Thread: resizing pictures seizes up, anybody else?

Default resizing pictures seizes up, anybody else?

Every time I try to shrink down a lorge picture to fit it into a layout, the picture keeps getting messed up. This works fine in 11, but is not working in 12. Anybody else have this problem? Basically the picture stops shrinking evenly at some point and only the size decreases while the picture stays large, so it gets cut off. If that makes sense at all. lol. Just wondering if I am the only one having a problem.

Most users will resize an image in dedicated image editing software then insert the correctly sized and compressed image where they want it. This is the best way to avoid issues with improper sized or compressed images that can slow down your page load times.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

So why does Fusion bother to have a resizing and optimizing tool on the image? bah. It's there, it should work. Which by the way, it does, it just stops showing the pic and you think you've lost it. But if you let it get down to the size you want and hit OK, then it will pop up there correctly.

You can pound in a screw with a hammer but a screwdriver will do a better job

You can edit images within Fusion but a dedicated image editing program will do a better job.

The tool you decide to use is up to you.

Fusion is first and foremost an html generation tool. You can let Photoshop create html for you but you would be better off using a piece of software that does a better job if you have a choice.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Good point. I feel the same about many of the 'extras' that are part of Fusion and would much prefer these to be optional installs but I guess NO have to provide as many tools as they think the 'average user' might need. But as most forum members will agree it's always better to use a hammer for nails and a screwdriver for screws. Thus all image processing should be done in your preferred graphics application and the finished image brought into NOF.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

I guess I prefer my swiss army knife. One tool for all so I don't have to carry around a bunch of things.

Quote Originally Posted by vegaburm View Post
    I guess I prefer my swiss army knife. One tool for all so I don't have to carry around a bunch of things.
    Hi Vegaburm,

Your right, it should work and from my testing it does. Can you provide a few more details?

1. Type of image?
    2. Approximate size of image? Both physical and KB/MB.
    3. Are you shrinking via the Image inspector when the image is placed or by using the sliders in the Picture properties palette and the Geometry tab/tools?
    4. Does this happen in a new blank site or perhaps just one site in particular?
    5. Anything else you think would be relevant.
    Adam
    NetObjects Technical Support

It DID work . It just made me think it wasn't. I used it in one site, on many different pictures. Pics were 2 MB or so. I used both the sliders, and the other methods, including the pop-up that says this is large, do you want to re-size, etc. It would start to shrink, but then it would reach a certain point and only the outline would shrink, appearing to crop the picture down instead of shrinking it. Sometimes the picture would dissappear altogether and I would see only the outline. what I found though, was tht if I let that outline get to the size I wanted it and clicked Accept, then it would pop up the picture shrunk to that size. While I was working it was deceptive though since it would change partway through. But I repeat, it does work. It just messed with my head a little. Now, if you can figure out my form problem in my other post then I would be doing a happy dance.