Thread: Back After A Long Layoff

Default Back After A Long Layoff

Hi Fusion Community,

I am back after several years of being away from NOF. Anyway, I was excited to see V12 come out but have since been reading the forums on a number of issues with the new version. I have a Dell solid state 64bit / Win7 OS... does anyone foresee any problems with this? Also, I have V11... should I wait for the V12 patch and stick with 11? Have several projects to work on and would like to avoid unnecessary headaches as much as possible.

Shout out to Chuck J. It's been a while since we talked.

Thanks,

Steve

HI Steve

As I understand it, NOF12 works as well with Win7 as with earlier operating systems -
    and doesn't require to be run as administrator. (I'm still on XP Pro - so can't comment).

I have had unresolved issues with NOF12 crashing and locking up the entire computer,
    sometimes on brand new sites and sometimes on sites imported from NOF11.

There are known issues with NOF12 which are due to be fixed with the release of '12.1' -
    although nobody from NOF is making any promises as to when that might be.

One of the major
    annoyances for me is that NOF's global setting for image optimisation doesn't work -
    and so the program insists (by default) on re-optimising my already-optimised images -
    each one has to have its properties manually set.
    A similar bug makes transparent graphics/titles in page banners unusable.

These things have work-arounds - but, if you don't have to upgrade then I'd stick with 11 for the time being. Speaking personally, the main benefit of 12 seems to be an increase in speed.....

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    Hi Fusion Community,
    Hi Steve You'll feel right at home. We're all Fusion-caholics here... Oh wait... wrong group

There is an issue with autogenerated transparent graphics but other than that everything is just fine and dandy with the new product. This will only effect you if you use transparent banners or navigation buttons. Sitting the graphic to the same color as the background is the simple work around Now this won't work if your site background is a graphic but what the heck, use Fusion 11 for sites that fall into that narrow niche until the first update is released.

The GUI is almost identical between 11 and 12 but the underlying code base has been improved greatly (it works faster and more efficiently). You also have some 21st century doctypes to choose from which are not available in 11 so you can do many more things within Fusion that required the new doctypes to work.

I'd say grab your speedo and jump right in with the rest of us
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Steve,

I have to agree with Mike EXCEPT for the speedo part....not a pretty picture :-). V12 has been great from my standpoint. A few issues but nothing that can't be worked around while waiting for the update. Just in speed alone, well worth the investment.

David

Steve - welcome back.

I know you don't use the banners in Fusion and probably not the built-in navbars either, so the transparency bug isn't gonna bite you.

12 is blazing fast compared to 11 and earlier.

More reasons to upgrade than to stand pat.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Thanks to everyone for all the honest feedback. I'm glad to hear that the existing bugs do not present too much of a problem from a development standpoint. I'm leaning more towards trying out V12.

Chuck, you're right, I don't use the banners or nav bars in NOF. I also want to chat about working on projects. Let me know how to contact you.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve -

Haven't moved anywhere. (-:

Chuck at Beyond Fusion ... for over seven years now.

While you were away, AllWebMenus has come a long way as well. Works great with Fusion 12.

Likno has also released several jQuery interface programs for things like tooltips, accordions, modal windows and tabs.

They're all listed on Beyondfusion.com with tutorials on a couple of them. More on the way.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums