Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOF12 Forum / nntp

Default NOF12 Forum / nntp

Hi all
    I know that NOF12 is all new & shiny <g> -
    but are there plans to carry the NOF12 forums on nntp - same as the NOF11 ones ?

Some of us find the 'traditional' newsreader a much more convenient way to access the info.

Thanks
    Adrian

+1. It takes so much longer to futz through all the blasted eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    +1. It takes so much longer to futz through all the blasted eye candy.
    <g> - It's not just me then....

Partly the eye-candy is a waste of time - and partly that, using newsreader software (like Thunderbird), the latest contributions to each thread are highlighted automatically every time the software gets my email - so it's ever so simple to follow.

Can't understand why these NOF12 forums aren't on News - or why nobody from NOF has commented / arranged for it to happen....?

I no longer have a news reader installed. We mirrored the NetO nntp groups for the past 10 years (since NetO announced that they would be closing back in 2001). When They opened this forum I closed my mirror of the nntp NetO groups and when I went to Win 7 I didn't even install a news reader. I use outlook for emails and that product does not have a news reader built in.

I think that the last version of windows that came bundled with a news reader was XP and that was outlook express.

Most users who have never seen an OS older than Vista have no idea what a news reader is, how to get one, nor how to install it once they find one, nor how to subscribe to a news server, then subscribe to a newsgroup.

Everyone screamed bloody murder when Macromedia announced they were abandoning nntp... So much that they mirrored nntp right along with the new forum format. When they sold to Adobe, that was the end for nntp for all the products.

Most companies are moving away from nntp. It was refreshing to see that NetO decided to mirror nntp and the groups.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Yup, I also no longer use a news reader. Swore I would never give it up but after a few weeks using the NOF forum I found this was easier and better than NNTP.

And @Adrian - the latest contributions are very easily found by clicking on the button "What's New?"
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    Yup, I also no longer use a news reader. Swore I would never give it up but after a few weeks using the NOF forum I found this was easier and better than NNTP.

And @Adrian - the latest contributions are very easily found by clicking on the button "What's New?"
    HI Paul & Mike

I understand about the 'What's new' button - but it's nowhere near as convenient (to me!) as simply checking in a news / mail reader where
    the latest posts in threads are automatically downloaded and shown highlighted.

This way I can keep an eye on a dozen or so newsgroups of interest to me, without all the grief of visiting each on in a browser, logging in,
    waiting for the eye-candy, trawling through what I've seen aleady & so on....

As NOF's newsgroups from 7 - 11 including 75 and essentials are already mirrored......
    how much more effort would it take to mirror the NOF12 ones ?

If cost is an issue then NOF could fund it with the extra USD 30 they make everytime somebody buys NOF12 in Euro <g>
    - I'm sure it all adds up pretty quickly <gg>

Adrian

We'll bring NNTP back into the mix within a couple weeks. We understand everyone has a preference for good reason and we try our best to accommodate.

Not that I'm looking to convert any NNTP die-hards (I'm an IRC guy myself) but give the web-based forums a try for a week or two maybe they'll grow on you.
    Mike
    NetObjects Technical Support
    forums.NetObjects.com

How many votes do I get in this debate? I reckon 1 for each version of NoF I have purchased.

I cast my 7 votes for NNTP.

Forte Agent still gives me a faster and better read than this clunky model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We'll bring NNTP back into the mix within a couple weeks. We understand everyone has a preference for good reason and we try our best to accommodate.

Not that I'm looking to convert any NNTP die-hards (I'm an IRC guy myself) but give the web-based forums a try for a week or two maybe they'll grow on you.
    Hi Mike
    Nice to get an NETObjects answer....
    Can i be a right royal pain - and ask

"Why 'a couple of weeks'"

Is it such an enormous task that you can't get round to it until then ?

If management refuse to allocate resources to doing this little thing - let them know that it's all about
    customer goodwill, and ongoing support for loyal users of your program.

Given that you're going to do it anyway - please, please can you do it sooner rather than later ? -
    and provide the same service for NOF12 that you're already providing for earlier versions.
    Surely it's a fairly simple thing to organise ?

By the way - web-based forus haven't 'grown on me' since I was active on the Compuserve forums back in the mid 1990's -
    and I think it's unlikely I'm going to experience a sudden conversion now!

I suspect that the only reason you've not been deluged by protests from NNTP-users is that they can't bring themselves to use
    the dreadful web-based alternative - so if yuo're doing a head-count of people who want News access then multiply it by a factor
    of 10^several for the 'silent majority'...

C'mon....

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    What's the progress on this task? - (as in mirroring the NOF12 newsgroups on news.netobjects.com so that we don't have to use the web forum) ?

It's three weeks since I raised the issue and 2 weeks since you said 'in a couple of weeks'.

It's surely a small task - and would make lots of users very happy....

Adrian