Thread: Do Not Publish but don't delete, either

Default Do Not Publish but don't delete, either

Reading another suggestion, I am reminded of something that sometimes pops up. There are times when, after initially publishing a site, I want to mark a page "Do Not Publish" but still keep the page intact. Currently, if a page is marked "DNP" all references to it (navigation, links, etc. ) are also removed.

For example, I am currently doing this on a site where I need to publish a specific page separately, and this page has it's own .NOD file. I've put a "dummy" page in the main site (with the same name) so I can establish internal links to this page, but once that's done, I'd like to have it not publish when I do updates, as it will then overwrite the real page.

I suppose I could use a full URL to link to the page, but this can cause grief sometimes with things like SSL/secure sites because they look like external links.

(Or, select individual pages to publish, but it only takes one time to forget when testing an update to mess up the whole works...)
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

for site navigation you can use the custom option, select external, and reference the page(s) as a relative location (you would not even need a place holder page for this)

For text or image links you can select external and use a relative location just like in the custom menu. The page does not need to exist in the site project as it is called as an external link (even though you are using relative link notation).

Using this method requires no thinking outside of creating the initial link to the page(s) that are part of another project that will be inserted external to the working project.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I presume for doing this, for the "New link:" drop down you would select "(none)" instead of the default "http://", then provide a relative path like ./html/sub_page.html?

That means I'd need to create two different masterborders with two different nav bars to go to this one page due to the different path from "Home" and all the other pages, no?
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    I presume for doing this, for the "New link:" drop down you would select "(none)" instead of the default "http://", then provide a relative path like ./html/sub_page.html?

That means I'd need to create two different masterborders with two different nav bars to go to this one page due to the different path from "Home" and all the other pages, no?
    To use relative notation in a link or custom nav bar you would select (none) and enter the relative link information. Any time you do any relative linking in a masterborder with a site that is not published "flat" you will need to use separate masterborders for each folder level as the relative notation will be different even though you are going to the same page as you start at a different folder level.

As an alternative you can use an absolute external link (http.....). In this instance a single masterborder can be used on every page.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

I have the same issues, this happens when you break a larger site into "sub sites" you have to build all the nav bars custom, all the links from all the folder levels, (and the button text dont forget because the link name can't be the same) all the masterborders with multiple links to the same page(s) basically all the link management of NOF is effectively rendered useless. Using the relative links was a WAY bad idea, I had 6 different links to the same pages and had to move files to sub-folders inside the other nof sites, confusing NOF (and me) real good, not to mention breaking the CSS MLR files. Now I use the external linking as the least worst of the two, eventhough the local publish is kinda useless now, at least there is one link for one page. I have to publish to the web and test it all there, great fun when something goes wrong in the middle of it all, like NOF stops workng and the site is left broken for days while you wait for help to fix it, lol

Thumbs up

Having now used some of the workarounds, I still think that a check box that is something like "Do Not Update" rather than "Do Not Publish" would be useful. Split projects for large sites, as MikeOhlh outlined being one of them, or where it is necessary due to "incompatibilities" in NOF that forces the use of a separate publish for part of a site.

Or, if you've got a completed site with Content Management, and don't want to stomp on pages that have been updated by the client. One accidental "Publish All" when you only need to update one page can make for a very unhappy client whose changes have now been overwritten.

It would also be a way for a site in development to work as a "checklist" as pages are deemed complete. Check off a page and it no longer needs to be updated saving compile and file transfer time. In fact, they already have a box for it called "Page status" [_] Done. Except checking off the box doesn't actually do anything.

Yes, there are workarounds, but they are just that: "workarounds". Using external links/full URLs can be problematic if you've got a secure site, as these are often flagged as "external" and not secure and pop up warnings.

So the check box is already there ("Page status" [_] Done).
    The function to manually "Select Pages" to publish is already there.
    All that is needed is to link the two together.

I still think it has merit.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Don't know why I did not put in this URL http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4043

Not sure if it helps you or not with your issue.