Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Content Management System

Default Content Management System

Imo, this would be good if NOF added this feature. I read somewhere CMS was once part of the program before NOF 10. Idk if that's true or not, but it would be cool to see this feature added because I have some things that need to be CMS for members profile etc.

That was nPower. Horrid monstrosity!

If you need CMS on the cheap look at Surreal CMS or Cushy CMS. Surreal rocks!
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    That was nPower. Horrid monstrosity!

If you need CMS on the cheap look at Surreal CMS or Cushy CMS. Surreal rocks!
    I am trying to read about Surreal CMS now on their website. You said it Rocks so I am assuming that it work very very well with NOF sites so any customer that wants to up date certain pages or all of their pages can do so and can re-upload them back to the websites original sitting spot and they do not even need a copy of NOF at all?? Any other info you can to pass along on your experiences on it please feel feel to do so.

Larry,

Correct!

Well, I could write chapter and verse on Surreal but fortunately Mike (gotFusion) already has - he has a great tutorial on Surreal and NOF (he had a little help from his friends ) that is written in 2 parts - basic and advanced.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?ItemID=4076

My best advice is to set up a free account to start with and create a site for CMS and then put yourself in the client's shoes and see it from their side...and how that affects you as developer. You can design and manage the site as you would normally if you think it through properly first.

Also do a forum search here looking for CMS, Surreal or Cushy and you'll find lots of useful info - much of it from me!

And finally, just drop me a line PM if you need further assistance or advice. Happy to help.

EDIT: Did I mention that Surreal provide a white label manual? So you can totally customise it using your own graphics if required. Awesome feature IMO. Also if you can use the CNAME feature you can even make the CMS side look like your own site. Oh and every client change results in an email from the CMS to you so you know when and what page your client has edited.
    Last edited by Adendum; 03-26-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added info
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

I have never used a CMS at all, I guess never really had a reason too but I can see where it might be a issue down the road so I suppose I will be looking into it and trying it out, and yes probably will have alot of questions maybe, I did read his first tutorial on it but am not a member that way to log in and read the 2nd one. So maybe sometime I can do that, thanks.
    Larry

Happy to help anytime. So just ask when ready. Have PM'd you too.

From the time you started using Surreal CMS Paul how long did it take you you catch on to it and have it down pat?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry5000 View Post
    From the time you started using Surreal CMS Paul how long did it take you you catch on to it and have it down pat?
    Once you have your surreal account set up you use a web browser to log into their system and edit the pages using their rich text area interface. It's just like writing an email except the content is displayed on the web page.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks Mike for that bit of information

Larry,

The technical side is very easy. You are just adding a simple line of code <div class="editable"> to your layout element(s).

The "hardest" part is figuring out the best way to manage the NOF construction so you don't accidentally overwrite the editable pages again.

Client wise, it's as Mike says, very easy to use and if you create your own user manual (from the Surreal white label manual) you should be able to anticipate 99% of any client questions.