Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why upgrade?

You will never find any software vendor who announces anything before the release date. This isn't like the auto industry where you can read in the trade publications when and where the model year auto show will be held.

I, for one, hope that they take as much time as required to fix the issues that are present in the latest release of the product. I don't really care how long it takes as long is the issues are corrected.

Management level NetO people have already said that an update is in the works. Other than what upper level management have already said, there is little else I can add.

I'm just a user... just like everyone else on here.... I put my pants on every morning the same way you do... one leg at a time
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    You will never find any software vendor who announces anything before the release date. This isn't like the auto industry where you can read in the trade publications when and where the model year auto show will be held.

I, for one, hope that they take as much time as required to fix the issues that are present in the latest release of the product. I don't really care how long it takes as long is the issues are corrected.

Management level NetO people have already said that an update is in the works. Other than what upper level management have already said, there is little else I can add.

I'm just a user... just like everyone else on here.... I put my pants on every morning the same way you do... one leg at a time
    Mike
    You have a very 'laid-back' view of the whole thing, and, I'd suggest, you may not be typical of the average NOF user - who just wants the software to work as described.

Netobjects _must_ have a release plan for V12.1 - it would just be useful (to me) to know whether that plan indicates a release of 12.1 in the next month / 3 months / 6 months / year / whatever.

I know that you don't have that info - but somebody from Netobjects who is reading this _does_

Because of its inherent structure, NOF is, for developers like me, a 'dead-end street' - once you have gone down that road with a number of client websites, there's no real alternative (short of spending an awful lot of effort to re-build the client sites in an alternative environment).
    That's why I've stuck with NOF from V8, and waited (more or less!) patiently for 18 months for V12.

Having shelled out the cash for V12 (and suffering the NOF/Euro pricing ripoff) - it's frustrating to find that some of the things that worked in V11 now don't work in V12, and to get the impression that Netobjects, in their development ivory tower, can't be bothered to give us mere users even the slightest clue as to when the first bug-fix release is scheduled/expected.

Adrian

Back to the topic...

What is new and improved with the "Photo Galleries"

I believe the reference was to the Image Bank free content update.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

So Ver 12 has the same Galleries as we have in Ver11? And no improvements other than the "Image Bank"?

Mike meant the update since the release of 12 was to the image bank...

Yes, the photo galleries are the same as in 11.

Here's a page I did showing just the new things in 12. Using content from NetObjects.

http://www.beyondfusion.com/html/fusion12.php
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

I am also itching to know even hints on what is to come but i reckon that the only way to have an idea is join the beta testing team. It is not only about looking for bugs that will be reported but have a feel of the new update on your own. I think that we will have updates on this when its out already.

I asked this question of Netobjects via the support email

"Please can you suggest an outline timescale for this V12.1 release......
    are we talking one more month, two more months.... or what ?"

and got this answer

"We are highly hoping for the first option, however, we cannot tell this for sure as our team is trying to cover as many situations as possible, without damaging the parts that are working properly."

Disarming honesty! - and perhaps it's deliberately 'dumbed-down' in its language,
    but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of structure to their software engineering process.

I'm really not trying to be critical, and (when it's working) I do like NOF12 - but it's scary to
    think that the continued profitability of my web design business is possibly resting on such an unstable
    platform.... or perhaps NOF's email gives the wrong impression of their development methods?

Adrian

They maybe are just waiting for some more showstoppers that might appear in the first months of the new release. It's hard to believe that the picture issues can't be fixed within a few minutes.
    Dell Precision T7500 : Xeon 5860 : ATI FirePro V8800 : Win7x64 : www.microartwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by cyana View Post
    They maybe are just waiting for some more showstoppers that might appear in the first months of the new release. It's hard to believe that the picture issues can't be fixed within a few minutes.
    Possibly - but how many showstoppers do you need ? <g>

The apparent lack of any development plan, or even any way of ensuring that
    'fixing this doesn't break that' is worrying - and suggests that 12.1 might come along with
    another new and exciting set of 'undocumented features'......

Adrian