Thread: Cannot Install NOF 12 on Windows XP

Default Cannot Install NOF 12 on Windows XP

I downloaded the software several times in the course of troubleshooting this problem. When I run the installation I get the message "Unable to create public folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12". I am SO DEAD IN THE WATER. Can anyone help? It's not the antivirus software, I disabled it and still got the same message.

Rick A,

We have not been able to reproduce your issue. For now, you might want to try creating that folder yourself manually through Windows Explorer, and then run the Fusion installation program again.

Steve C.
    NetObjects Development

Steve,

Here is the stroke by stroke chronology. At the NOF window it asks for a decision between "Standard" and "Custom". I choose "Custom". The next NOF window says "Install NetObjects Fusion 12.0 to: C\Program Files\NetObjects\NetObjects Fusion 12.0". I hit the "Change button. The next window gives me the file directory and the window asks me to "Choose Directory". I put in the path "C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12" and click Ok. I get the same message "Unable to create public folder C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0." It's as if the program didn't acknowledge my path. However the NOF window shows the path was changed and it looked like this "Install NetObjects Fusion 12.0 to: C\...\Shared Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12". The NOF program seems to ignore my path change.

Default Same Problem Here

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Steve,

Here is the stroke by stroke chronology. At the NOF window it asks for a decision between "Standard" and "Custom". I choose "Custom". The next NOF window says "Install NetObjects Fusion 12.0 to: C\Program Files\NetObjects\NetObjects Fusion 12.0". I hit the "Change button. The next window gives me the file directory and the window asks me to "Choose Directory". I put in the path "C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12" and click Ok. I get the same message "Unable to create public folder C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12.0." It's as if the program didn't acknowledge my path. However the NOF window shows the path was changed and it looked like this "Install NetObjects Fusion 12.0 to: C\...\Shared Documents\NetObjects Fusion 12". The NOF program seems to ignore my path change.
    Rick A,
    I'm also trying to install on XP (as an administrator) and I'm having the same problem. The install dies with "Unable to create public folder C:\documents and settings\all users\documents\Net Objects Fusion 12.0". I tried to manually create the 'documents' folder and 'access is denied'. In my case, there's already a "C:\documents and settings\all users\shared documents" folder.

I've tried the install using the 'Custom' install option and the default install option and both give the same error.

I'm thinking this is some kind of permission problem. If I go to that path and try to manually create the 'Documents' folder below 'all users', I get a warning from XP "Cannot rename 'New Folder'. A file with the same name already exists. Specify a different name." I assume it's referring to the 'Shared Documents' folder.
    Last edited by HerrS; 03-14-2011 at 03:05 AM.

I think I've solved this install problem. As I said above, I suspected that this was a 'permissions' problem in the All Users folder, so this is what I tried:

Navigate to the Documents and Settings\All Users folder
    Right-click the Shared Documents folder and select Properties
    On Properties, select the Sharing tab
    In the 'Network sharing and security' section, checkmark the 'Share this folder on the network' and in the 'Share name:' edit area, make sure it shows 'Documents'
    Then, in the 'Network sharing and security' section, checkmark the 'Allow network users to change my files'
    Click OK
    Install NOF12

So far, NOF12 seems to be working fine. I imported a template from NOF11 and it seemed to work OK, too.

I'm not sure if all of the steps above are actually necessary, but that's what I did. I may go back and uncheck one or both items and see what effect it has. I don't like letting other network users change the files in this folder.

By the way, this computer had NOF Essentials installed and, during the install process, NOF12 wasn't able to 'find' the serial number from the prior version, so I had to copy it into the install prompt.

After I installed I went back in and unchecked 'Allow network users to change my files' and, so far, it didn't seem to affect anything. Not sure if this change will hold up and not cause some problem down the line, but so far, so good.