Thread: Best way to copy content to a new site?

Default Best way to copy content to a new site?

So now I have Nof 12 and I'd like to completely redesign my site. But how do I copy a lot of the content from an old site to the new? This is just the text/data and not the design itself. I'd prefer not to try and change the existing site as I really want a clean start ( to try and free myself from years of poor choices and general clutter )

Only way I can think of so far is to publish the old site locally and open it in a browser or edit the actual files ( some are php ) and cut and paste from there. Is this the only option?

Cheers
    Alan

Alan, if it a large site that would require a lot of copy and paste you may want to save your site as a template and open it it NOF 12 and then delete all the "stuff" leaving just the text or content and then build around it. If you are using an older version of NOF you can open v 11 (for example) and v 12 at the same time and copy from one to the other. I would definitely paste unformated text or "paste special" just to remove any rogue formatting.

Best of Luck.
    David

Hi, Yes there are a lot of pages, although the site itself isn't too complicated. I did look at using a template but with lots of pages trying to keep track of old and new proved too complicated for me. Ok maybe I just need a much larger screen so it all fits?

I didn't know I could run an old version along side V12. If I open a copy of the site in the old I could copy and paste and delete pages as i go to keep track of where I am. That will suit me perfectly! Thanks very much.

Yep paste special is a given

Cheers
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by jacobite1 View Post
    So now I have Nof 12 and I'd like to completely redesign my site. But how do I copy a lot of the content from an old site to the new? This is just the text/data and not the design itself. I'd prefer not to try and change the existing site as I really want a clean start ( to try and free myself from years of poor choices and general clutter )

Only way I can think of so far is to publish the old site locally and open it in a browser or edit the actual files ( some are php ) and cut and paste from there. Is this the only option?

Cheers
    Alan

You can open the old site in your older version of Fusion and start your new designed site in the new version and copy/paste between the two open versions of Fusion in page view.

Quote Originally Posted by wtpooh55 View Post
    Alan, if it a large site that would require a lot of copy and paste you may want to save your site as a template and open it it NOF 12 and then delete all the "stuff" leaving just the text or content and then build around it. If you are using an older version of NOF you can open v 11 (for example) and v 12 at the same time and copy from one to the other. I would definitely paste unformated text or "paste special" just to remove any rogue formatting.

Best of Luck.
    David
    When copying from Fusion to Fusion or between pages within Fusion you should use the default paste option of Formated RTF so that you get all of Fusion's internal coding/formating when you paste.

It is only when you copy/paste from outside sources such as other software like MS word that you should use the unformatted text paste option to avoid bring in controls that Fusion does not understand.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Morning Mike. Absolutely Alan can paste in Formated RTF. I should have mentioned that. I was kind of going with the angle that he wanted to start over and this way he would not have any of the old formatting that may haunt him later if he really wanted "to start over" clean.

David

Well I've given it a try but without a great deal of success so far.

Opening V12 and V11 side by side is fine. But ...

I don't see an option to Paste in Formatted RTF, just a plain old paste. Unless you mean that Formatted RTF is what that option uses? Think I'm a bit confused as usual.

I managed to copy and paste plain text without problem, but when ever I try and paste a block of text that includes an image into V12 then I get a Damaged Object message and V12 crashes and closes.

I had optimized the old site.

I'll keep trying things to see if it is particular assets/images causing the problem or any image.

Cheers
    Alan

You should paste text and place your images using the image tool from the tool bar.

as an alternative you can redesign your site in Fusion 11. When finished, export the new site (new design and all content) as a template. Then import that template into Fusion 12. You should end up with your new design and all of your content that way.

Here is the export/import tutorials

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=17

BEFORE YOU BEGIN: open your site in version 11. From the menu bar select File > Save As and give the project a new name. That way your original project file will remain untouched.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz