Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMS - System Requirements

Question CMS - System Requirements

Howdy NOF folks,

My wife changed hair dressers and I made the website for her previous one. In nice way, the former hair dresser is now asking about doing the site herself, hosting and all, and wants to know how to go about it. She has no graphic ability, so still needs my support in that manner. Naturally I suggested NOF (Reseller Program NOF?). So I have three questions regarding me being able to service this person.

1. I can't seem to easily locate system requirements for v12 ?
    2. She's XP and I'm Win7. Will a template export/import from Win7 to XP have any issues?
    3. Regarding the CMS feature, I read http://netobjects.com/en/nof/12/00/docs/webhelp/ but still don't under how this works between two locations. I'm guessing the only way this works is on sites I create, then export via template to another NOF user? Then if they want changes required at my end, they must export their version to me, then I volley back?

TIA for your assistance,
    BA

Hello Beach Ape,

You should not have any issues between XP and Win 7, but I would recommend you take a look at Surreal CMS. It is extrremely easy to set up and they do offer a free version that would probably have and do anything you need. You could design the site and if it is not too complex all edits could be done through the CMS.

Just my thoughts.............
    David

Hi David - I'm well used to Surreal and have quite of number of people under my banner with it. The NOF CMS was abandoned (back in 10 I think?) and I see it now re-mentioned in the V12 Web Help. Hoping to gain some foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Ape View Post
    3. Regarding the CMS feature, I read http://netobjects.com/en/nof/12/00/docs/webhelp/ but still don't under how this works between two locations. I'm guessing the only way this works is on sites I create, then export via template to another NOF user? Then if they want changes required at my end, they must export their version to me, then I volley back?
    Did you ever use nPower? That's how this will work. Each location updates a local NOD and publishes to the same server and each publish includes a "version" file so that Site A knows that Site B updated and vice versa.

I used nPower for a couple of years and the clients all hated it. 99% of them screwed up big time and it was a time and money nightmare. Thus I am a BIG fan of Surreal, especially when you buy a Pro account. So easy
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Hi Paul.

I am considering Surreal CMS and was wondering if you know if it is possible to apply this to pages behind a protected directory. Several of my sites have password protected Members' areas. That is where I would like to deploy CMS.

Ritch
    NOF 2013: (AU1)......Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7601:SP1)
    Mac OSX 10.8.3.....Parallels Desktop 8 (8.0.18483)
    iMac 27" 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 i5.....12Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3

I have a client site that does exactly this. A good chunk of the site is for "members only" and requires username and password log-in. So all those pages are held in a folder on the server that is protected and as far as I remember the set-up in Surreal was the same as for ordinary pages. I can't remember exactly how I did the Surreal side now but I'm sure it was easy (I try very hard not to get difficult!!!).

If you already have a Surreal account doing a test run on your server should be a breeze. Shout if you need me to dig deeper at my Surreal setup
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Thanks Paul.

I'll get an account and try it out over the next few days. I'll report back on my efforts.

Ritch
    NOF 2013: (AU1)......Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Build 7601:SP1)
    Mac OSX 10.8.3.....Parallels Desktop 8 (8.0.18483)
    iMac 27" 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 i5.....12Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Ape View Post
    Hi David - I'm well used to Surreal and have quite of number of people under my banner with it. The NOF CMS was abandoned (back in 10 I think?) and I see it now re-mentioned in the V12 Web Help. Hoping to gain some foresight.

I didn't know that NOF had a CMS built program. Why did they abandon it?

nPower was the CMS and it was a standalone program. Basically a stripped down Fusion.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I've used this CMS for a client last year. Simple program. http://www.pagelime.com/. There should be a way to code in the NOF html pages where you can make them editable for the clients without them having to use a 2nd or 3rd party CMS program. I know some that are able to do it in D.W. So I know that it's possible in NOF.