clean is simple but endless....Keep your project slim, enormous files like galleries don't have to be in your main project. Take care of your assets, clean up and get rid of the old und unused ones
    Never use Word formatting in your project, kills it, sooner or later.
    Don't mess around in the page view to format anything, use the main design view to do your settings.
    Use tables, because NOF uses tables anyway, so if you use tables yourself you can fix your layout and content right there where you want to it.
    And use CSS to create the look you want and to place everything where it's supposed to be.
    .......................an endless list......
    Last edited by mia; 01-18-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

HI Mia
    I appreciate that this

When a new version comes out our first priority is always to check how the older sites import by templates into the new version. Going by our experience for the last years this works just fine.

might be the 'company' view - and taking note of your list of requirements - I have two sites that were created in NOF11, and, when editied in NOF12 (having gone through the export/import process) will still lock NOF12 _and_ the complete pc completely solid.....

One of the long-time users here came up with the assertion that for any site smaller than 75 pages, it was quicker & safer to rebuld completely from scratch in the new version of NOF rather than risk importing the old site into the new version of NOF.

I don't have Word on this machine - so that's not the problem.
    It's always easy to say 'not the program's fault - it's the data' - but how did the data get there in the first place ?

Don't get me wrong - I like NOF generally, though NOF12 seems to be more a marketing exercise than a series of solid improvements,
    and it's disappointing to see some of the silly bugs and poorly-implemented features that have made it into the first release of NOF12,
    and the ripoff Euro pricing strategy is a scandal - but I'm hoping that Netobjects willtake not of what its users are saying and bring about improvements.

However, if it's unreliable to bring a NOF11 site into NOF12 - then lots of users will seriously consider whether NOF12 is worth the money and effort.

Adrian

Hopefully YOU don't get me wrong.
    I'm not connected to the 'company'.
    I'm just a normal user like you are.
    When I talk about 'we' I mean our german forum.
    We are very questioning users and every new version has been critically judged.

All I wanted to say with my post is, going by our experience in the past year, that in nearly all cases where the import into the next version fails the problem lies in the project not in the programm.
    And why your project fails..... well, without a closer look, nobody can tell.

I like NOF too but I'm far away from saying the programm is without fault.
    Right now the mods and admins of our forum are beta testing the german version.
    We will do our best to help improving the new version, this will apply for the english version as well.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Quote Originally Posted by mia View Post
    Don't mess around in the page view to format anything, use the main design view to do your settings.
    .......................an endless list......
    Hi, Mia

A great start to the list -- one we should all be more conscientious in following.

Can you clarify what you mean about this? Possibly just a terminology issue, but in my mind "page view" and "design view" are the same thing. (Well, "design" being one of the three tabs in page view, along with "Code" and "Preview").

Danke,
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in