Thread: Oddly bolded text?

Question Oddly bolded text?

A couple of my students's web sites have some oddly-bolded text and I'd appreciate any help anyone might offer on troubleshooting and fixing the problem. The screen shots below (probably in the wrong order) show unbolded text in Design view, but bolded text in Preview/published view. The bolded Georgia text in the table is the same style as the unbolded Georgia text toward the bottom of the screen shot. I don't see any evidence of the bold attribute being applied manually. (bold text in preview/published web site in screen shot on left, correct unbolded text in Design view in screen shot on right)

Students created a plain sitestyle, then created a couple of new text styles (one with Verdana bold and one with Verdana regular) and used that to format their text.

They also edited the attributes of Normal, Unordered List, and Ordered list to be Georgia, and Heading 1-3 to be Verdana.

They created a table, then pasted their resume (formatted in a table) from Word into one cell of the table (embedded table). They pasted as HTML format so they didn't lose the table from Word and they edited the layout properties HTML to remove the formatting that comes in from Word. (I have just checked one of the web site files and have confirmed that that was done).

I would really like to know what causes the phantom bold text, how to troubleshoot it, and how to fix it. I can provide a link to the actual web site via PM but don't want to post it here because this is a student web site and privacy is a concern.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoldProb2..png 
Views:	250 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoldProb1..png 
Views:	249 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	838  
    Last edited by Liz; 02-18-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarifying screen shots

Without seeing the underlying html code and the css files no one will be able to help you outside of telling you to look at the html code and css files to find where the problem is located.

URL please?
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

gotFusion,

I don't feel comfortable providing the URL in public, but can do so via e-mail or PM. Privacy issues and all that!

liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    gotFusion,

I don't feel comfortable providing the URL in public, but can do so via e-mail or PM. Privacy issues and all that!

liz
    I can understand your concern.

If you look at the html document (view source) and look at the CSS files (there are several of them) you will find that somewhere there is a bold declaration that is being applied to the block of text that is bold.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Any idea how such a thing might get in there? It strikes me as strange that it happened to two students and not all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Any idea how such a thing might get in there? It strikes me as strange that it happened to two students and not all the others.
    Not without looking at the pages and css files. Fusion will do what ever it is told to do, even if it is not what you want it to do

I, too, have repeatedly faced this problem. But, unfortunately, I can't help you with anything. Your students are great. And I'm sure you are a good teacher because you are worried about your students. But sometimes teachers don't think about how hard it can be to complete assignments. When it came time to go to university, I decided to apply personal statement writing service I was just afraid to make a mistake and wanted to avoid stress. I really enjoy direct communication with writers. I wanted to be confident in the professionalism of the authors and received information that they are going through an ordeal before being hired