Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convence me to upgrade

Default Convence me to upgrade

I have used your product to build and maintain our web sites from your first release, and have enthusiastically endorsed your product. I even contacted you all on several occasions to participate in your Beta program. www.radiowavz.com Aground version 9 we started having support issues. It got to the point that we could not even up date our cart system. This cost us money. You can see our history. I know you are a company all on your own now, and have claimed to fix these problems. I would very much like to upgrade and not switch over to the Adobe product. But I need to get the that warm fuzzy feeling about you again. It has been our why to dance with the one who brought you. I have two tickets open that have not been responded to.

This is a user to user forum and most of the people on here are just like you.... users of the product. The owners of the company as well as their support personal do frequent this forum and they do respond to user problems.

What you choose as a development tool depends on your needs and your comfort level.

If you are a hard nose hand coder I would steer you to other products that are more "editor" based. If you are a graphic design person then Fusion is just about the only player on the block for you.

If you are not already a user of Adobe products (the creative suite of products) your cash outlay is going to be gargantuan and if you are not familiar with their product the learning curve is more like Muholland drive rather than the Hollywood freeway.

As far as support.... You will get much faster answers in any user to user forum than you will by contacting a product manufacturer directly. They make their money by developing and selling products. The service/support side is a money loser for them so even with the best of the best out there you are going to have a long wait for any kind of meaningful answer. This is just the way it has always been and probably always will be.

NetO used to have great support. They also used to CHARGE for it too... Many products have gone to a paid support model. Some even have subscription models that cost far more than the original cost of the product. I have run a subscription support organization for over a decade.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I too have been using NOF since the very early versions and have noticed a decline in the level of support or even concern about their product. I still have a paid support voucher that I've neven used because the support desk could not resolve my database related problem. I consider myself an advanced user and incoorporate alot of hand coding for .asp applications. Currently, I'm using NOF version 10 and actually came into my office tonight to order v12 but after reading v12 related posts on this forum, I am concerned about doing that now. I need someone to assure me that v12 is stable and will upgrade from v10 without any issues. Of course, I will back up all my nod files before opening them with v12.

Can someone who's been using NOF and is comfortable with the product tell me that v12 is stable?

Thanks for any input.

12 has been very stable on my Windows7 Home Premium system.

Laurence

I here ya. I have been using Fusion since at least 9 and the instability issues have never been properly addressed. It seemed as if the company(ies) behind the product disappeared. I was glad to hear about an upgrade but had my doubts - and have more still since it seems they are taking a direction toward making it more user-friendly to the less sophisticated developer.

My first question is: how well does it import prev versions. My second is: did you fix all those darn bugs? I get tired of fusion crashing on me a lot. TG it works with Win 7 well enough but it always makes me nervous that one day, I won't figure out a workaround one of those quirky crashes. I have over 400 pages developed for a big client of mine. I need stability and a commitment to those of us who are serious developers too!

My approach to buying version 12 is that I have been using it since Version 3. Sure there are issues along the way - but I want Netobjects to be there for me (not go out of business). Therefore, I like to think that I am part of the family of supporters of Netobject. As such, I purchased the upgrade instantly the evening it came out. I suggest you do the same. We will work out all the issue as we walk down the road together. Besides, try the trial versions of other programs and you will likely uninstall them in an hour. Netobjects is the best. As they say on Cash Cab, "Are you in?"

Adrian

Default Re: Convence me to upgrade

On 01/02/2011 00:46, Radioman wrote:
    > I have used your product to build and maintain our web sites from your
    > first release, and have enthusiastically endorsed your product. I even
    > contacted you all on several occasions to participate in your Beta
    > program. www.radiowavz.com Aground version 9 we started having support
    > issues. It got to the point that we could not even up date our cart
    > system. This cost us money. You can see our history. I know you are a
    > company all on your own now, and have claimed to fix these problems. I
    > would very much like to upgrade and not switch over to the Adobe
    > product. But I need to get the that warm fuzzy feeling about you again.
    > It has been our why to dance with the one who brought you. I have two
    > tickets open that have not been responded to.
    >
    >

To be honest - I'd wait until the first set of bug-fixes for NOF12 is
    released (which is apparently going to be fairly soon) - as there are
    one or two silly things in the current release of NOF12 that are due to
    be fixed...

IMHO, support remains an issue. The forums give great user-to-user
    support, but tickets to Netobjects can take some time to be answered.

As to the 'all going down the road together' approach - I guess it
    depends on whether you're looking for a ready-to-use 'business tool' -
    or a social hobby <g>. Having worked for many years in software
    development, I do understand that there's always 'that last bug' - but
    over-reliance on beta-testing in user groups is no substitute for a
    proper structured in-house approach to testing....

Having said that, there are probably very few alternatives to NOF
    - but bugs in the software do cause frustration at times!

Adrian

Radioman,

It's a no brainer (for me anyway). I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag so Fusion is THE product to use. I've tried every bit of web development software there is and there is nothing out there that compares, not even close. I do use one or two of the other bits occasionally but only for minor tasks. NOF is my primary tool and has been for over 15 years. I've upgraded on each release but I also wait for a while, as I do with Windows releases and any other software.

As for support, I like most NOFers, have had major issues with NOF support over the years but to be frank, you probably wont need it as the support from this forum is awesome. There are some amazing people here and to date I have never had a problem go unresolved.

So, do you upgrade - YES. When do you upgrade - that's up to you.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Default That is why I have

Quote Originally Posted by JLewis View Post
    My approach to buying version 12 is that I have been using it since Version 3. Sure there are issues along the way - but I want Netobjects to be there for me (not go out of business). Therefore, I like to think that I am part of the family of supporters of Netobject. As such, I purchased the upgrade instantly the evening it came out. I suggest you do the same. We will work out all the issue as we walk down the road together. Besides, try the trial versions of other programs and you will likely uninstall them in an hour. Netobjects is the best. As they say on Cash Cab, "Are you in?"
    I have in the past done just that how ever I have been left out to dry in quite a few situations. I have over the years spent a lot. Simple timely returns to my questions. As a small biz would have been nice. How would it go for you if you were not able to update you site. Or add products.

dwolf

Default Re: Convince me to upgrade

I know nothing of 12... but what I do know is I built my site back with
    version 4 and what made it such a success was these forums...
    I had so many questions and all got answered in a very timely manner...
    Usually the time to get up from the work and eat a meal the answer was there
    when I got back... Now this was many years ago, but I imagine from what
    little help I have asked for here lately this is still fantastic support...

I always gave thanks and once again thanks again.. My site has done me very
    well....

jlfurniture.com

"Adendum" wrote in message
    news:Adendum.4ohel5@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...

Radioman,

It's a no brainer (for me anyway). I couldn't code my way out of a
    paper bag so Fusion is THE product to use. I've tried every bit of web
    development software there is and there is nothing out there that
    compares, not even close. I do use one or two of the other bits
    occasionally but only for minor tasks. NOF is my primary tool and has
    been for over 15 years. I've upgraded on each release but I also wait
    for a while, as I do with Windows releases and any other software.

As for support, I like most NOFers, have had major issues with NOF
    support over the years but to be frank, you probably wont need it as the
    support from this forum is awesome. There are some amazing people here
    and to date I have never had a problem go unresolved.

So, do you upgrade - YES. When do you upgrade - that's up to you.

Paul - 'Aditerum Ltd' (http://www.aditerum.co.uk) and 'AllSortsOfStuff
    Ltd' (http://www.allsortsofstuff.net)
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945
    Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    -wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry
    about!!!-