Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fusion 12 crashes when adding an e commerce site and just after importing

That might take me a while with the large inventory I have. I will have to revert back to NOF 11 until they can fix NOF12.

Quote Originally Posted by automaster209ca View Post
    That might take me a while with the large inventory I have. I will have to revert back to NOF 11 until they can fix NOF12.
    If you have a large inventory you should be running it out of a database and not using static pages.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I'm having the same problem with the store component. I began with Fusion Essentials and had a nightmarish experience, so I upgraded to NOF 12. Believe it or not, 12 crashes even more frequently. Wondering if I didn't throw my money away. I've read all the posts on this subject and have followed all the suggestions: Java download, Java settings, (compatibility settings doesn't even offer Windows 7 as an option?!), run program as administrator, re-optimize and export template...nothing works. Something as simple as pressing the "name" button to format the label causes it to go down. I have 4 store pages with 27 items each, so it's not a remarkably large database.
    The only alternative I see is the suggestion to use Mals E Store and rebuild from scratch. I shouldn't have to take that step and am extremely hesitant to sign up with a payment solution that I've never heard of when everything about my NOF experience so far has just screamed "fly-by-night". No offense, but perceptions are critical and this program has not inspired a lot of confidence. (Speaking of perceptions, why would anyone use the word "mal" in any product related to computers/software?? That turned me off immediately.)
    Seems to me that NOF should provide a stable, functional shopping cart component or scrap it entirely and leave the job to a 3rd party plug-in. I do hope that someone can provide some useful direction. Otherwise I have no choice but to give up and return the product. If I have to build this site from scratch for a third time I will do it with Dreamweaver. Kicking myself for not just forking over the money for that in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by 1968jmw View Post
    I'm having the same problem with the store component. I began with Fusion Essentials and had a nightmarish experience, so I upgraded to NOF 12. Believe it or not, 12 crashes even more frequently.
    Are you using IE 8 or IE 9 ?

If you go DW you are still going to have to use a 3rd party store/cart. There is no native cart system in CS5. The type of cart system you ultimately use will depend entirely on what your web host offers for dynamic languages and databases on your hosting account.

If you don't want to use mals-e you can take a look at some of the stand alone cart systems. I offer OS Commerce, cubeCart and Zen Cart with my hosting services, all of which are 1 click installs with Fantastico. Check with your web host, they may offer some too.

Integrating a 3rd party cart is going to be the same amount of work regardless of which html authoring software you decide to use.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thank you for your speedy reply. I'm using IE8 and I understand that I will have to use a 3rd party cart with DW. Hosting through GoDaddy, so I don't expect any problem there. I guess the bottom line is that if I am forced to use a 3rd party cart solution in any case then I don't see a lot of point in using NetObjects at all. The main reason I purchased it was because it ostensibly had an integrated shopping cart. Guess that was an empty claim.

Did you bring an older site from essentials into Fusion 12 or did you start a clean site in 12?

You may want to start with a clean site rather than bring in something that may have issues.

Most of the problems users have are with corrupted project files, not with the Fusion software.

Yes, I did import from from Essentials and the entire layout was destroyed when I did so, my second major frustration. No backwards compatibility with their own software that they are still currently offering to the public?? Doesn't make sense from a business standpoint if they want to encourage uptake of the paid product. Bottom line is that the corrupted files were created by their own software. In my humble opinion it would be wise for them to either fix Essentials or scrap the product entirely and just offer a 15-30-day trial of NOF12. I was a market researcher for 8 years and I can tell you it couldn't possibly amount to much good for them to continue with the current way of doing things. If you have contact with the company please pass the suggestion along.
    I will start for a third time completely from scratch, first deleting all previous website files and beginning with the store pages so I don't get too far into it before discovering problems if they arise again. Just please tell me that I don't have to redesign all my orginal buttons and banners again. That would be a deal breaker.
    Again, thank you for your guidance.
    J

Ian

Default Re: Fusion 12 crashes when adding an e commerce site and just after importing

"1968jmw" wrote in message
    news:1968jmw.4r9ruq@no-mx.forums.netobjects.com...

I'm having the same problem with the store component. I began with
    Fusion Essentials and had a nightmarish experience, so I upgraded to NOF
    12. Believe it or not, 12 crashes even more frequently. Wondering if I
    didn't throw my money away. I've read all the posts on this subject and
    have followed all the suggestions: Java download, Java settings,
    (compatibility settings doesn't even offer Windows 7 as an option?!),
    run program as administrator, re-optimize and export template...nothing
    works. Something as simple as pressing the "name" button to format the
    label causes it to go down. I have 4 store pages with 27 items each, so
    it's not a remarkably large database.
    The only alternative I see is the suggestion to use Mals E Store and
    rebuild from scratch. I shouldn't have to take that step and am
    extremely hesitant to sign up with a payment solution that I've never
    heard of when everything about my NOF experience so far has just
    screamed "fly-by-night". No offense, but perceptions are critical and
    this program has not inspired a lot of confidence. (Speaking of
    perceptions, why would anyone use the word "mal" in any product related
    to computers/software?? That turned me off immediately.)
    Seems to me that NOF should provide a stable, functional shopping cart
    component or scrap it entirely and leave the job to a 3rd party plug-in.
    I do hope that someone can provide some useful direction. Otherwise I
    have no choice but to give up and return the product. If I have to build
    this site from scratch for a third time I will do it with Dreamweaver.
    Kicking myself for not just forking over the money for that in the first
    place...

Mals-e is actually a very good cart option and quite easy to get up and
    running. It also offers an affiliate option which works well with NOF. I've
    used it for many years on a number of sites.Others within these groups have
    also used it and there is a free option if you want it.

The reason it's called Mals-e is that the owner of the company is called
    Malcolm. Often gets shortened to Mal in the UK which is where he originated
    from.

Ian

Have thrown away every file and started from scratch. NO still crashes when I try to configure the store with no other pages and with no data in the store at all.
    Conclusion = it's a piece of shit. Will not be bothered to try any other solutions.