Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pages is too many?

Default How many pages is too many?

I am working on a site that currently has about 70 pages. When it is done it will have upwards of 450 pages. It seems every time I ad a page Netobjects gets slower and slower. I am running NetObjects Fusion 11 on a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit version) with 4 gig of ram on an AMD Athlon P320 Dual Core Processor 2.1 Ghz

I realize that upload and preview would get slower as I ad pages but why would adding pages slow down the core program to the point where I can type about 10 words and it takes 3 seconds to see them pop up? If this is going to be an ongoing process I may have to abandon NOF forever. I have been using it since version 2 came out and have never had any problems like this. Of course I have never had a website with more than 50 pages before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW- I am running the program as admin with nothing but a web browser running with it.

Slow typing echo has been traced to too many local fonts installed (and other things but too many installed fonts is the typical cause). If you have a bazillion fonts installed go through your font list and remove the ones you will not use.

As to the software becoming slow with additional pages. The use of components is the single biggest problem with an overall slow down. As you increase the size of the site project you may need to insert 3rd party scripts that do the same thing in place of your components.

Any site over 100-150 static pages should be served from a database. Back when Fusion 4 was released I took a site with 900+ pages into a database and cut it down to under 10 display pages and 30 or so admin pages. Once you get there you no longer use Fusion to maintain the site, you use a web browser interface to login and add/edit content.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

gotFusion,
    Thanks for the reply. I just typed an entire reply and lost it for some reason. I will try and reconstruct my reply:
    I have only about 25 additional fonts installed above and beyond what comes with windows. I am using a menu drop down but it is the same on every page so far. Is that considered to be separate components when it is on different pages? Could that be what is slowing down the program? If so, that is a MAJOR issue for me. I do not know how to create databases and call them for the info. I have never had any reason to do so up until this point. Do I need to abandon all hope and learn SQL and PHP? I just got through learning how CSS and XHTML work together so if I learn SQL and PHP all I will need is a text editor?

You do not have to use a database, you can continue to use static pages but the larger the site the slower Fusion "may" run. Fusion is a database program that generates html The more information it needs to process to generate web pages the longer it takes to load and perform its tasks.

Can you post a URL of the site you are working on?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

gotFusion,

Thanks again for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot post a URL of the site as it is far from any viewable form, so it would not do much good. But just as an example, I cannot stand the web calendar included with 11 and I have yet to find one that functions well enough to insert into the site (that includes Google's calendar as it is not professional looking to have a Google calendar on a production site) so, what I did was create a page for each month with anchors on the different dates with a main page with table grid calendar linking to the appropriate anchor date. Yes, that looks bad and it will be changed as soon as I find the appropriate calendar scripting. But that added 12 pages to the overall site by itself.

I guess I am having a difficult time understanding why more pages slows down the program if nothing is being generated until a preview or local publish. That was one of the great things about NOF that I have loved since Ver 2. With the inline preview frame no operations are actually being used so the drop down menu is not visible, just the initial button. It seems to me that yes, it would be slow upon generation of the scripts and codes but not in the design process. I make it a point to remove unused assets on a regular basis so that they do not bog the system down.

I guess I will just deal with the slowness until I learn SQL/PHP

On a separate note, is there a way to remove all of the NOF used in the code generation? I removed the meta tag but there is still ".nof_formsHandler_input_button" and the like in the CSS it generates. I would love to have a way to set these so that the nof stuff does not show. To me that is an advertisement for NOF and if I am paying for it I should have the ability to not advertise for them. Know what I mean? I would also like to be able to remove the underscores from the CSS because it just looks bad to me. Am I asking for too much? I have paid well over $900 for NOF upgrades over the years. I just want it to do what I want it to do.

Does no one know how to change the output code to not have NOF all through it?

Max

Default Re: How many pages is too many?

Eric,

NOF doesn't allow that. However you could process the files that NOF
    generates through a multi-file editor - I occasionally use AF9 for such
    purposes: http://www.fauland.com/af9.htm.

Max

----
    eric young wrote:
    Does no one know how to change the output code to not have NOF all
    through it?

Twayne

Default Re: How many pages is too many?

In news:eric.young.4o6e2z@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com,
    eric young <eric.young.4o6e2z@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com> typed:
    > Does no one know how to change the output code to not have
    > NOF all through it?

If you mean the "Built with NOF", just delete it. You can also remove it
    from the Assets folder to be sure it's gone but you'll still have to remove
    the link to it from your pages/master border/s. You can also turn it off
    from the Tools; Options; Application area IIRC.

Otherwise, I don't understand the question; sorry.

HTH,

Twayne`

Twanyne,

I was meaning from the generated code like ".nof_formsHandler_input_button"

I just figured since I paid for it, it could just be generated the way I wanted it to look, without any association to the program that compiled it. A lot of free programs do this. It is part of their branding. Most pay for programs will just generate the code in the nicest smallest way. It isn't a big deal as I am abandoning my many years with NOF to do the actual coding myself by hand. That looks like the only way to assure that the code will look right and can easily be validated.

Eric

PS This is but one of the many reasons for this decision. I still think that NOF is a great program for people that do not know how to code.
    Last edited by eric young; 01-27-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric young View Post
    Twanyne,

I was meaning from the generated code like ".nof_formsHandler_input_button"

I just figured since I paid for it, it could just be generated the way I wanted it to look, without any association to the program that compiled it. A lot of free programs do this. It is part of their branding. Most pay for programs will just generate the code in the nicest smallest way. It isn't a big deal as I am abandoning my many years with NOF to do the actual coding myself by hand. That looks like the only way to assure that the code will look right and can easily be validated.

Eric

PS This is but one of the many reasons for this decision. I still think that NOF is a great program for people that do not know how to code.
    Like most software that writes/generates scripts, Fusion uniquely identifies the variables. Dreamweaver writes all kinds of mm_ scripts also.

If you want to limit the fusion variables, stop using the fusion components. For forms to email,write your own forms processing scrip. For other functions such as your menu, use a program like AWM. Locate and use 3rd party scripts or write your own if you want to have control over naming conventions