Thread: Old(er) site templates -- are they compatible with NOF12?

Question Old(er) site templates -- are they compatible with NOF12?

I've been using NOF since the version 3, so over the years I collected lots of templates (and used relatively a few of them). I'd assume that everything from version 10 and on would be compatible but I haven't tried it yet. So, anybody knows if these older templates can still be used (say, from version 7 or 7.5 on) or is it just better to stick with the new stuff for the NOF stability sake?

Quote Originally Posted by zts View Post
    I've been using NOF since the version 3, so over the years I collected lots of templates (and used relatively a few of them). I'd assume that everything from version 10 and on would be compatible but I haven't tried it yet. So, anybody knows if these older templates can still be used (say, from version 7 or 7.5 on) or is it just better to stick with the new stuff for the NOF stability sake?
    The major differences occurred at version 3, version 5, version 7.5, version 11 There are other minor differences between all versions but the major shake ups are those.

If you have a version 3 template you want to bring in to 12 you "should" take it through the major change versions progressing from 3 to 5 to 7.5 to 12. You "might" get lucky and bring a version 3 template directly into 12 as long as it was very basic. Most of the components will be toast and need to be replaced.

It has always been recommended to keep sites in the version they were started in to avoid issues. I never have

Use exported templates to move and even if the project turns to dust you still have the original to keep working with.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thank you, gotFusion. Great explanation of the key NOF versions. I'll probably bring only a few favorite templates over to 12 and short web sites with a few pages I'll just re-do them. I actually rarely had any problems with NOF stability except in cases where i missed some 3rd party components .. like coolmaps components (you probably remember them)