Thread: When to use Text Properties vs CSS Common in Page View

Default When to use Text Properties vs CSS Common in Page View

I've read the manual, the quick start guide, and Plotkin's book NOF v11 but still need some guidance about what palette to use set text attributes. Specifically, when I'm in Page View I'm not sure what the differences are to change text attributes when using any of the following:

Text Properties Panel (both in the panel and the Format button)
    CSS Common or Property Sheet Panel
    Text Formatting tool bar
    Text menu, Manage Styles.

Thanks to the nice tutorial that barbara0701 posted I do have a better understanding of CSS styles in the Style View vs the Page View. I would certainly try to use the Manage Styles in Style View as much as possible because that seems most efficient. But I'd like to know what is the best workflow regarding the above tools for using the above tools.

Hi Frank,

Text properties panel
    Basically you should avoid using the "format" button. Use the custom styles drop down menu within the text properties palette.

CSS Common or Property Sheet Panel
    Ignore. Some use them, I personally don't because one should basically use custom styles > As I tried to explain in the tutorial

Text Formatting tool bar
    Ignore

Text menu, Manage Styles.
    Use it as I descibed.

Consider this: NOF is a great wysiwyg tool. If you use it to just jot down a small website without wanting to really get involved with the background understanding, you will of course tend to utilise the inline formating tools.

But if you want to create a really good website with a large amount of pages and with nice graphic backgrounds, it is better to get used to custom styles.

So the really sound option is:

1. Text menu, manage styles > create custom styles
    2. Choose your custom style in the text properties panel (palette).

Thanks Barbara that clears up a lot that I've been struggling with for a long time. I wish they put your tutorials in the book! After reading your tutorial a couple times and especially the last two points you made it's pretty clear to me how to create a web site efficiently.

I did have one additional question. Can you explain (on the Style page) what is the difference between: Normal(P); Text Object; Body? It appears from your tutorial that you only use Body to set the global background and Normal is what would occur by default when you create a text box but not sure why Body style has text attributes and how these three are related.

Ooh.. good one Frank. I always hesitate on that one when I'm establishing text styles for a SiteStyle.

Something else on the same page that I've often wondered about is the default text and heading styles that are present when you first open up a style.
    They are all set to:
    Font: [Automatic]
    Size: [_____] (blank)

What determines the actual properties with these settings? The users' browser?

P.S. Tausend Dank for the tutorial, Barbara. While I mostly follow those principles, it's nice to see it spelled out so clearly. My first sites with NOF used the properties panel exclusively and it's only over time and some comments on the newsgroup that I have weaned myself off of this.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

kspoor

Default Re: When to use Text Properties vs CSS Common in Page View

> P.S. Tausend Dank for the tutorial, Barbara. While I mostly follow
    > those principles, it's nice to see it spelled out so clearly. My first
    > sites with NOF used the properties panel exclusively and it's only
    > over time and some comments on the newsgroup that I have weaned myself
    > off of this.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ray Cambpell
    > Sounds In Sync
    > 'Unlimited Web Hosting $5.95/month' (http://tinyurl.com/hosting595)

Where can I find this tutorial? I tried looking for barbara0701 with no
    luck on this board.

Thanks

Kspoor

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    Something else on the same page that I've often wondered about is the default text and heading styles that are present when you first open up a style.

They are all set to:
    Font: [Automatic]
    Size: [_____] (blank)
    What determines the actual properties with these settings? The users' browser?
    The ultimate fall back (for anything not set anywhere in the style sheets or on a document/page) is the visitor's default browser settings
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by kspoor View Post
    Where can I find this tutorial? I tried looking for barbara0701 with no
    luck on this board.

Thanks

Kspoor
    That group is not mirrored on nntp, only the online web forums:

http://forums.netobjects.com/forumdisplay.php?4

The link that is in that forum topic is:

http://www.nof-schule.de/netobjects-...NOF/index.html

You can also find a fair amout of info on gotFusion regarding CSS:

http://www.gotfusion.com/menu/index.cfm?SubMenuID=12
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz