Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restore site from a .tar.gz zipped file?

Default Restore site from a .tar.gz zipped file?

I have lost my site from the hard drive. My host sent me a back-up of the site as a zipped .tar.gz file.

How the heck can I convert this to a template that can be used to recreate my site in NOF 7 ?

I am using Windows XP. I am completely lost and would appreciate any suggestions. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I have lost my site from the hard drive. My host sent me a back-up of the site as a zipped .tar.gz file.

How the heck can I convert this to a template that can be used to recreate my site in NOF 7 ?

I am using Windows XP. I am completely lost and would appreciate any suggestions. Mike
    If you can get yourself a usb toaster and you put your fried drive in to the freezer you may just have enough time to copy your files to a working drive before it goes down again.

The short of it all is... No back-up equals no back-up. I am sure you lost a lot more than your Fusion database file.

If you just lost the files and the drive is fine, you can try to use windows explorer and search for ?????.nod (where ???? is the actual name of the file you want to find). There are also some real good un-do delete programs that you can use to try to bring back an aaccidentallydeleted file.

More info from you regarding what you mean by "lost" will get you some better answers......
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Everything was lost from my computer due to a hard drive crash and I have a new computer. My web host sent me a back up copy of the website as a zipped tar.gz file.

I need to convert the .tar.gz file to a template that I can use in NOF 7 to recreate the website.

"More info from you regarding what you mean by "lost" will get you some better answers"......[/QUOTE]

Once you decompress the files for your site, you can make a new site from those files... but you will have a lot of cleanup to do.

First of all, you should upgrade to a newer version of Fusion. Either Fusion 12 (recently released) or Fusion Essentials (free). Essentials is 7.5 with a facelift.

How many pages are in your site? Re-creating it using the content you currently have online may be the path of least resistance.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I need to convert the .tar.gz file to a template that I can use in NOF 7 to recreate the website.
    Recreate the site on your hard drive from the files sent to you
    Open Fusion and from the menu bar select File > New Site > From Existing Web Site.
    Naviate to the root folder and select index.html
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thanks Turtle: That sounds right to the point. But what do I do after selecting index.html? Mike

Thanks Turtle: That sounds right to the point. But what do I do after selecting index.html? Mike
    Fusion will automaticly reconstruct the database file from the html documets (or it will attempt to reconstruct). Most of the time you end up with weeks of additional work trying to get everything to look half way decent again.

If you would post a URL of your site so everyone can see how it is constructed you may get better suggestions.

Dear Turtle: Thanks for getting back to me again.

NOF says "file doesn't exist." Could it be that NOF doesn't recognize it because the backup is a .tar.gz file and not a .zip?

Anyway you can think of to work around this problem? Thank you for your trouble. Mike www.training2run.com

Dear Turtle: Thanks for getting back to me again.

NOF says "file doesn't exist." Could it be that NOF doesn't recognize it because the backup is a .tar.gz file and not a .zip?

Anyway you can think of to work around this problem? Thank you for your trouble. Mike www.training2run.com
    You have to uncompress the file that was sent. once you do that you will have the full domain file structure. Then you can use Fusion on the uncompressed files.

This URL will explain what you have and how to get your files out of it:

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/1072
    Last edited by gotFusion; 02-13-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: better explanation URL

Dear Turtle...oops, should that be "got fusion?" Sorry about that.

Thanks or putting me on the right track.

I don't know how I finally did it; but after screwing around I finally got the backup site folder from my host opened, unpacked and loaded into Essentials.

As I had been warned, the formatting is completely screwed up. It's been a few years, so I will have to re-learn NOF and probably spend a few months cleaning up the site.

Several years ago I printed out the manual for MX. Are the procedures for Essentials similar to those of MX? Do you think I can use the MX manual without getting into too much trouble?

Thanks again for your help. Mike
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 02-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.